Thread: LUG Voyager (stop booing)

LUG Voyager (stop booing)

This is just one of those random things that crossed my mind at work last night (i have to keep alot of things on my mind to ward off boredom and to keep the time flying): Did LUG ever get the Voyager (stop booing me!!!) out? If not, did it get the same treatment as the Decipher Mirror Universe book? If it didn't, anyone know if it will?

Not that I'm a big fan of Voyager, but it's on the back page of one of my Trek books and I thought it might be nice to at least flip through it.

Nope, the Voyager game never came out. There were only 3 LUG Trek Core Books: TNG, DS9 and TOS.

Don our past web master had done a lot of work on the book, he was in charge of it, if i understand right, before LUG met the axe, it was gitting near finish as well.
    Draftsmen in Training

so im going to go out on a limb and guess that since it was a while back, and LUG product, that it won't see a Drive-Thru RPG revival.

Pity, despite the reputation of Voyager, there was some stuff on there that would have been fun to toss into a campaign. I mean I've got GM skills to 'do it myself', but it would have been nice to see 'how the pro's do it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    so im going to go out on a limb and guess that since it was a while back, and LUG product, that it won't see a Drive-Thru RPG revival.

You don't have to go very far out on that limb (like you can still hold onto the trunk of the Redwood tree ) to come to that conclusion.

On the plus side, IF Decipher does well with CODA online sales and the product line expands (Hey! Who moved my tree?!! ) , it is possible that much of the Voyager sourcebook could be reused for a CODA book-and that could be reverse engineered to LUG Trek fairly painlessly.

Just wondering, but most of what you need to run Voyager already exists in the TNG and DS9 books. Looking for anything in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    Just wondering, but most of what you need to run Voyager already exists in the TNG and DS9 books. Looking for anything in particular?
    The delta quadrant info, condensed and rejiggered and presented as game-able. Like, what's the political situation re: the constant presence of the Borg? Which of the governments and cultures seen in Voyager are the most politically significant? Are we talking a series of large empires pushed up against each other (like the alpha quadrant) or smaller, balkanized states–or, in the likely event of mix, who is what?

Also, information on all the stuff Voyager totally forgot about–what happens to people stuck in the same boat for years on end, repairing and resupplying starships without their normal infrastructure at hand, themes you can use the situation to evoke, possible series arcs/threads, stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    The delta quadrant info, condensed and rejiggered and presented as game-able. Like, what's the political situation re: the constant presence of the Borg? Which of the governments and cultures seen in Voyager are the most politically significant? Are we talking a series of large empires pushed up against each other (like the alpha quadrant) or smaller, balkanized states–or, in the likely event of mix, who is what?

Also, information on all the stuff Voyager totally forgot about–what happens to people stuck in the same boat for years on end, repairing and resupplying starships without their normal infrastructure at hand, themes you can use the situation to evoke, possible series arcs/threads, stuff like that.
    Cool. I don't know how much of that was in the VOY book, but the one good thing is that IF a VOY book is released for CODA (the chances of whuihc are a little higher than PAramount sending me an Orion Slave Girl) that is the sort of info that isn't system dependant.

IMO I doubt there was that much for the Political situation of the DQ, since VOYAGER travelled thougha lot of it, but in a haphhazard fashion. THey probably missed a lot of things. THere is the map in Star Charts-not that it helps much.

THe second part (the logistical and psychosocial apescts of being stranded thousands of light years from home would be interesting.).

Well, it's good to see that there is at least a few of us that would like to see some of the Delta Quadrent stuff in some form.

Like I said, a gm/narrator could create most of that stuff if they wanted too. After all, pretty much all the info of just about every race in the Aliens book, and much of the info in most of the books was extrapolated by the authors based on sometimes as little as a few lines in one episode.

As to the psycho/sociological effects of being stranded lightyears away from home, I always thought that the Voyager crew was WAY too well adjusted. I mean yeah, they are from the 'shiney happy people' of the FED, but they all just sorta came together (don't forget, some of the crew was made up of 'dangerous rebels') and decided to explore as they headed for home.

Oh, and crew wise, I would like to know more about more of the people like Chakotay, who got like 2 or 3 'spotlight episodes' as compared to Janeway, the EMH or 7 of 9, who DOMINATED the show. A 'Lower Decks' episode of VOY would have been great, IMHO, but I like that sorta thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky

As to the psycho/sociological effects of being stranded lightyears away from home, I always thought that the Voyager crew was WAY too well adjusted. I mean yeah, they are from the 'shiney happy people' of the FED,
    No excuse for shitty writing. Compare with, say, 'The Siege of AR-558.'

You can tell shitty Trek writing by how they deal with the utopian ideals of the Federation. Taking them to mean that everyone in it is programmed from youth to be perfect model citizens and cannot ever deviate 'cause they're robots is stupid. If you honestly think that about 24th century humans, then sure, writing Trek is hard. But DS9's writers tended to take the position that their choices did in fact matter, and it was because the individuals of the federation chose non-self-destruction, both on a large scale and a smaller, personal one. The choice still exists for them, and that's what they have to fight against. There's where the drama comes in, dammit.

Janeway, the EMH or 7 of 9, who DOMINATED the show. A 'Lower Decks' episode of VOY would have been great, IMHO, but I like that sorta thing.
    Actually, the EMH and 7 of 9 dominated the show by being more interesting–and thus plot-suggesting–characters. The writers found it easier to explore their characters than to take risks with the other ones, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    Actually, the EMH and 7 of 9 dominated the show by being more interesting–and thus plot-suggesting–characters. The writers found it easier to explore their characters than to take risks with the other ones, I guess.
    IMO, 7of9 came to dominate the show through 2 simple mechanics:
    1) the actress was a ratings draw, thus creating a desire in the producers to use her often.
    2) the character could sub-in for any other character: she was a good engineer, a good warrior, an outsider learning about humanity, unemotional, stoic, etc. She was the ultimate munchkin character, doing the same things everyone else does at least as well as they do, so you could replace any character with her at whim.
    Which compounded an existing problem: the writers have admitted that Tuvok and Chakotay were essentially the same character, thus effectively halving the number of stories each got focussed on them. Now 7of9 can sub-in as central character in any episode intended for Tuvok/Chakotay, it cuts in even more.

Back on topic, there is a fan-produced ICON Voyager sourcebook. IMO, it is pretty good for being what it is (the work of a non-professional writer working by himself), and truly excellent considering I believe the author is not a native speaker if English, but it not going to be what you are looking for (no rules on ship deterioration and such).
    IIRC, I found it from a link on these forums, in a vast archive of ICON PDFs.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Thanks spyone, for pointing me toward some Voyager material and for trying to steer us back on topic, although I found our little discussion of the in's and out's of Voyager's story interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by spyone
    IMO, 7of9 came to dominate the show through 2 simple mechanics:
    1) the actress was a ratings draw, thus creating a desire in the producers to use her often.
    2) the character could sub-in for any other character: she was a good engineer, a good warrior, an outsider learning about humanity, unemotional, stoic, etc. She was the ultimate munchkin character, doing the same things everyone else does at least as well as they do, so you could replace any character with her at whim.
    Hahaha. Oh man, you're totally right.

Which compounded an existing problem: the writers have admitted that Tuvok and Chakotay were essentially the same character, thus effectively halving the number of stories each got focussed on them. Now 7of9 can sub-in as central character in any episode intended for Tuvok/Chakotay, it cuts in even more.
    And the writers wussed out instead of trying to stick something interesting to them to make them important.

Anyway, this could make one wonder how they'd be played in a campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by spyone
    Back on topic, there is a fan-produced ICON Voyager sourcebook. IMO, it is pretty good for being what it is (the work of a non-professional writer working by himself), and truly excellent considering I believe the author is not a native speaker if English, but it not going to be what you are looking for (no rules on ship deterioration and such).
    IIRC, I found it from a link on these forums, in a vast archive of ICON PDFs.
    the author indeed is no native speaker and it was his first netbook, therefore it is a little pale and uninspiring compared to his later works. However there are at least some rules on Borg assimilation and there are new promotion rules to simulate the more isolated nature of a Delta-Quadrant campaign...
    It can be found at "Memory Icon" http://www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon/netbook/netbook.htm and at my own page www.farrealms.de
    And in case you still wonder, yep I am the author In fact my screenname here is based on a character I played during my "Voyager"-Campaign.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Hi, guys... I really hate doing this moderatorial stuff, but please take the discussions of the relative merits of Voyager as a TV show over to the General Star Trek Chat area, and focus on the RPG aspects here.

Thanks, all.