Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decipher Trek Update in Game Trade

All this info about maps has got me interested.

But no offense to the Decipher Mob but I'll take Geof Mandels Mapbook coming from Pocket Books anyday over what the RPG will make.

Unless of course they're sharing info?

------------------
    SIR SIG

More then meets the eye,
    His a MapMaker in disguise.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    Unless of course they're sharing info?

</font>
    I'd like to see THAT happen. You should check out the Psi Phi Star Trek Books BBS posts that have been made over the past 48 hours about Star Trek liscenses doing crossovers/trades/et al. http://www.psiphi.org/book-bbs/get/startrek/22278.html is where the posts about LUG stuff begin.

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    But no offense to the Decipher Mob but I'll take Geof Mandels Mapbook coming from Pocket Books anyday over what the RPG will make.
    </font>
    Geof Mandel's Mapbook? Geof Mandel's Mapbook?? Is this something new coming out from Pocket Books? If so, anyone have an idea when it's expected?

THANKS

Thumbs down

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Caretaker:
    I'd like to see THAT happen. You should check out the Psi Phi Star Trek Books BBS posts that have been made over the past 48 hours about Star Trek liscenses doing crossovers/trades/et al.</font>
    I'm sorry, I couldn't find what you were referencing. All I found were a couple deragatory posts about TrekRPGNet and our discussion boards. Apparently the Decipher crew are "arrogant SOBs" and people take issue with the fact that we're not all flaming fan-boys of Peter David.

I was even singled out (regarding my dislike of Peter David).

Admittedly I didn't search for very long but truthfully I didn't see the need.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 08-28-2001).]

Don said: "...and people take issue with the fact that we're not all flaming fan-boys of Peter David."

Hmm... maybe that's because the works of Peter David are putrid drivel. That might have something to do with it.

Call me a purist, but I never have (nor will I ever) used anything from the Star Trek novels. I have, in fact, read a couple of them, but they are [generally] so bad that I find little playable in them (let alone redeeming).

Now, as to whether the DecipherTrek guys are arrogant SOBs, I can pretty much attest that, in my experience, they are extremely friendly folks. They are a bit more distant than in the past (because of all the obnoxious boneheads that continually berated and verbally abused them), and I can't say that I blame them; you can only take somebody pissing in your face for so long before you have to turn your back to them.

Call me crazy, but when the people responsible for producing something of which you are fond give you their collective ear, it's considered bad for to spit or scream in it. Don, Steve, Christian, Ross, and the other LUG-turned-Decipher gents have gone out of their way to accomodate the fans, and you just can't please all of the people all of the time... you just can't.

Decipher is producing an excellent set of Star Trek Role Playing Game materials, and if they choose not to produce maps or stuff based on the adventures of Captain Calhoun and the Funky Bunch, then that's their perogative; calling them arrogant sons of bitches is incorrect (both literally and figuratively) and out of line. If you don't like how they do things, then don't buy their stuff... it's really very simple.

I'm (obviously) very opinionated, but I usually keep my thoughts to myself, but in this case I feel the need to make and exception. Name calling and misrepresenting the facts because their opinions do not coincide with yours is extremely juvenile and just plain rude.

When I express my opinion, I try to do so once and let it be. Once I know that I've made my views clear, that's good enough for me (unless I'm in the mood for a debate). Continually hammering away at an individual or a group because he or they do not agree with you just makes you look like a fool.

In any case, I guess what I'm trying to say is this: while you may not agree with their decisions regarding what to include and what to exclude, the fact is that they have the license and you don't. That pretty much makes all of the whining moot, doesn't it?

mactavish out.

I just spent the entire afternoon over at the website/bbs in question.

Comments:

1) They need a little bit of organization. It sure would have made things easier if similar topics were kept together.

2) A few people had negative comments about the value of RPG as canon material (rating it lower than everything else), but very few posts actually seemed to care about us. It was just one or two loud people.

I find it incredibly amusing that people there discounted the value of the RPG as canon information, and then complain that the Decipher folks aren't using their stuff.

I for one find the game to be much better canon than most if not all of the novels.

3) Our Tuvix and Endgame arguments were a hell of a lot better argued than the ones over there.

Alex

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don:
    I'm sorry, I couldn't find what you were referencing. All I found were a couple deragatory posts about TrekRPGNet and our discussion boards. Apparently the Decipher crew are "arrogant SOBs" and people take issue with the fact that we're not all flaming fan-boys of Peter David.

</font>
    As opposed to the mindless drones over there who ARE all rampant Peter David fanboys/girls.

How sad. Actually no. I take it back. It's not sad, it's pathetic.

If they like David's work well that's fine. But the rather sad attacks on people who have the gall to not agree with their 'taste' is just pathetic.

Besides, most of the anti David commetns made here have been a damn site more thoughtful than the endless pontificating about what a genius PAD is by his fans.

Oh well, each to his own.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-74600, U.S.S. Intrepid
    Star Trek: Intrepid

[This message has been edited by USS Intrepid (edited 08-28-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mactavish:

Hmm... maybe that's because the works of Peter David are putrid drivel. That might have something to do with it.

</font>
    Hey be fair. Putrid drivel is far too generous.

Based on the article I think Decipher is doing a great job with the Trek RPG. I especially like that they're not making me buy a ton of stuff that I already own from LUG.

In terms of whether we'll see everything they've promised, I'm amazed at the speed with which Decipher has released expansions for its CCG (Yes, and that includes the oft-maligned approval process from Paramount.) If they say they are producing these books, I believe them. If anyone can do it, they can.

Not much longer to wait, and I think it will be well worth it!

-Lt(jg) Sean

Please do not take the opinionated ideas of a few people and assume that they speak for the entire family of posters at psiphi.

Yes, there are folks whose only function in life seems to be to say how THEIR ideas are better, and only fools could think otherwise, and that TPTB should all be fired and replaced with whomever's making the post.
    You'll find folks like that everywhere.

I was present for the big "Sulu should have a book line!" Whine-a-fest a year or so ago, when a scant few people ranted and raved and called names, because the editors at PB didn't want to continue an abysmally-selling line just for them.

First of Two (who still posts at psiphi, and is a ship geek, but will never be a fanboy).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by First of Two:
    Please do not take the opinionated ideas of a few people and assume that they speak for the entire family of posters at psiphi.

</font>
    No worries, didn't mean to imply that everyone over there was like that. Sorry if it came across like that.

And hey, I just read those posts, and they were quoting me!!

Fame at last.

Though to be fair, he is right on one point. I do seem to have been wrong about Nechayev. Oh well, can't remember everything Anyway, I still think he's butchered almost every other established 'real' Trek character he's used in NF.

Still, I find it sooooooooo very funny that he essentially calls US the mindless drones

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter

[This message has been edited by USS Intrepid (edited 08-28-2001).]

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Captain Blake:
    I just spent the entire afternoon over at the website/bbs in question.</font>
    Wow! I'm sorry!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    1) They need a little bit of organization. It sure would have made things easier if similar topics were kept together.
    </font>
    Agreed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I find it incredibly amusing that people there discounted the value of the RPG as canon information, and then complain that the Decipher folks aren't using their stuff.
    </font>
    I found that irony amusing as well.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Captain Blake:

</font>
    And most of those same people seem to treat PAD's work as canon.

Very odd.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter

</font>
    I'm sorry you had to read that by the one person on the board who is truly anti-LUG/anti-Decipher. I've known him for a while and he does great artwork and is generally nice, but for some reason he can come out very strongly in his opinions. There are still many on that board that are nice and enjoy LUG's work (me included).

The playtest is winding down and most of the rules are settling into place. I'll be doing another article/preview shortly and also touch upon the GM's Book and what you'll be getting with your hard-earned money.

If Decipher is willing I will also try to nail down release dates.

</font>
    Ya know, I'm so glad I found this site/ board/ community. Being able to get info direct from the horses' mouths (no offense), and on an UNOFFICIAL forum is just way too cool...

I know that some other games have designers and writers post on the boards from time to time, but it's not nearly the same.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain