Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TOS Schematics

TOS Schematics

Texas Class Light Cruiser (SFB)

Interesting. Your design or adapted from another source?

The underslung deflector here looks out of place. Too... fragile. Maybe mount it inside a small structure on the bottom of the front hull, or mount it right on the front of the front hull (like this only upside-down).
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 08-05-2006 at 12:41 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Type K Starbase

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Interesting. Your design or adapted from another source?

The underslung deflector here looks out of place. Too... fragile. Maybe mount it inside a small structure on the bottom of the front hull, or mount it right on the front of the front hull (like this only upside-down).
    It's a Star Fleet Battles design, which means I can't change it all that much. :S

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    It's a Star Fleet Battles design, which means I can't change it all that much. :S
    Why? : P
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I don't mind doing minor alternations and tweaks to other peoples' work.. but I don't wholesale chage it.

I don't mind doing minor alternations and tweaks to other peoples' work.. but I don't wholesale chage it.
    But... why?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    But... why?
    Not to butt in, or put words into anyone's mouths, but I think TFV likes to update ship designs to reflect the current status of Trek canon (warp drives to specific eras, for example), and adjust things to accomodate logical design which may have been overlooked in the original work (like sensor dishes where none existed before). TFV has put many a painstaking hour, we'll call it 'correcting', ship designs, no matter how athestically unpleasing some designs are (and there ARE some out there!). Trek has a sad history of being very inconsistent, and I really appreciate TFV ironing out this one aspect for us!

As for the weak dish mount on the Texas class, the 'drop dish' design is consistent with Franz Joseph's work (which a good portion of fans accept as canon), although I can't attest to what the original Texas class looked like.

And I sound kinda preachy, don't it? Sorry. Carry on...

I like the designs personally
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I'm just unabashed about my desire to tweak things to my personal tastes. I'm, uh, disrespectful to a lot of the previous fan source material. Part of it comes from not being exposed to historical non-screentime designs (beyond FASA) until recently.

[QUOTE=UFC465537]Not to butt in, or put words into anyone's mouths,[QUOTE]

You're pretty close, actually. One of the main things I shoot for is that the tech for each genreation is consistant as possible when I'm making compilations, with priority going to 'canon' and then 'core' works. That's why TOS designs have dishes across the board, even though FASA designs (in partcilar) didn't have them. They were SUPPOSED to, and 'canon' makes them neccessary.

I also clean up a lot of designs past that point. FASA, in particular, had a lot of designs which didn't sync with different views, or had other key issues. (Scale of components being major).

Lastly, I tweak to fit so that they can work within 'canon' pretty seamlessly. There's no reason, for instance, that the Jaynz guide and the 2265 guide can't be used if you're focused on a TOS campaign.

As for the weak dish mount on the Texas class, the 'drop dish' design is consistent with Franz Joseph's work (which a good portion of fans accept as canon), although I can't attest to what the original Texas class looked like.
    http://www.shipschematics.net/startr...iser_texas.jpg is the official pic, but the miniature has some notable differences, particular in the warp engine connectors (which are flush there). That's where I tweaked the most.

You're pretty close, actually...
    I also clean up a lot of designs past that point. FASA, in particular, had a lot of designs which didn't sync with different views, or had other key issues. (Scale of components being major).
    Well, I'm glad I'm right about something! Just don't tell my wife, it might shatter her image of me!

Lastly, I tweak to fit so that they can work within 'canon' pretty seamlessly. There's no reason, for instance, that the Jaynz guide and the 2265 guide can't be used if you're focused on a TOS campaign.
    Darn tootin'! I'm happy for that, seeing that I only run TOS games and getting tired of using the same dozen ships OVER and OVER and OVER... your re-works tend to be the most popular part of our sessions! Which means less work for me!

http://www.shipschematics.net/startr...iser_texas.jpg is the official pic, but the miniature has some notable differences, particular in the warp engine connectors (which are flush there). That's where I tweaked the most.
    The original is pretty damned ugly. It makes me wonder how SFB has survived as long as it has with quality standards like that...You continue to impress and amaze, TFV (ND)! Keep up your good works!

Grenadier Guards Class Haevy Destroyer (SFB)

Texas Class Light Cruiser (SFB)
    In top view, it looks like the middle section bends down. I have tried to look at the other views to readjustment how my mind is looking at it but it does not seem to help.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Cassard Class Missile Destroyer (Bill Colley)