Thread: (Elite) Order Ranger?!

(Elite) Order Ranger?!

I have a player who would like to start off the campaign as a Ranger. Since Ranger is an Elite order and I didn't want to hand out advancements right at the start, I was wondering what basic order I should advise him to take (prob. simple fighter) or if you have an idea how to downgrade Ranger to a basic order. As Aragorn is one, the Rangers are very interesting for nbew players.
    I'd probably think of making Ranger a basic order in any updated CODA Version that might be published, so that it's choosable very early on...

Thoughts?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    I have a player who would like to start off the campaign as a Ranger. Since Ranger is an Elite order and I didn't want to hand out advancements right at the start, I was wondering what basic order I should advise him to take (prob. simple fighter) or if you have an idea how to downgrade Ranger to a basic order. As Aragorn is one, the Rangers are very interesting for nbew players.
    I'd probably think of making Ranger a basic order in any updated CODA Version that might be published, so that it's choosable very early on...

Thoughts?!
    Start with Warrior and move on from there. Yes, Aragorn was a Ranger, but he also had scads of advancements...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Rogue is another good order for a Ranger-in-training. Class skills are about the same, it just depnds on what class abilities the player wants.

I'd suggest that the player take a (full-fledged) Ranger for an Ally. It will provide him with someone to train the character and later intiate the character into the Rangers proper. (Oh, and it also gives you a big carrot to dangle in front of the PC that you can use to get him involved into all sorts of adventures).

Thanks guys.

Yeah, Aragorn has some advancements already, I realised that
    It's just, that due to the fact that he is one of the main characters he is likely to be sort of a template of what players might want to play, like Han Solo or starfighter pilots like Luke or Wedge are those characters that my Star Wars group usualy had in mind, before I told them there is so much more to play

Personally I like the rogue idea of tonyg of starting as a rogue better than as a warrior, but as I know my player, I will probably have him build a warrior anyway

Are we talking about a Ranger of the North, a Ranger of Gondor, or just someone who has comparable skills? Remeber that profession and order are only losely correlated I am not even sure if I would place Faramir in the Ranger Order, but he is a Ranger of Ithilien.

My take on those three options, that I am sure some will object

* Rangers of Gondor, a formal part of Gondors army. Most likely recruited from the archers (still not talking about the order ). They are most likely normal "middle men" and not Dunedain. Most nobles of Gondor would probably go for the shiny armour and become knights. So most rangers would probably be from the best of the common people. Faramir however is a noble, but he is after all the son of the Steward and their commander.
    They are most likey to operate in small units, 10-20 men, and they receive their missions through the chain of command.
    Start with warrior.

* Ranger of the North, Most likely a Dunedian only organisation. To me, all of the armed forces of the Dunedain up there would be considered a Ranger as long they have sworn to uphold the traditions of Dunedain and fight to keep the land of the old kingdom safe. The elite of those Rangers are the guys, maybe even gals, that have the Ranger Order. They are much more loosely organisated and are much more likely to operate alone or in informal groups.
    Start with warrior (an aspiring ranger that is more interrested in swordplay and archery) or rogue (more interrested in getting around undetected, not in helping people from the burden of their money ).

* Someone that have the skills, but not part of either of the above... anything goes

I seem to recall that most, if not all, Rangers of Gondor were Dúnedain. At any rate, they are former inhabitants of Ithilien (or their descendants) who swore to defend their homeland after Mordor renewed the attack on Gondor.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

Yeah, I believe the Rangers of Gondor and probably Dunedain, too. I get the imporession that it is a family lineage thing in both groups. Possibly something like a hostroical Order, so maybe they are "Knights" as well-at least in the culteral sense.

IMO all the woodcraft and steath stuff is not so much by choice, but just because that is the only way they can be effective against the forces of the Enemy over a long term.

I think the "Rangers of the North" are probably fairly well interspersed with the Elves of Rivendell, so there are elf rangers (possibly not in name, but in fuction and allies).

I really thingk a Ranger mentor for an ally will help give a fledgling character the feel of being a ranger-in-training as opposed to feeling like just another warrior/rogue or whatever.

I think the "Rangers of the North" are probably fairly well interspersed with the Elves of Rivendell, so there are elf rangers (possibly not in name, but in fuction and allies).
    Yeah, I definitely see some elves from the Wandering Companies picking some Advancements in the Ranger order. I don't think they'd be called "Rangers" in the same sense the northern dúnedain would, but they'd be similar in function indeed.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Novaes
    Yeah, I definitely see some elves from the Wandering Companies picking some Advancements in the Ranger order. I don't think they'd be called "Rangers" in the same sense the northern dúnedain would, but they'd be similar in function indeed.

Yeah, but I could certainly see such elves being refered to as "ranger-friend". They probably go orc hunting with the Rangers.