Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Some Trek Movie News!

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    More than mangling continuity? Pray tell.
    What continuity? The series all were attrocious at that.

I'm none to hopeful for this movie. The universe and style of storytelling is pretty tired. It could be done well, were it revamped and reimangined, but you'd lose a lot of the fanboys that would whinge about continuity, or characters, or the technlogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    I think it would have even more relevance since he won't be in the film, personally...

Wise this one be.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Talking

I think it would have even more relevance since he won't be in the film, personally...
    No...

The part about Spiner NOT being in the next Trek film IS relevant.

The part about him praising JJ Abrams IS NOT relevant.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    No...

The part about Spiner NOT being in the next Trek film IS relevant.

The part about him praising JJ Abrams IS NOT relevant.
    So someone in the business who has experience with Trek, is NOT in the movie and, as a result, is not biased by wanting to keep his job saying that he feels Abrams is a good choice is irrelevant?

Um... Okay...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

So someone in the business who has experience with Trek, is NOT in the movie and, as a result, is not biased by wanting to keep his job saying that he feels Abrams is a good choice is irrelevant?
    Yep, pretty much. I'm not dissing Spiner's contribution to the franchise. His praise is just not newsworthy to me, unless it's "meh" news.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Trek XI Shapes Up

Nothing against you Jem'hadar but, that was incredibly uninformative.

JJ give us something to chew on, please.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

It won't happen, but I almost want the movie to be a surprise, I don't want to know how many toenails JJ Abrahams cuts each day untill the day of it's release! The less the fans know about it, the more excited they can get, and the less bitchy they can be about something which doesn't exist in the public sphere yet! the more gets done, and the more that's released, the more the wining and gnashing of teeth from the 'fans' there will be! Hmm!
    Ta Muchly

I'd tend to agree with Tobian here... If we could avoid having another leaked script to bash the movie one year before its release, I wouldn't be the first to complain...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Abrams Talks Kirk/Spock. Hedges on Directing
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekToday
    Producer J.J. Abrams said that he would make no decisions about whether he would direct Star Trek XI until he saw a script that made him believe he was the right person to helm the film, but said he hoped to start filming next spring regardless.
    Abrams said that the film would need to start shooting around next spring to meet Paramount's projected release date in 2008.
    Well not much more than director issue and release date. They are probably doing this to keep this movie in the news to build anticipation.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

on release date:

"We're revitalizing [Star Trek] in a new and interesting way," said Dauman, who told Variety that he expected a 2008-9 release date for the upcoming movie. Variety reported that J.J. Abrams "is set to direct" the film, though previously the studio would only confirm him as producer.

Abrams himself has said that until a screenplay was completed, he did not wish to make a decision about whether he or someone else should direct Star Trek XI. The producer recently signed a production deal with Paramount.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by stule
    Star Trek IX = Batman Begins.

Wake me when it's over.

*polishes his sledgehammer and paints a bull's-eye on stule's forehead*

Gladly.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Pretty much every review I've seen of "Batman Begins" called it a good movie. I know it's my gf's favorite of the franchise.

So, like, what're you getting at?
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I liked it also, except for the final mansion scene.
    - LUGTrekGM

Quote Originally Posted by stule
    But from what I have seen from Star Trek as of late, I ain't holding my breath.
    What you have seen are handprints of Rick Berman's and/or Brannon Braga's involvement of past Trek projects that churns my stomach. Voyager? Nemesis? Insurrection? Enterprise? All have Rick Berman's name on them.

I'm still hoping that Rick Berman won't add his name and involvement to JJ Abrams's Trek project, but the guy is too well-connected to Paramount's suits, no matter how much we -- the fans -- keep telling them he's the cancer.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan