Thread: Anti Proton Weapon

Question Anti Proton Weapon

After I did a quick search it seems that no one has done the Husnock ship as seen in the TNG episode the survivors.
    If I recall correctly the Husnock vessel was recreated by the Douwd that wiped the Husnock out, to lure the Enterprise-D away.
    It fired pulses of Antiproton Beams to wreak havoc with the Enterprises-D’s shields and severely damaged the ship.
    I’m considering to use a Husnock Vessel in my series. The derelict vessel is found by a Orion Pirate in a remote system with its crew dead for unknown reasons (The Douwd said just he killed them all, so I assume they just died one the spot with no collateral damage.)
    The Orion Plans to refurbish it and plans to embark on some high space piracy adventures. Using the powerful ship to go after target normally left alone by pirates.

I figure the Weapon to be very similar to standard Phasers and Disruptors, albeit only pulse fire is possible. Thus I’d like to use the Pulsephaser Stats and just call it a Class I Antiproton Cannon.
    But I’m not sure about secondary effects this weapon could probably have.
    After consulting Wikipedia it seems to be a Pulse of Antimatter (Antiprotons) contained in a beam. So it is probably a mixture of a Photon Torpedo and a beam weapon.
    But how would you apply the Spacedock Rules here?

The Husnock ship is detailed in DITL http://www.ditl.org/index.php?daymai...php?mishusnock which gives basic information, but obviously he is not privy to any more information than we are, so it's all rather vague !

I vaguelly recall the Devore had antiproton weapons too - from Voyagers episdoe 'counterpoint' but I couldn't confirm that on DITL, so I may well be wrong ?

The Doomesday machine also had such a beam weapon, so we know how powerful and dangerous they are!

Not sure how you would rule it, but it could potentially be a nasty weapon, because as you say it is drawing from reserve antiprotons, so it doesn't have to relly on huge power (presumably other than for the containment system!)

Other than that, I like your concept a lot! While it appears that their entire civilisation was destroyed, it could be an old damaged ship, left in orbit round a planet after a major disaster - such as hitting an asteroid - and losing all ife support.. or someone killing them all with some sort of insidious weapon that ignores ships and shields and kills the occupants! It could create a number of layers of story... Who was powerful enough to challenge the Husnocks, what happens if the Orions get it working and replicate the technology! Could be very interesting!
    Ta Muchly

Further mudding the waters is that the vessel encounterd by the Enterprise-D was not the real thing. It was created by the Douwd Uxbridge in order to lure them away.
    The vessel could have had any weaponry and then again the the Douwd could have just decided to make it appear impregnable against phaser attacks and possesing stronger weapons just because he wanted to discourage Picard to further investigate the Colony.

As for who killed them the awnser is obvious: Uxbridge killed them with just a thought -they never even knew what hit them.

The Pirate story is only the prelude to an entire Campaign centering on the Husnock - and what they left behind

During my vacation I took the time to read through the spacedock Rules once more.
    I found Steves Opinion on that matter on page 134: It says here that at very short range (no more than 2 Km) the weapon can disable a targets shields. The whole concept could be related to Romulan disruptors as these leave a Anti proton residue (SD page 68)
    I think the Husnock Anti-Proton Weapon would be a early model not as capable as the one of the doomsday machine.
    To equal things out I figure the Hussnock only to be advanced in Weapon technology – and lagging behind on transporters and replicators (Making it easier to explain how the Orions get the ship going again.

If figure that early Anti proton Weapons will work more crudely with relatively few control over how much damage is really done.

Antiproton Weapon is only able to pulses of Anti proton Beams.
    It is bought like a normal Disruptor (starting at Type 5) and has the same ranges. It uses the same power consumption as a standard disruptor, but does at least double damage (at least 240 Points). To cover the unpredictability of this system I used the following formulae in play:
    Take half the minimum damage and roll Percentile dice. Add the numbers to the minimum damage. Additionally the weapon has the Power to disrupt Shields at short ranges, turning them off – and causing 1/3 of the Original Damage in the Process.
    Prerequisite for this effect is a successful difficult (10) Weapon Systems Test. To Knock the Shields out some Parameters have to be matched. On a dramatic success the Full damage of the pulse is applied as well. On the other hand a dramatic failure can strengthen the shield instead (as per SD page 133). Since this process is much cruder than the process described there only the damage done is added to the shield strength.
    What do you think?