Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Enterprise Class

I'd be in favour of a 'saucer' section that can operate individually of the main vessel. Improvements over the Galaxy version I'd envision would be a limited 'warp-burst' capability to a range of say five light years. The saucer section would feature a small combined warp engine & 'fuel' reserve designed to allow the crew to 'escape' the vicinity of the main vessel body. This would be a single 'jump' as the system would rely on a warp core to function for extended durations.

Also due to the 'loss' of the Galaxy saucer section I'd see Starfleet requiring some form of controlled landing system to allow for the eventual recovery of these valuable resources.

I think the TV show . . . and the gaming system shows that the seperation of the saucer from the stardrive is a last minute option at best, and a tactical distraction at worst. For, being sublight . . . if a threat remains . . . then the saucer will be more vaunerable then the who due to the limited speed . . . and the lack of power resources to reenforce defensive systems. As a tactical tool, it has the same vaunerability problems coupled with the lack of sufficient power, to maximize the weapon systems and defensive systems.

However, an emergency seperation system, on a size 9 vessel, compared to the size of the vessel cost very little . . . and would not hinder its ability to pack other systems.

----

This is another reason why I support, and have designed, remote offensive systems . . . to enhance the defensive abilities of the main vessel. As seen here.

For the enemy will have to divert their reasources to track multiple smaller targets which allow the ship to either engage more effectively, or the time to safely depart the area.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    I think the TV show . . . and the gaming system shows that the seperation of the saucer from the stardrive is a last minute option at best, and a tactical distraction at worst.
    Until the Promethues.

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    This is another reason why I support, and have designed, remote offensive systems . . . to enhance the defensive abilities of the main vessel. As seen here.
    For the enemy will have to divert their reasources to track multiple smaller targets which allow the ship to either engage more effectively, or the time to safely depart the area.
    Maybe. It depends on how it is written up. If the sub sections don't have warp drive, the foe can just blast the stardrive section and leave the other sections to rot (or even drag one alng with a tractor beam and trash the sections one at a time).

Personally, I think the Promethues design is a little much, and is very hard to wrok up well in game terms (without running into the same problems with fighters).

A warp capable battle section and warp capable suacer section is a pretty good idea though. And easy to do in CODA.

However, in Spacedock . . . you would be essentially buying to warp systems. Although possible . . . it would not be cost effective.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Since we are looking at creating this vessel, with civilians, are we not to think about crewing needs?

Besides the basics what additional sections would be required?
    Pediatric Medicine
    Education & Adolescent Development
    Family Welfare

How will this impact ship construction?
    Higher Rec Rating
    Additional Emergency Transporters & Life Pods
    Additional Labs
    Additional Medical facilities
    Larger cargo holds

I know that a few people have different opinions on whether Starfleet would use the name Enterprise as a Class definition. I was thinking of possible alternate names for this new class and came up with Consolidation. I don't think it's been used before - or has it?