Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Crossovers: You make the call!

Star Trek Crossovers: You make the call!

So, I was thinking the other day, (yes, you could smell the wood burning), what other Sci-Fi franchise (book, movie, TV, comic, rpg, whatever) would make for an interesting Crossover to Trek? And how would Trek characters deal with the new arrivals?

My first thought was Farscape; If the Moya crew somehow found their way to the Trek-verse, then they might be appaled to see that Crighton's race could *gasp* actually outstrip them in technology. Depending on what era they land in, the typical SF ship would most likely try and get them back to their reality. But a DArgo/klingon fight would be interesting (most people consider Luxans as Klingon knock offs anyway), and wouldn't Scorpious fit right in with either the Romulans or the Cardassians?

Any thoughts? (sorry, this board has been dead for 11 days, I hate to see it like that!)

Well I was always partial to a Highlander crossover. Went once as far as writing a few notes down for Icon. Basicially saw highlander like beings living through out the Trek verse (dated the first human versus alien fight sometime like 2068). Even had watcher style organizations on several worlds. Of course this would assume that the finall quickening did not occure on Earth (as occured in the movies) but is still to come.

Then of course there is the really wild one a BSG/Voyager corssover
    Draftsmen in Training

Gee, that one works surprisingly well. At least in TOS, Trek has had several "immortal" belings who visited earth, and at least one who was actually from Earth.

Granted, Flint did not precisely fit the Higlander model (from the series): he had tremendous artistic talent, and at least once he had been a King rather than the power behind the throne. IIRC, the series estabished that immortality robbed one of artistic genius, and that immortals habitually shun the limelight, preferring to rule indirectly when they rule.
    But, whatever.

I seem to recall a comedy piece (short fiction) where the TNG crew encounter the muppets.

Depending on how much sillyness one is willing to tolerate, this could work with virtually anything. Data meets the Autobots? Zentradi vs Klingon? Vorlons meet the Federation?
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

A little while prior to the New BSG being announced, I thought about introducing elements of BSG into Trek. The rag-tag, sub-light fleet escaping from a superior enemy (was a toss up between the Cylons and the Borg) encountering the PC's ship. It had the possibility of leading to diplomacy through to heavy combat. My plans changed when I heard about the BSG Re-imagined.

I have introduced bits from Farscape (True Peacekeepers, and Luxians), Andromeda (variant Niechiens, Palsidians, Than), Star Fleet Battles (Hydrians, Interstellar Concordium), Babylon 5 (Shadows light, Narn), Men in Black (Worms).

All in all, no Sci-Fi is safe from my plunder - names are normally changed to protect the guilty.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

BSG or Star wars would be a good crossover. A tougher one to write would be a Doctor Who crossover .

Quote Originally Posted by spyone
    Granted, Flint did not precisely fit the Higlander model (from the series): he had tremendous artistic talent, and at least once he had been a King rather than the power behind the throne. IIRC, the series estabished that immortality robbed one of artistic genius, and that immortals habitually shun the limelight, preferring to rule indirectly when they rule.
    But, whatever.
    Actually, I thought Flint fit rather well, for the most part. In a kind of "Trek-ified" way. Especially considering he described himself as (IIRC) "a bully who didn't have the good sense to die."
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by toadmage
    BSG or Star wars would be a good crossover. A tougher one to write would be a Doctor Who crossover .
    I had a few ideas on doing some Trek-Dr Who crossovers. THe hard bit is decided on which of the Doctors to use, and what Trek characters (assmuing a story, and not just an RPG scenario) to use. Depdning on the mix, a lot of things sort of write themselves.

For example, USe the TOS crew and the 2nd Doctor, there are some really good possiblities with interaction between Spock and Zoe (very similar, especially the early cold and logical version of Zoe), and with Scotty and Jamie ("a pur hof Scotsmun").

Example #2, going with the TNG crew, I could see Wolf being highly suspecious, much like a typical character type in Dr. Who. In many Doctor Who sotirees there is a character who blames the Doctor for ewverything and often inadventualy ends up helping the real threat out of mistrust of the Doctor. Worf wound probably make it into the upper 15% or so that manage to figure things out before the end and end up helping the Doctor.
    I could also see a very funny scene with Dr. Crusher in sickbay with any incarnation of the Doctor after the 7th. Sort of the "Ohh, no. I died once that way, I don't want go through that again!. Wait a minute, the hair is the same but the fact is different. You not supposed to be able to do that, I -Oh! I see, your not Grace. Come to think of it, judging by the artifical gravity, this isn't Earth. And hand-held, portable non-invase scanning devices weren't around in 1999-morese the pity-so that rules that out. Just where the hell are we?"

I could really see most version of the Doctor being quite plased with Capt. Picard's tendancy to solve problems diplomatically. Could be a nice spot to drop a few UNIT jokes.

Marvel Comics once did X-Men/TOS and X-Men/TNG cross-overs.

I think a Dr. Who/Star Trek crossover would be the most interesting. Maybe the Dr. helps the Enterprise crew defeat a Dalek invasion of the Alpha Quadrant. Or maybe Voyager gets caught in a temporal wormhole & sees the strange sight of police call box spinning in space.

I don't know if I would want to see a BSG crossover. Imagine this scenario: Adama says "We're looking for Earth." Picard responds "It's in that direction. We just came from there. There's a nice pub in London I can recommend." Adama says, "We'll we have these robot enemies called Cylons & there are 3 of their Basestars right on our tail. And all we have is one Battlestar to defend our ragtag fleet." Picard: "No need to worry. We'll dispatch them forthwith. After all, their missiles can't even penetrate our navigation shields. Oh, and we can fire photon torpedoes while moving at warp speed. Robots, you say? Well after the Borg, these Cylons look like so much toys."

How about Star Trek/Space 1999? Maybe Data can explain how everyone on moonbase Alpha is still alive & well while their moon is hurtling through space defying all known physical laws.

I used a couple of the Farscape aliens in our Trek campaign. Instead of a cross-over, I simply included a few with some changes to bring them in line with universe. I ported over the Delvians, Nebari (becoming the bad guys in the current campaign), the Vorcarians, and the fire-belching guys (name escapes me, right now...Shiyang?)

Moya cold be a cousin race to the Gomtuu thingee. (That's our take.)

I have the Trek/X-men crossover, I think both Trek series were there (TOS/NG); funny momment where the Shiar Guardian was speaking IN SPACE, and Spock can't explain how he's talking!

In regards to a BSG/Trek Crossover, I think that TOS would work good with the 70's show; Kirk's swashbucking nature would go well with Adama's wise and patient style. NG would be a little overkill, but some Trek fighter squadrons vs. Cylon Raiders might be nice.

In a different catagory, I alway's thought that The Mechanoids, from the Palladium Books games, would make a good Trek enemy.

The Mechanoids are a race of geneticly and cyberneticly engineered entities (think Dalek/transformer hybrids with Scanners thrown in for taste). They look like robots and/or vehicles (even their continent sized battleships are cyborgs), but under it all is a lump of organic matter with psychic powers. And they hate humanoids. All humanoids. So they use all of their abilities (they like to stripmine planets for raw materials and carve up suns to make their power crystals) in a genocidal war against all humanoids.

That would give the NG guys something to do; it's like different bits of several different enemies in one force! (btw, most of the Mechanoids stuff is from the mid 80's, so its not TOTALLY rip offs of other ideas )

I always though a god Star Wars Mix would be have a bunch of Jedi fleeing the empire get sucked into a time/diminsional warp and are found barely alive by a Starfleet vessel. The Jedi find that they are in a universe where "supernatural" powers are common and have to adjust to being part of the their new world holding on to their spiritual/cultural beliefs.

Conversly a Starfleet vessel fleing the Borg/Dominion or some other power is sucked into a Time/Diminionsal warp and emerge into the Star Wars galaxy. They are quickly found out and pursued by the Empire meeting up with a sceptical Rebel Alliance and having to find there way in a new galaxy at war.
    Draftsmen in Training

"I always though a god Star Wars Mix ..."

I 've mentioned before my crossover with the Star Wars universe, where the Miranda class USS St Roch went through a wormhole and wound up in a version where Emperor 0B-1 Kenobi (a clone of the original Jedi Knight, General Ben Kenobi) ruled the Empire from his twin Death Stars, backed up by his loyal spprentices, Lord and Lady Vader (actually the twin children of Rebel leader Anakin Skywalker, who were believed to have died at birth). Kept the players on their toes, as they couldn't trust any out-of-character knowledge.

Back when I was planning to run a 2160 USS Excalibur campaign, I toyed with doing a B5 crossover. I've also played with the idea of a Starfleet vessel encountering Earth's Moon flying through space at warp velocities. If I did a BSG crossover, it wouldn't really be a crossover, it would be a humanoid civilisation fleeing the Borg.

Dr. Who once made a cameo appearance in my game - I'm not a big Who fan, but some of my players are - as have Dave Lister and Arnold Rimmer. More recently, a slight variation on Forbidden Planet was established to be part of my Trek continuity (Commander Adams was the captain of the early Starfleet vessel NC-57, USS Excalibut, present at the devastation of Altair IV).

But that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    [i]" More recently, a slight variation on Forbidden Planet was established to be part of my Trek continuity (Commander Adams was the captain of the early Starfleet vessel NC-57, USS Excalibut, present at the devastation of Altair IV).

But that's just me...
    I read that on your website. I was going to ask you about it too, as I used "Robby the Robot" as a guest star for an adventure a few ywars back. I wish I had gone with the idea of using Forbidden Planet as a pre-TOS story. It fits so well, as it was obviously one of Gene's inspirations for Trek.

I think that I'll have to try using Forbidden Planet. I'm thinking that I could end up putting Robby on board the PC's ship as a character much like Data. Robby's anylyzers and processors could be the forerunners to TNG's replicators.

I once used aliens modeled on the "Ur-ru" (sp?) of "The Dark Crystal" just to give my crew nonhumanoid aliens to work with.

And a PC in a game I didn't end up running was a captain who came from a planet of beings similar to "Vincent" in TV's "Beauty and the Beast."

Personally, though, I'd like to see what deviltry Casey and Andy would get into in the Star Trek universe.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    Personally, though, I'd like to see what deviltry Casey and Andy would get into in the Star Trek universe.
    Well as I now sit here watching the sun rise, with my bleeding eyes...I would like to thank you for some great laughs with a firm BOOT TO THE HEAD!!!!
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"