Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enterprise Class

Enterprise Class

Ignoring the confusion/foul up of the script writers in the first few Star Trek movies that classified the Enterprise refit as an actual Enterprise Class vessel has anyone designed and/or conjectured the stats for a class bearing the name of these historically 'great' ships?

Yup, Steve Long included 3 writeups (Pilot, TOS Series, and Movie-era) for the Constitution-class in the SPACEDOCK ship recognition manual volume 4--Starships of the Original Series era.

If you don't have SRMV4 you can find it (and the other volumes) at Owen excellent website:

Owen's site is worth a look even if you have SRM4.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    Yup, Steve Long included 3 writeups (Pilot, TOS Series, and Movie-era) for the Constitution-class in the SPACEDOCK ship recognition manual volume 4--Starships of the Original Series era.

If you don't have SRMV4 you can find it (and the other volumes) at Owen excellent website:

Owen's site is worth a look even if you have SRM4.
    Ah, no. Not writeups for the Enterprise vessels but a conjecture on what an Enterprise Class vessel would be. What type of vessel it would be, it's role, crew numbers, etc.

That would, technically, be the NX-01, depending on what continuity you're looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    That would, technically, be the NX-01, depending on what continuity you're looking at.
    I thought that 'technically' all those first starships were various NX Class vessels?

I know there's been the USS Enterprise XCV 330 depicted in the Motion Picture too.

Let's assume that we're looking forward into the not too distant future of Starfleet to save confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback
    I thought that 'technically' all those first starships were various NX Class vessels?

I know there's been the USS Enterprise XCV 330 depicted in the Motion Picture too.

Let's assume that we're looking forward into the not too distant future of Starfleet to save confusion.
    Now I'm confused, the not too distanct future according to when? The not too distant future according to TOS, TMP, Enterprise-era, ST: Nemesis or what?

From Voyager/Nemesis i.e. what would be considered the current Stardate. Essentially where the history of the Enterprise vessels has been recognised by Starfleet Command assigning the name Enterprise to a class of vessel. Hopefully that will be clearer.

'Class' names don't tend to be that official or even binding. Technically, the NCC-1701 was a CA, for instance, but 'Constitution Class' refers to that specific type of cruiser, etc. For the Federation Starfleet, the NX series would be 'Enterprise Class', with 'NX' as its binding class (Experimental).

Often referred to as the 'Declaration' class, though this one's probably best to ignore. That Enterprise was actually promo art for one of GR's failed TV series called 'Starship'.

Which era? 2290s? 2390s?

Okay from the Ds9/Voyager/ST Nemisis era then. In that ase no, there isn't a Enterprise-class. And with good reason. It would cause a lot of confusion since they have a Sovereign-class ship named Enterprise. It wuld get awfully confusing and lead to statements like :"No-not THAT Enterprise, the other one. You know, the one that's an Enterprise-class."

I suppose one of these Days Starfllet will manage to launch a ship named Enterprise as the lead ship of a class and have the class name stick, but so far it has a habit of being the second ship out of dock.

'Class' names don't tend to be that official or even binding. Technically, the NCC-1701 was a CA, for instance, but 'Constitution Class' refers to that specific type of cruiser, etc. For the Federation Starfleet, the NX series would be 'Enterprise Class', with 'NX' as its binding class (Experimental).
    I don't believe that the NCC-1701 was ever technically referred to as a CA by any onscreen source. Orignally it was supposed to be a STARSHIP, with the word reffering to Starfleet's top of the line series of ship. Later it got changed to Constellation and/or Constitution class. I know in ST III the Klingons refer to it as a Battlecrusier (BC), although I don't know if that is what Starfleet designated it. Personally, I think the BC designation makes more sense that the CA, since Starfleet didn't have anything more powerful at the time (at least that was how it was supposed to be). After the Excelsior came out, things could have changed.

Also, technically the NX series aren't part of the Federation Starfleet. We don't know if the NX class was incorpatated into Starfleet, in fact based on what we see in the final episoe of Enterprise it appear that Starfleet starts off with something better (probably the Daedalus-class.

THE NX series wasn't reffered to as Enterprise-class, possibly becuase the NX ships were experimental and never got NCC designations. At least, I guess that's the reason.

"Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser", official class of the Enterprise, as of season three. Of course, it was also referred to as this in the writer's bible (Heavy Cruiser, Constitution wasn't in the bible). The original pitch for the should had 'cruiser' as well, specifically modelled after a US navy ship of the line. It's pretty dang definitive as a CA.

The dates given for the NX would require her to be part of UESPA Star Fleet, actually, with that pesky Romulan War and all...

The main problem with the name, though, is that once a ship name becomes a ship class name, that name is generally then retired and not to be reused. So, as an 'Enterprise class ship' for the NX-01, we wouldn't see the NCC-1701 in the same fleet, much less later ships in other classes.

"Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser", official class of the Enterprise, as of season three. Of course, it was also referred to as this in the writer's bible (Heavy Cruiser, Constitution wasn't in the bible). The original pitch for the should had 'cruiser' as well, specifically modelled after a US navy ship of the line. It's pretty dang definitive as a CA.
    Not quite definitive. TOS didn't really lock that much down. Early on, the Enterpise was considered Starship-class, and that is also listed on the bridge plaque. Then, there is an episode where it is referred to as Constellation-class not Constitution class. Fandom has generally stated that it is a CA, but the BC classication is probably more accurate (a crusier with battleship guns). Or it could be a Pocket Battleship (the differences between a PB and BC are really non-existant-then again there isn't much difference between a BC and a CA).

Do you know how and what episode the Enteprise is specifically called a heavy crusier? I'm not saying that it isn't-just that I don't think that it was locked down on screen.

The dates given for the NX would require her to be part of UESPA Star Fleet, actually, with that pesky Romulan War and all...

The main problem with the name, though, is that once a ship name becomes a ship class name, that name is generally then retired and not to be reused. So, as an 'Enterprise class ship' for the NX-01, we wouldn't see the NCC-1701 in the same fleet, much less later ships in other classes.
    Yeah, I agree that the NX class would have to be part of UESPA Star Fleet, but that doesn't mean it was part of the Federation Starfleet. In the last epsiode of Enterprise the ship Enterprise is going to be decomissioned. This is right before the formation of the Federation, so the NX class didn't seem to make it into the Federation Starfleet.

Now why they are decomissioning the class is a good question. The most likely reason would be that the NX class were made obsolete somehow, possible due to more advanced technology gained from the other founding members of the UFP that was somehow incompatable with the NX's spaceframe. Since they were mentioning a newer, faster warp engine (Warp 7 I believe) it might mean that the NX class couldn't handle the new engines.

Since the NX series was in Earth Starfleet (and not Federation Starfleet) the name was probably considered okay. I would guess that each of the founding members of the UFP probably got to name some ships, and each probably reused famous ships of the past. Again, the last episode on Enteperise suggests this.

We seem to be drifting off the topic somewhat here. What I asked was (roughly) whether anyone i.e. anyone on these boards, had designed a conjectural class of Federation starship of an Enterprise Class which would post date the TV series and movies. This was supposed to be a "fun" topic - but it's not feeling like fun anymore!

We seem to be drifting off the topic somewhat here. What I asked was (roughly) whether anyone i.e. anyone on these boards, had designed a conjectural class of Federation starship of an Enterprise Class which would post date the TV series and movies. This was supposed to be a "fun" topic - but it's not feeling like fun anymore!

Sorry, didn't mean to take the fun out of things. I was just doubtful aout some of the info given on the Conniesand NXes.

Back to the topic--I don't think anyone has written up an Enterprise-class. Probably since every timeline in Trek has a ship named Enterprise in service.

Then again, we got the Yeager situation.

Back to the topic--I don't think anyone has written up an Enterprise-class. Probably since every timeline in Trek has a ship named Enterprise in service.
    That's why I started this topic. An Enterprise Class (obviously first one named Enterprise) that reflects the changing role of Starfleet in a post Dominion War/Nemesis setting.

Then again, we got the Yeager situation.
    Okay, clue me in.

You probalby won't see a write up for an Enterprise-class in the post Dominin War era because we have the Enterprise-E out there. Typicallly, the class takes it's name from the first ship of that type launched.

As for the Yeager is is one of the mysteries (probably just a continuity error) of Trek. The ship was given it own class (one of the Frankenstein kit-bashes that appeared during the Dominin War. I believe the model is a mating of the Peregine and Intrepid classes. Google it iff you want to see it).

But, there is also a Saber-class U.S.S. Yeager that in mentioned on DS9, and I think the Saber class version appears AFTER the Yeager-class. So we a left wondering if Starfleet had two ships with the same name in service at the same time, or if they reused the name of a class ship for a different type (sort of weird, and confusing, since you end up with the Yeager not being a Yeager- class ship, but no Yeager class ships are named Yeager). Wht makes it even more confusing is that the Saber-class U.S.S.Yeager has a lower regitry than the Yeager-class version.

So did Starfleet build a Saber-class U.S.S.Yeager, then reused the name for a new class? If so, did they mothball a brand new Saber-class ship or reneame it? What happened to the new Yeager-class U.S.S. Yeager? Was the older Saber-class vessel re-renamed, or brought out of mothballs?

Did the last two paragraphs make any sense?