Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stargate SG-1 Comes To End

Stargate SG-1 Comes To End

SG-1 Ends Run; Atlantis Back

SCI FI Channel confirmed that it will not renew its record-breaking original series Stargate SG-1 for another season, but will pick up its spinoff series Stargate Atlantis for a fourth year. SG-1 aired its 200th episode on Aug. 18, and the SF series is the longest-running SF show on American television.

SCI FI issued the following statement on Aug. 21: "SCI FI Channel is proud to be the network that brought Stargate SG-1 to its record-breaking 10th season. Ten seasons and 215 episodes is an astounding, Guinness World Record-setting accomplishment. Stargate is a worldwide phenomenon. Having achieved so much over the course of the past 10 years, SCI FI believes that the time is right to make this season their last on the channel. SCI FI is honored to have been part of the Stargate legacy for five years, and we look forward to continuing to explore the Stargate universe with our partners at MGM through a new season of Stargate Atlantis."

Stargate SG-1, developed for television by executive producers Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner, is based on the 1994 feature film Stargate. SG-1, which originally starred Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge, began on Showtime, then moved to SCI FI after five seasons. The current cast includes Tapping, Shanks and Judge and newcomers Ben Browder, Claudia Black and Beau Bridges. It airs Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

SG-1 is dead? Phew, not a moment too soon. The last season that aired here, with Cameron Mitchel (season 9?) was a dim shadow of the classic seasons with Jack O'Neill. Even the lame season without Daniel was better.

Well, I wouldn't use "dead" after a 10-year run. That's three years longer than any contemporary Trek series, including TNG and DS9. Six years if you count Enterprise (now THAT I would the "d" word on this Berman-Braga series).

But I do agree it is time to close the chapter on this series and move to a new one (in addition to Atlantis) to continue the franchise.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

What happend to 'MacGyver's' character in space (O'Neill) anyway? Did they kill him off? Or was he transferred, promoted or what? What's the story behind it? Did Anderson want to quit?

I for my part gave SG-1 numerous shots and it never did it for me like Trek did.

Aww! Well it will be missed, I hope they give them a good send off! (and wrap up their major story ark!)

In many ways I could see this coming largelly because they were beginning to tread on each others toes. Their plotlines were getting rather intermingled, which really is unfair to Atlantis because of course SG1 is the premier team!

I rather liked Cameron Mitchel and I loved Claudia Black in it!

RDA didn't leave the show persay, but basically he wanted to spend more time with his kids, so he very rarelly appears in the show, but he does (can't say for season 10 yet, as I 'ain't seen a peep!) - O'Niel the character basically got promoted and I believe he now largelly works out of the Whitehouse, season 10 notwithstanding!
    Ta Muchly

O'neill first got promoted to command of the SGC, then to chief of Homeworld Security (that's the unofficial name of the department BTW, with a wink and a nod). He just made an appearance in ep.200 last week.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

@Tobian and Sho-Sa Kurita: Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    What happend to 'MacGyver's' character in space (O'Neill) anyway? Did they kill him off? Or was he transferred, promoted or what? What's the story behind it? Did Anderson want to quit?

I for my part gave SG-1 numerous shots and it never did it for me like Trek did.
    Only if you compare SG-1 to TOS, TNG, and DS9 combined. VOY and ENT couldn't stand against SG-1, not even if you include Braga's Threshold from CBS.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Only if you compare SG-1 to TOS, TNG, and DS9 combined. VOY and ENT couldn't stand against SG-1, not even if you include Braga's Threshold from CBS.
    You thoughts, not mine. Oppinions differ. That's fine by me.

Perhaps the episodes loose 'it' in the translation to german language, maybe I only watched the wrong episodes.
    But from what I have seen, I'd vote VOY above SG-1 anytime. Can't say too much about ENT though, haven't seen enough of those to have a solid oppinion either, although I'll give ENT the benefit of the doubt as it has been Trek at some time

Talking

You thoughts, not mine. Oppinions differ. That's fine by me.
    Certainly, like I don't see David Hasselhoff as a major superstar, even if he's American, and starred in Knight Rider.

But from what I have seen, I'd vote VOY above SG-1 anytime. Can't say too much about ENT though, haven't seen enough of those to have a solid oppinion either, although I'll give ENT the benefit of the doubt as it has been Trek at some time
    Not under Brannon & Berman's creative and franchise leadership.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

*sniff*

*waves a sad farewell to his favourite sci-fi series of all time*

I think the true genius of SG-1 was that it never jumped the shark; season 10 was just as witty, just as exciting and with just as many cool stories and action scenes as the earlier seasons.

True, Mitchell was no Jack O'Neill, but he was a pretty good replacement, and Vala was just sensational (apart from anything else, it was nice hearing a real Australian accent on a major TV show, as opposed to the horribly fake ones so commonly heard!).

Still...there's Atlantis, which has me utterly hooked and addicted after only 2 and a bit seasons. Hell, it had me hooked from about the third episode...!

Farewell, SG-1...we'll miss you.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Actually Baal is also Australian - I only noticed when he started using his voice without the Goa-uld reverb

Someone suggested to me there might be a TV movie ala the end o Farscape - for it, to round out the Ori war.. that would seriously be cool!
    Ta Muchly

In other news, Abulia Savant reports:
    Happy SG-4th of July?
    On this Independence Day, rumors are flying over on GateWorld about the possible return of Stargate SG-4. As Stargate SG-1 prepares to enter its historic tenth season, the second season of SG-4 may be given the green light. GateWorld reports that “at the request of several of the principal cast members, talks have resumed about a potential second season.”
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Heh. I wondered if anyone would ever pick that up as a reference to a real series. That's just Don announcing that his gaming group may resurrect their old Stargate SG-1 RPG campaign...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Gateworld reports:

Cooper: SG-1 will go on

Monday - August 21, 2006 | by Darren Sumner

Don't count Stargate SG-1 out just yet. Though SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running series (story), the show's producers are hard at work looking for a new outlet for the story to continue, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting