Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CODA - Federation Starships 2260s

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    But what does that mean?
    Generally... either lighter or less all-around capable.

Interesting. Looks nice. SOme questions/suggestions:

1) On page 4 What is the 16 max power for the PFF2a deflector shield used for?

2) How come the sensor bonuses are so high? Personal preference or am I missing something on how you plan to use sensors? Those ER sensors are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    1) On page 4 What is the 16 max power for the PFF2a deflector shield used for?
    It's a FASA equivalent which I didn't edit out. Feel free to ignore it.

2) How come the sensor bonuses are so high? Personal preference or am I missing something on how you plan to use sensors? Those ER sensors are fantastic.
    Note that they're enchanced systems, just already pre-built. The LR is enhanced once, and is what the Enterprise carries. The ER is enhanced twice, and is what the Hermes and Capella carries. (At a massive 13 space, a lot of the actual ship is dedicated to sensors!)

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    Generally... either lighter or less all-around capable.
    or no TV series

Note that they're enchanced systems, just already pre-built. The LR is enhanced once, and is what the Enterprise carries. The ER is enhanced twice, and is what the Hermes and Capella carries. (At a massive 13 space, a lot of the actual ship is dedicated to sensors!)
    How did you work that out point/bonus wise? I did notice that they were expensive, but for +9 at PB range I wasn't gonna complain.

BTW, it might be better just to give LR and ER range sensors a bonus to scans at longer ranges. Maybe adjust numbers for TABLE 1.9 LR sensor bonus in the STARSHIPS BOOK. Adding +5LY/1LY to the sensor range is probably worth a lot more than a numerical bonus.
    THat way, just because they an detect something twice as far away desn't mean they can read the dedication plaque at 20 km.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    How did you work that out point/bonus wise? I did notice that they were expensive, but for +9 at PB range I wasn't gonna complain.
    They're just using the 'enchanced' trait on the sensors, only pre-made. (pg 144). The idea is that the sensors are much more detailed, not longer range - particularly for looking for things like cloaked ships, etc.

And, of course, at 13 spaces if you want that ER suite (like the Hermes has), you're going to be designing your entire ship around them.

They're just using the 'enchanced' trait on the sensors, only pre-made. (pg 144). The idea is that the sensors are much more detailed, not longer range - particularly for looking for things like cloaked ships, etc.

And, of course, at 13 spaces if you want that ER suite (like the Hermes has), you're going to be designing your entire ship around them.
    Okay, if they are made with the enhanced rules (I was assuming LR was long range and ER was extended range-serves me right for assuming things). THen shouldn't the Type III ER be 7/6/5/4/4 not 9/4/5/4/4 ?

Also, I can see a potential problem: What happens when someone is designing a ship and they enhance a LR or ER sensor suite.? Might be a good idea to note that they are enhanced (or just to list them as Class III Enhanced 1, and 2 in the chart) so someone doesn't accidentally breaks the +4 limit rule and comes up with a +11 sensor suit.

Some of the other systems with built in enhancements might have that problem too.
    Last edited by tonyg; 06-20-2006 at 02:25 PM.

"Okay, when I finish Jaynz #2 (which should be today, if I buckle down on it), my next project is going to be a brief CODA guide to building Federation ships in the TOS era. So, here's the question for ya'll... what Federation TOS-era ships should be included? I'm looking for a good cross-section of vessels from pretty much any source."

1) Constitution Class

How about

2) Saladin

I rather like this ship. Yes its lesser than a costitution class but its still a fun little design.
    I plan on running a game with a "haunted" Saladin class so any thing you do on it is great for me.
    any thoughts on doing Vulcan ships of this era? What did the Cardassians have in use at this time?

Oh, I forgot....Hi long time stalker first time poster.

Hmm, you know what? You're quite right!

So, to make up for it, attached is the WIP so far, which includes a lot of TOS-specific starship stuff (though not too well organized yet), the Constitution, Saladin, Hermes, and DY-100 classes.
    Looks good. How's Jaynz 2 coming along?
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    Looks good. How's Jaynz 2 coming along?
    I was hoping to get some arguments settled on the mechanics of the PB-32.. but I think I'm going to just make some bold declrations on my own. It's the last article in Jaynz #2, and I've stalled long enough on it. It'll be done tommorow.

"To boldly declare what no one has declared before..."

Keep up the good work!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    "To boldly declare what no one has declared before..."

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks! Well, Jaynz #2 is up finally, so the next thing is to get another pass on the Coda guide today, and add a couple of ships to it. I'm doing a lot of little things today, but that shouldn't be too much to add, I don't think.

How about the Federation Class dreadnought, and the Coventry Class frigate designs?

You've put an awful lot of good stuff up- it's hard to choose.

Wink

Having seen your homepage, it looks to me like you've got enough ships for Jaynz #3,4, and 5 at least. And a whole lot more, if you ever go mad and start turning all those grayscale ships into images for that work.

I wonder if you ever feel the same way I've felt lately... I'm working on so many little projects lately that I can't seem to get ANY of them done. It seems I spend more time frozen in indecision about which one to work on than I do actually working on them.

TYpical Fo2 day:

Fo2: "Okay, the computer's finally booted up - damn Norton anyway - now, do I do my image surfing for my collection... or update my shiplist... or finally revamp the UberGeeky Ship Page with the new files I've already done... or *checks to see if gf is still watching TV* ...surf for pr0n? Naah... I've got 7 novels on my 'to-read' list and I've got 3 more books coming before month's end... Probably should get my day projects together for the kids for Summer Fun Week... I wonder what's new on Amazon... I need to check the attic for surprises... Summer is halfway over and I haven't glued ONE piece of my NX-01 model to another... Oh look, there's a new Mah-Jongg set..." *Zones out*

GF: Hey... spend time with me! Let's watch every episode on DVD of that series I love and you are bored by back-to-back while I talk through it anyway and you make me lunch what're you doing on the computer are you looking at naked girls better not be are you ever going to finish building that cupboard or how about that starship model you were building mow the lawn do the dishes take the trash out vacuum do the laundry and by the way have I told you 27 times today yet how my family sucks?

Life... love it, or leave it.