Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impulse Driven System Defense ships (Icon, Coda, Spacedock)

The question is, is the Mars Perimeter an actual physical perimeter that is manned with stationary weapon systems and the like . . . or is it the location of varies sensor arrays with major defensive capabilities that gives the system an enhanced detection capability.

I remember LUG's Starfleet Academy Box, they had a very detailed description of the Sol system. I think the perimeter is quite a solid one they even provided a template of the System and presented a sphere of dotted lines where the Perimeter is. On the other hand I think there will be certainly sensor arrays at least as Far out as Pluto to get a clear View.
    I also think Starfleet Command will receive Data from other Systems and Starfleet vessels as well. So they get to be warned well before the enemy get to sector 001

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto
    I remember LUG's Starfleet Academy Box, they had a very detailed description of the Sol system. I think the perimeter is quite a solid one they even provided a template of the System and presented a sphere of dotted lines where the Perimeter is. On the other hand I think there will be certainly sensor arrays at least as Far out as Pluto to get a clear View.
    I also think Starfleet Command will receive Data from other Systems and Starfleet vessels as well. So they get to be warned well before the enemy get to sector 001
    Yeah, and that one was also a post-Borg invasion version. Basically, Starfleet has been steeadly upgrading the MDP due to the increase threat to the Sol system. Now it has some nasty defense platforms and is augmented with the Perimter Action Ships like the Saber and Akira, and Norway-classes.

THis all goes with the whole, "the universe isn't as friendly a place as we though a few years ago" philiosophy that envolved during the TNG/DS9/VOY era.

I think that the Federation was always well defended... It's just nothing they had was effective against the Borg. The plain old regular defense perimiter would likelly be more than effective against anyone else - the Borg downloaded Picards brain!
    Last edited by Tobian; 07-14-2006 at 12:58 PM.
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    I think that the Federation was always well defended... It's just nothing they had was effective against the Borg. The plain old regular defense perimiter would likelly be more than effective against anyone else - the Borg downloaded Picards brain!
    Yeah, that is true, but I suspect it wan't as well defended as it could have been, becuase Earth really hasn't been under risk of invasion for quite some time-probably not during the existiance of the Federation.

It is also indicative of a fundamental change in Star Trekin the post Rodenberry era. It used to be that there was some sort of common ground that could be used to opena dialogue with the new threat. THat wasn't possible with the Borg (at least until ST: First Contact), and it also wasn't possible with the Dominion and the Breen.

All in all it does make sense to up your defenses if they are beaten, especially as easily as by the Borg or Breen did during the Dominion War.

I have to wonder though . . . space junk . . . there has to be an entire fleet of ships that clean that up.

In Cowboy Bebop there is an entire area of derelic ships that have been converted to a non-territorial neutral area of sorts. The Sol System has hundreds, if not thousands of ships flying through. And all this must cause a signinficant amount of space debris.

Why have we not heard of a Sol System DOT of sorts . . . or FAA . . . or even a AAA organization.

And how does that traffic concide with the increased security needs of the primary systems of the Federation?

Are there chockpoints where ships are inspected? A kind of semi-customs ran by the system (since each are individual states).

Say you have a system of sensors at the edge of the system . . . and you have some sort of defensive perimeter . . . and a system defensive fleet. There are set, widely known, commercial flight patterns. And then you get a ship, that for some reason does not respond to hails, but is not flying the normal inboand route.

Now . . . you don't know the intention of the vessel . . . and it's going to fast for tractor beams . . . what do you do?

How does a system defensive network respond?

Can this cause a KAL Flight 007 scenario or USS Vincennes scenario if done near a hostile system?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    How does a system defensive network respond?

Well, most large colonies seem to have some sort of ground-based defensive system. Shields, at the very least.

and it's going to fast for tractor beams
    What, you can't match speed and tractor it then?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    It is also indicative of a fundamental change in Star Trekin the post Rodenberry era. It used to be that there was some sort of common ground that could be used to opena dialogue with the new threat. THat wasn't possible with the Borg (at least until ST: First Contact), and it also wasn't possible with the Dominion and the Breen.
    The Breen aren't fundamentally alien, they're just uncommunicative.

The Dominion didn't want to talk, because it thought it could plow through. In the end, though, it did talk. Remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    Well, most large colonies seem to have some sort of ground-based defensive system. Shields, at the very least.

What, you can't match speed and tractor it then?
    Well if they could do that . . . there scenario would be thrown out the window, now wouldn't it.

But it is possible given the edgy nature of the quadrant during the post DS9 period.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One