Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "ENTERPRISE" ep.1 script online!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Actually, in the episode in question, Spock makes mention of the "reknowned Tholian punctuality", indicating that the Federation knew about Tholians and had had at least SOME dealings with them...
    </font>
    I stand corrected. Hmmmm, this means that we could see some Tholians in Enterprise. Coooooooooooooool.

I concur, wasn't the Enterprise, Kirk's, the first to have a "face-to-face" confrontation with the Tholians?

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

I believe DUCK1 is right. From statements made during THE THOLIAN WEB, the Federation had some sort of encounters before the Kirk Enterprise did. It would be legitimate to have an encounter or even a "first encounter" with them in this series. The only thing is, the ENT. crew should be limited to learning almost nothing about them in such an encounter.

PS: I broke down and read the script. I really liked it. Funny, I know that to Dan it didn't feel like Trek to him, but to me it felt very much like Trek. Not TNG Trek but more like STAR TREK Trek. I liked that. Even though I may have sounded like a "Yea" sayer before, I was more of a "60% chance it will work" type. Now I'm a "85% chance it will work" guy. Guess that makes me a Yea sayer now. (As long as the 15% chance of garbage doesn't popup)

I did notice it had a lack of Trek feeling. However, I wasn't sure if it was lacking TOSTrek or TNGTrek feel.

In some ways I'm glad - after all, while the spirit is the same, the Original Series felt much differnet than TNG. Even within each era, each series felt different.

I hope that while Enterprise tries to keep the Trek spirit alive, it attempts to hammer its own niche - after all this is a different era with different rules - I don't want some TOS or TNG clone, although I wouldn't mind to see a hint of it here and there.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by prophetsteve:
    I have the impression that Phase Pistols and Rifles use some sort of Phased Plasma beam, much the same as the weapons on Babylon 5.</font>
    There's no such thing as phased plasma and depending on which source you use, the B5 weapons were or weren't phased plasma weapons.

Every source that I have read about the personal weapons used by EarthForce states that the term PPG stands for Phased Plasma Gun. I realize there is no such thing, but the term is on record.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Hmmm...I've always been under the impression that PPG stood for "Pulsed Plasma Gun. Oh well...never mind.

I happened to love that script for "Broken Bow" - I just hope it's fair dinkum and not some hoax.

As far as the "Trek" feel to it...I'm wondering exaclty what that is - let me expand on what I perceive the "Trek feel" to be.

I know TOS had a certain "feel" to it, as did TNG (at least while Gene was alive). The later half of the TNG series seemed a little darker to me, with things like Picard's torture, the Maquis, etc, that cast something of a shadow.

Then DS9, as far as I'm concerned, completely blew the "Trek feel" right out of the water. The Federation was no longer perfect, its leaders no longer infallible. We had heroes doing stuff like covering up murder and committing grand fraud in order to bring the Romulans into the Dominion War, Section 31, an abortive coup within the Federation, Starfleet ships fighting each other...I'm sure Gene was turning in his grave.

The "Trek feel", it seems to me, is the sort of black-and-white, simplistic conflict of TOS and early TNG. The good guys are good, the bad guys are bad (but can sometimes become good).

I mustn't be a true Trekkie, I guess, 'cos I've never like that "feel". I will only watch half a dozen or so TOS episodes - most of TOS I find appallingly bad and frankly embarrassing. I hate the first 2 seasons of TNG (love the rest), and DS9 was wonderful all the way thru (except for the Ferengi, of course).

It seems to me that they tried to put back the "Trek feel" when they made VOY, which I see as about on a par with TOS (whoo boy, I'm gonna get flamed for that! ).

So, if the "Trek feel" has been left out, that's great as far as I'm concerned - 'cos it means it'll probably be more like later TNG or DS9, in which case, it'll rock!

*Pulling on asbestos underwear...*

------------------
    "Every atom in our bodies was forged in the furnace of ancient stars - it is our destiny to return home..."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Every source that I have read about the personal weapons used by EarthForce states that the term PPG stands for Phased Plasma Gun. I realize there is no such thing, but the term is on record.</font>
    I agree Phantom; every source I read called it that to. Bad science maybe but there it is.