Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposal would increase planets from 9 to 12

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Gee, First of Two, you love mentally torturing schoolchildren these days, huh?

Remove "mentally" and you'll be closer.

Both my parents were teachers. I thusly believe that every public school teacher (that's US public, not UK Public) should be issued a gun and ammunition at the start of each school year and permitted a 10% class fatality rate. Including problem parents.

*BLAM!* Anybody else not do their homework?

No, I will not pass your drooling imbecile of a child just so you can relive your failed athletic ambitions vicariously through him. *BLAM!*
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    Remove "mentally" and you'll be closer.

Both my parents were teachers. I thusly believe that every public school teacher (that's US public, not UK Public) should be issued a gun and ammunition at the start of each school year and permitted a 10% class fatality rate. Including problem parents.

*BLAM!* Anybody else not do their homework?

No, I will not pass your drooling imbecile of a child just so you can relive your failed athletic ambitions vicariously through him. *BLAM!*
    In that case, I'd rather choose homeschooling for my children.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

For real.

One-on-one learning is much more efficient... assuming the teacher knows the subject material.

But hey, uncontrollable rugrats should be kept at home, and out of places where people are trying to enjoy themselves, like restaurants, theatres, libraries, toy stores, playgrounds, and sidewalks.

Truth is, though, behind every berserk munchkin, there's a parent who messd up.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Talking

Truth is, though, behind every berserk munchkin, there's a parent who messd up.
    Especially parents who don't believe in disciplining their kids, who eventually ended up on Dr. Phil, asking for help because they don't know what to do, for which I reply, "grow some backbones! Sheesh!"
    Last edited by REG; 08-22-2006 at 04:31 PM.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Well we're back to 8 now...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259/

The rule are (for the moment) as follows:
    RESOLUTION 5A
    (1) A planet is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

(2) A dwarf planet is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, (c) has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and (d) is not a satellite.

(3) All other objects orbiting the Sun shall be referred to collectively as "Small Solar System Bodies".
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Bah. My definition is STILL better.

There are hundreds of Near-Earth Asteroids. Jupiter, Saturn, and probably some other planets all have trojan asteroids in their orbits. NONE of them have "clear orbital neighborhoods" as per planetary requirement C.

Also, stop adding unnecessary letters. You don't need a U in neighborhood. Or color, for that matter.

j/k, brits.

This Just In!

Pluto have been stripped from its planet status!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2353457

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Also, stop adding unnecessary letters. You don't need a U in neighborhood. Or color, for that matter.

j/k, brits.
    It was a cut-n-paste, get over it.
    Phoenix...

but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    It was a cut-n-paste, get over it.
    Yes, I know that.

And my comment wasn't directed at YOU, it was directed at the article's writer (and less directly to English (non-American) speakers, who like to add such letters. Get over that.

Oh, and they also add a whole extra syllable to Aluminum! "Aluminium?" Wtf is up with that??? ARRGH! Mungo head hurt now!

Cool

Enough with this, please! You should have perceived by now that your comments are totally distracting and are not solely taken as "funny". So please let's head back to the core of the topic without further ado. Thanks. *Moderator-hat off again*
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Talk about your unnecessary comm- *SMACKSMACKSMACK*-aiigh!!! Okay, okay! Call off the Wermacht!

Anyway, it's not like there's anything new to discuss on the original issue. To paraphrase Chevy Chase:

"Planitesimal Francisco Pluto is still not a planet."

I don't see this changing... until the next IAU meeting, anyway. Lots of folks still aren't happy with the new definition. Or the other, 12-50+ planet one.

The one new can of worms I've heard has opened up is a determination on how these new "dwarf planets" are to be named. "Pluto" sets a Roman God precedent, but there are already other dwarf candidates with non-Roman names, Sedna and Quaoar, and such.

I say name them after notible science fiction authors . . . I mean you have elements named after prestigious institutions and important scientific minds.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    I say name them after notible science fiction authors . . . I mean you have elements named after prestigious institutions and important scientific minds.
    But then you get into the quagmire of defining science fiction, and then defining who's notable beyond mere popularity.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Keep them with the number system already established, Unless there is something unique about the object like Pluto would retain it's name by virtue of being first one discovered, Chiron for being the sister dwarf planet. Xena should be struck from the record and left with the name "2003 UB313".

This has got me starting to wonder about Pluto, are we looking at the same object found back in the '30's...
    Phoenix...