Thread: Wow I got a chance to run trek

Smile Wow I got a chance to run trek

Hello all , this weekend I got a chance to run a star trek game . We went with Icon system becasue that is what most people had sitting on the bookcase collecting dust .

The game is 2264 about small scout ship partolling along the fed/klingon border . The 1st game was chasing down raider ship that just hit a frieghter . I will post most details once the adventure is completed. We manage to get about 3/4 of it done after make up the crew.

I hope you all had (and continue to have) a lot of fun playing Trek

Let us know how things went and keep us briefed about your adventures if you'd like.

I will post a write up after each adventure is completed . Writing is not my strong point but i will do my best.

So often I feel like an RPG collector - I hardly seem to run what I collect! I'm fortunate in that I have managed to run both Coda and Icon a good few times now (still I am a rubbish GM ) but at least I got to use them

I'm looking forward to your writeups. I love hearing what other people did, a it gives me ideas to work from: The style of the show is not always easilly translated to the game, so working solutions are great!
    Ta Muchly

Star date 2264.0625
    The USS Drake enters docking obit of the star fleet base Archer to take on new crew members. The captain Elizabeth Warner has command the Drake for 6 years. Her command has been marked by several first contacts and fair number of combat encounters. Higher command has formed an option the her command style is overly aggressive and being on the fed/Klingon bonder is the best posting for now.

The Drake is small Larson class scout ship with a single warp nacelle. The ship has traveled many light years preforming well. The missions during the first four years of it planned operation life forced a one year earlier upgrade. The ship refit was conduct Tellrite ship yard . The lead engineer take a liking to Captain Warner and arranged for the very latest warp and impulse engines to be installed. Star fleet command was not happy about non approved systems being installed but there is not that can be done now.

The replaced crew is waiting on the star base Archer . Most of command staff has been re-assigned to any postings in the sector. Captain Warner was both sad about loosing her trusted officers , but looking forward to meet their replacements. Lt. Commander Foster suggested a low key welcoming party for everyone could get to know each other. Folks exchanging stories , rumors and so on . The loudest debate was between the helmsman and the chief engineer over the ship reaction time. This was debate that those two fought over for three years.

The departure time was 18:00 the next day , the crew begin reading the ship around 14:00 . The new helm an Lt. Shevas V'eral(andorian pc) and chief engineer Lt. Fazin Korso (tiburonian engineer pc) spend three hour testing the helm control to find nothing wrong with the system. The computer core was a total mess and needed a total data base rebuild. Lt Taran ( vulcan science officer pc) would need three day of overhaul to move the system up to acceptable level. The department was received the most replacements were security a new chief Lt. Ramtar ( axanari pc ) and two junior grade lieutenants D'vas ( vulcan pc) and Canoli ( human pc) . Security Department was divided in two teams of five. Lt. Ramtar was unhappy with the Captain rules about phaser rifles were issued by her orders only & crewman are issued phaser ones.

The first four days of the border patrol went by quietly until the distress call from the FML vessel Stellar Traveler reach the Drake's sub space radio. The Red alert sounded thought all decks . The crew raced to their station . Lt. Taran focus the scanners on the location of the Stellar Traveler and confirmed weapon fire. The chief engineer called up to the bridge to inform the extra power with able for warp drive. The next 30 minutes the ship speeded up to warp 7.8 with slight shaking felt though all decks . Korso returned the warp field , allowing warp 8 to reached. Captain Warner was impressed by this Tiburonian. Lt Ramtar called for permit to issued phaser rifles , he got approval .

The Drake slow to impulse for closer scan . The merchant ship floated in space with sections of the hull glowing a fire. The first officer appeal on screen asking for any aid . The Captain order security team to beam over to make sure things were safe for the repair team. Jr. Lt. Canoli lead the team . A quick sweep confirmed all clear . Doctor Kaei ( human pc) treated the injured and find unknown blood in half empty cargo bay. ( GM note the blood was from a Nausicaan) . Taran watched on the long sensors as the raider ship raced away. Captain Warner tapped her fingers on the arm rest wanting to chased that vessel down but would never leave a ship helpless in space. The Stellar traveler captain called over after 20 minutes thanking Star fleet for their help. The transporter beam all down aboard and the warp engines screamed back to life. Dr Kulei was working to keep the most injured alive. The other medical staff cared and aided Kulei. The blood sample was stored for now

The time passed slowly as Drake closed in. The Vulcan Taran claimly rattle off the protected flight path to end in a un explored system, two small class "M" planets and two class "J". The Drake enter the system at warp 8 to over take the raider but struck asteroid shaking the ship with shield damage. ( GM note a very bad roll by the helmsman). The warning light lighted up the engineer's station was Korso raced to beef the shield back up . Captain Warner took deep breath to look over at the new science officer Taran reporting three warp ships in the system. One was the raider , one closing and the third is orbiting the outer most J class planet. The closing ship matched the raider vessel design and third ship could not be ID.

Drake's phaser and photon torps fire upon the known raider because it was the closest. The phaser missed their mark but the torps hit causing raider to lost shielding. The second raider blasted a number of times at the Drake . The disruptor bolts pounded hard the shield grid. The security teams stood ready on the transporter pads for brocading act. Korso counted down with transporter chief to time the shield drop . Canoli team beamed over first . Everyone on the bridge prayed for the shield to come back up before another volley of weapon fire could be aim at them.

Canoli felt the higher gravity , foul air flowed into his lungs and bright light hurt his eyes. The team fanned out along the hall way . The sound of the door at the far end , two hunking figures darted out and three more flowed afterwards. The aliens' faces looked like a true nightmare . The Halberd style pole arms looked simple bladed weapons . Narucaans aimed at the brocading party but were to slow. The Star fleet personal fired phasers on high stunned , but not one alien dropped . The halberd released disruptor bolts back at them. Three security officers fall to the deck.

The star ships dance in the blackness of space . The Drake was the target of two weapon locks . The helmsman attempted to angle out of the line of fire. The ship rocked as disruptor bolts found the mark . The drake's weapon missed . The second team beamed over to aid the first team. Luck with on the they side , three narucaans hit the deck . The two standing narucaans move into hand to hand . D'vas phaser rifle was knocked out her hands. The door permitted four narucaans to join in the fight.

Captain Warner ordered a focus fire on the second raider ship . Lt Wu ( human pc) targeted all weapons as ordered . Lt D'var boosted the sensor gain to aid Wu . The phaser banks shot two green beams into the second raider follow by full spread of photons. Three of the photons impacted on the hull . Part of the raider hull disappeared into space. Taran managed to get some shields back up . The protection lasted only few seconds before more hits . One bolt struck along side the bottom of the ship.

The Star fleet scout was passed by the raiders , the captain ordered for the science officer to jam their targeting sensor. The warring ships turned hard to bring the weapon arrays in to arc. The helm commanded the ship to swing side to side in order make finding their mark harder. Lt Wu switched to manual lock as the scanners were jamming . The cross hairs drifted over the image of the raider ship then flashed red showing lock on. The Drake sent forth volley of phasers and photons sending the raider hull in to several different direction at once. The glowing sections flown pass and over the Drake. The other raider shot wildly never striking the Drake. Then the Drake dove hard to port swinging behind the last ship. The phaser banks aimed at the impulse engines .

Ramtar men managed to count down the narucaan crewmen by sheer volume of phaser fire . He lead some of the men to the bridge , and the others fanned out to locate the kidnapped people from the Stellar Traveler. The floor under their feet felt rumbling . The bright lights dimmed to normal level and the gravity lighten up. The raider's bridge was fulled with smoke and fire , allowing the security team to get the drop on the command staff. Ramtar looked over what he thought was the engine control to power down the impulse drive. Ensign Patterson tapped few buttons to bring the raider craft to a full stop.

The Drake use a tractor beam to keep the raider ship in place. The transporters brought home some , saved other from the cargo holds and imprisoned the narucaans with in the brig. Captain Warner asked for a scan of the third ship. Each of the bridge crew had few ideas about it. Some figured it was other raider with the brain power to stay out of the fight , but Lt Taran reported it was small Klingon vessel running at low power , no life signs . Elizabeth did not want to close Klingon's until the shields were back up. She did not doubt the new science officer, but first experience shown the Klingon to be very clever.

We stopped at this point . The group is made up of seven , which makes it a large group for me to run. I like 3 to 5 people to allow more in depth role playing. We talked the fact the Captain never call for the Raiders to surrennder. Her statement was " We have been chasing them for 2 hours , before that they attacked merchant ship. They know we are mad and could have stopped anytime to talk". The ship to ship combat I keep it basic , filling details to add favor , keeping the PC on edge as most as possible.

The Drake is based off the T'pari class surveyor page 144 of core rule book from Last Unicorn Games. The Narucaan ships were the Orion pirate ship on page 150.

Stats for Drake NCC 964
    Class - larson scout ship
    Size - 4
    Resistance - 4
    Hull points - 80
    Operation Details
    crew- 100 / 200 / 400 power 5
    computer - 4 power 4
    transporter = 2 personnel 2 emerecry 1 cargo
    Warp = 5 / 6/ 7.5
    Impulse = .5 / .85
    shields - 30 /40
    long range - + 1 / 15 light years
    lateral - +1 / 1 light year
    nav. - +1
    power out = 90

Weapon systems
    Phaser 4
    range = 10 / 30 k / 100 k / 300 k
    arc = 200 degree front
    accurry - 4 / 5 / 7 /10
    damage = 8
    power = 8

Photon torp launcher ( 30 torps )
    launcher - front
    spread - 3
    range - 15 / 300 k / 1 m. / 3 m
    accurcy - 4 / 5 / 7 / 10
    damage - 18
    power - 5

Other system
    Probe launcher ( 10 probes )
    spread - 1
    power - 5
    speed - .3 c

A probe is a small scanner array carried by most star fleet ships. The probe can
    be set up for different task. The tiny impulse drive has 2 days of fuel and battery power for months of data collection. A sub space radio broadcast data back to the ship.