Thread: Trek XI News

Trek XI News

I heard on the news radio this AM that reports Trek XI has signed Matt Damon to lpay the role of the young Captain James T. Kirk.

Can't seem to find any verification on the web.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

You know I might not be disagreeable to that idea as long as ben does't follow as Spock
    Draftsmen in Training

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialOne
    I heard on the news radio this AM that reports Trek XI has signed Matt Damon to lpay the role of the young Captain James T. Kirk.

Can't seem to find any verification on the web.
    Not very "young". Matt Damon is about the same age as Shatner was when he got the part for TOS. This would seem to contradict the "young Kirk" rumours.

I have doubts about the rumour though. DO you think they could get Damon to sign a muti-film deal? If not, Paramount will be right back where they are now in a few years.

There is something similar posted on a german cinema news webiste: http://www.kino.de/newsvoll.php4?nr=208124
    Be warned, the article is posted in German. I'll try to translate it later today or tomorrow after work. (Or probably Ergi or Evan will do it beforfe me)
    Nothing very new is revealed though apart from the statement that Damon is said to be a huge Trekkie and a former M:I III actor ( Philip Seymour Hoffman) would star in the next Trek movie as well...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    Nothing very new is revealed though apart from the statement that Damon is said to be a huge Trekkie...
    So's Luke Perry, who once appeared in a talk show (Arsenio Hall) with a gold Starfleet "pajama."

And Christian Slater, the junior communications officer aboard Sulu's Excelsior (was responsible for waking up the Captain).

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    and a former M:I III actor (Philip Seymour Hoffman) would star in the next Trek movie as well...
    As Harry Mudd? If only Matt Damon has Philip's girth (or Shatner's, for that matter).

Ben should be a redshirt. (Feel sorry for him, being outshined by his best bud Matt.)

P.S. Still not onboard the whole reboot theme, be it Abrams' or JMS/Zabel's.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Afleck might make a good McCoy. It could help with the Kirk-McCoy friendship.

Not that he would be my first choice. Then again, I'd rather NOT see a re-vision of TOS or the TOS characters. Chances are it is just going to aggrievate people (even more so that Star Trek: Enterprise did).

It as if Paramount is looking for the thing most likey to tick off the fans.

Ben wouldn't work too well for McCoy because McCoy was the senior member of the Tiad. He was apart of the balance of that group (Kirk Yourn, Spock middle ages and McCoy the elder.
    Draftsmen in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Eric R.
    Ben wouldn't work too well for McCoy because McCoy was the senior member of the Tiad. He was apart of the balance of that group (Kirk Yourn, Spock middle ages and McCoy the elder.

Not that much of a difference in age. MCCoy was 3 years older than Spock, who was 3 years older than Kirk. Not that I'd mind getting someone else.

It is going to be pretty difficult to recast these roles to the satistfaction of the fans.

But yet the sad issue is that the rump of the fan based left is NOT what there trying for they want 1.) Older fans who have been drifting away from Trek close to 20 some years now. 2.) the fair weather fan the type who makes an effort to see a Trek probley watched one or two of the newr versions but does not keep up on all the innner workings of warp technology and 3.) the totally new and thereby uninitiated potentional fan who knows what Trek is but has never been a deep fan.
    Draftsmen in Training

I wonder if they want to rebuild the fan base for a franchise or just make some bucks off of one film?

If they want to do more that just a standalone film, they will need to contract actors for multiple films or a follow up TV series. Somehow I don't see Damon tying himself down to the role that long.

got that . . . but my bet at thos point is trying to rebuild the fan base cause if they can do that there is a lot more money to be made. as to matt not tying himself down i don't know about that actors can surprise you but my money would be on particiaption in a series of films rather then a TV show.
    Draftsmen in Training