Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Enterprise Class

[QUOTE=TFVanguard]The Federation existed since the initial pitch, but the nature of it changed. It went from being the United Nations to the 'Ideal United Nations Government' somewhere along the line. [/QUOTE}

Gotta disagree with you here. According to all the "making of" and "behind the scenese" stuff I read, the creators were unsuare as to what agency the Enterprise answered to. THat was why nothing was mentioned early on, and then we got UESPA. Legend has it that after being exposed to the term "first Federation" in "The Corbomite Maneuver" the creative staff liked the term so much that they lifted it. It also led to a more multi-species "cosmopolitan" govermenent than the orginal "Earth-centric" theories.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    Bah! They were cadets who trained under Captain Duck Dodgers!
    Ah. That would be the 24th & a half century, and I was running in the 25th century. They would have been in thier 70s. Probably retired or promoted to flag rank by then.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    Gotta disagree with you here. According to all the "making of" and "behind the scenese" stuff I read, the creators were unsuare as to what agency the Enterprise answered to.
    In the original pitch, the 'Federation' is a collection of Earth and her colony worlds. (Page Nine). This is obviously much different than the very United Nations like Federation in "Journey to Babel".

Ah. That would be the 24th & a half century, and I was running in the 25th century. They would have been in thier 70s. Probably retired or promoted to flag rank by then.
    Wonder what happened to Cadet Pig, then?

In the original pitch, the 'Federation' is a collection of Earth and her colony worlds. (Page Nine). This is obviously much different than the very United Nations like Federation in "Journey to Babel".
    I would love to know where you got a copy of the supposed pitch.

Wonder what happened to Cadet Pig, then?
    Went down with the U.S.S. Applesauce The offical log listed that he died serving the Federation (about 250 servings), and commended him for his outstant taste (delicious). ("T-T-T-That's all folks!")

Yeah, I know, "I'm dessspicable!"

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    I would love to know where you got a copy of the supposed pitch.
    Forget the site where I got it from, but the pitch is attached to this reply in PDF form. It is legitimate, and was confirmed by Paramount.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the pdf!

I've seen that before in one of the Making of Trek books. I don't however see "the Federation" listed in it. Just a comment on "Federated Commcerce" which isn't the same thing. Federated Commerce could be a Merchant Marine.

I do, however, like the Yorktown's max velocity of .73 light years per hour. That's almost 6400c (or over warp factor 18.5 by the OCU scale).

Man that would have made a lot more sense. If warp factor 8 was 0.8 light-years per hour, the Entperrise might have been able to cover all the space that it did on TV. At least it would it the range was kicked up from 18 light years (24 days, 16 hours at wf 18.56).

Actually, assuming a crusing speed of warp six, (216C) allows the Enterprise to get from system to system (avg 4 LY per system) only requires a few days, which is very consistant with how TOS handles it.

It's more TNG on that has incredibly high 'visit' speeds, where thousands of lightyears are covered in hours by runabouts...

By the way,
    to get back on topic, it wouldn't be hard to work up an idea of what the Sovereign's classes replacement would be like. Yeah, it probably won't be called the Enterprise-class, but it would give us an idea on the next "Heavy Explorer".

But, it would be a lot easier to do this in a general Star Trek thread, or in basic ICON or CODA as opposed to SPACEDOCK. One of SPACEDOCK's distiniushing traits is it's ability to descibe ships in higher detail that the other systems. Unfortunately, that trait becomes a hindereance when we start working "outsie the envelope". Sort of like trying to design a TNG ship with only the TOS ship design rules. You an come up with something reasonable, but it takes a lot more work.

In contrast, working up a CODA version would be less detailed, but a lot easier. You can just about fake it by looking at the differences between the Galaxy and Sovereign-classes. Then do some tweaking (mix n' match) to reflect things that we have seen hinted at in the last few years of Trek, includuing long range transporters, multivector ship designs, borg transwarp drives and a new warp scale (wf13). The toss in a few suprises to reflect things we didn't knw about.

Yeah, it speculation, but it's a reasonable extraplation that would be good enough for a "Star Trek:2400" campaign

I'll not repeat the systems already mentioned. Here are some specualtions on the systems that would be included:

1) Holo-emitters throughout the vessel to allow virtual access to the computer system using holographic consoles that activate upon request. This also allows virtually any area to be used as a temporary bridge, assuming that the holo-emitters aren't knocked out.

2) The EMH system has been modified and expanded upon to provide other critical services upon the vessel. This would include an EEHT (Emergency Engineering Hologram Team) to deal with core breaches and highly hazardous problems such as hull breaches, ruptured conduits, etc.

3) The advancement in computer technology and positronic intelligence studies has led to the development of a computer AI adviser that can appear as a hologram to sit on the bridge and contribute at officers briefings.

That's it for now. If I think of anything else I'll post it here.

How about a remote-holo system ?

For instance, when repairs are needed in a hazardous environment, the engineers could gather in a holodeck and make the necessary repairs on a holographic representation of the damaged area, while holograms of themselves are reproducing their action in the real area. Should the repair team be unavailable, then the holograms would perform the repairs themselves, with a persona based on the engineers they represent.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Bio-Gel packs and nanites are now a standard feature on all new starship classes leading to the introduction of new training/skill requirements for 'bio-engineers' to 'care for' the bio-gel systems.

The nanites could be an integral feature of sickbay, engineering i.e. repairs, first/second aid kits, etc.

Could this new class be the first to feature a new experimental 'living hull' that heals itself and adapts itself to its surroundings?

I wonder if maybe we are going a little to far with this concept. I mean we were only going forward to the Sovereign-class' replacementa few years. Some of the concepts mentioned are very advanced. Maybe some of these might exisit in in a more limited form, but some concepts seem t me to be a bit further off (like the tech shift from TOS to TNG).

Ironically, he was supposed to be a well-known leader of the Star Fleet Marines... which meant he should have had naval ranks. The only real explanation is that there are ground and defense forces used in the Federation, similar to the US Army and Air Force - hence Col West.
    Actually, no. The Marine Corps uses Army-style ranks for its troops and officers; thus you have Marine colonels. A colonel is the equivalent of a naval captain, and both wear the same insignia (mostly; the Navy has a lot of insignia for different purposes).

This has probably already been addressed, but as a veteran I couldn't let it pass. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by C5
    How about a remote-holo system ?

For instance, when repairs are needed in a hazardous environment, the engineers could gather in a holodeck and make the necessary repairs on a holographic representation of the damaged area, while holograms of themselves are reproducing their action in the real area. Should the repair team be unavailable, then the holograms would perform the repairs themselves, with a persona based on the engineers they represent.
    Wow! This one makes my head spin. Really neat, although I think it might be a be a case of too much too soon.

BTW, If Starfleet did develop a remote repair system, couln't it just beam out broken modules or componets and replace them with new ones instead of making holo-engineers? I mean it appears to me that if they have the capability to do the remote linking, fine motor control, and automated repairs, it wouldn't need any crew interaction into the process and could do it all at 5 or 10 times normal speed.

I like the holo-engineers though. They seem much closer to what Starfleet can do now, and could be out on a ship already. Sort of an EEH (Emergency Engineering Hologram).

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback
    Could this new class be the first to feature a new experimental 'living hull' that heals itself and adapts itself to its surroundings?
    Adapt to what surrounding? It is in space. Shields protect it. I do lkie the "self-healing" part. I could use the ship's hull being laced with nanites that automatically regenerate the hull in a fashion similar to (bot not as advaced as) the Borg.

BTW, We should really move this topic out of SPACEDOCK and into a more generic Star Trek thread. It has less to do with SPACEDOCK per say (until someonde decides to write a SPACEDOCK: 2425 UPDATE) than with speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Actually, no. The Marine Corps uses Army-style ranks for its troops and officers; thus you have Marine colonels. A colonel is the equivalent of a naval captain, and both wear the same insignia (mostly; the Navy has a lot of insignia for different purposes).

This has probably already been addressed, but as a veteran I couldn't let it pass. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.
    But Col West's rank of doesn't really show if he is a marine, army soldier, Military Operations Command (MACO), or a southern gentleman (with or without a Fried Chicken franchise). Yeah, there were various ideas over what he was supposed to be. He must be someoneone high up though, if he has direct access to the President. That is unless he is someone's derranged realtive who put on a starfleet uniform, calls himself "Col. West" and get to barge in on the President with his outrageous fantassis (Arsenic and Old Lace).

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Hmm... well.. with that as a given, it's pretty clear that Colonel West was one of the 'legendary' Star Fleet Marines, then.