Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Simulation

OK... here comes a first test map, sort of ....
    the resolution is awful and i'm not sure if it is of any help.
    The labeling was in-legible and on close up the nebula becomes a nebulous blurr
    I'm ashamed of myself
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't be so hard on yourself, the hex grid is great and the Nebula (agreed) not so great.

I have some counters I have shrink, give me a few days and I'll try and have facings also. They fit with your map now, I'll be coloring the borders to ID the ships.

Edit:
    Counter Up-Date: Requested ships
    Last edited by Phoenix; 10-18-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I second that. I was just going to suggest that you could increased the size of the ship counter, so it filled the hex. Which probably would have been enough to give a good result. But Phoenix counters look great

Things brings up a good question . . . since the Nebula is modular in design, what version/outfitting does she have at the time. Makes a HUGE differnce regarding power available, weapons available, tracking abilities, number of attatched shuttles and runabouts . . .

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Those counters are neat
    This evening i will try to refine the map a bit further (and get rid of my 10-Minute-kit-bash nebula).
    Since the counter can't be incorporated in Campaign Cartographer (at least to my knowledge) i enlist the help of my wife, to combine the pictures (she's way faster at that than I am)

Things brings up a good question . . . since the Nebula is modular in design, what version/outfitting does she have at the time. Makes a HUGE differnce regarding power available, weapons available, tracking abilities, number of attatched shuttles and runabouts . . .
    I'd say since we have a complement of runabouts on the Fed side, the configuration should be designed for carrier duties. To counteract any questions of why we only have two runabouts we could have the Nebual being attacked at the end of a mission delivering runabouts to various Stations along the border. The Ships in the game are the only ones left in the Hangar bay.

Edit: As for the size I frist imagined to have each field labeld so we can just swap Coordinates (but then again if i make the labels bigger we could get legible results

might I suggest you do this in a yahoo group we did it with the Wolf 359 sim and I believe they did it with the Akira sim as well.
    The yahoo group used for the 359 sim no longer exists (nobody was using it).

I do have a few hex maps you could use for it,(either black or white) unfortunantely not numerical (hexes numbered).

The following pics were shrunk a bit,and are actually a bit bigger but there was no way i was going to post anything bigger than this and i plan to remove these pics after a couple days or sooner if a mod insists )

this is what it would look like on white (rather harsh)

this is what it would look like on black (far better)

or you could use RPtools MAPTOOLmaptool
    you could end up with a map like this:

though it takes some work to get maptool to work for a space sim if you have somebody experienced with it, its rather easy (theres even an icon making tool for this application).
    it still has some bugs, and theres a forum to get help with it if folks are interested..

and yes you can still use it to put your deckplans on and use it regularly as we do.
    Last edited by wolfe; 10-19-2006 at 09:42 AM.
    god,grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,The good fortune to run into the ones I do,And the eyesight to tell the difference..

NSDQ

Thanks Wolfe for the suggestions
    I bow before your abilities

Well with my wife's help I made this on the laptop

Unfortunately my Desktop seems to be gone for good right now (has been running unstable for two days, and is probably over the edge for good )

Luckily I still have a laptop

Hopefully the labels are more legible now
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd say since we have a complement of runabouts on the Fed side, the configuration should be designed for carrier duties. To counteract any questions of why we only have two runabouts we could have the Nebual being attacked at the end of a mission delivering runabouts to various Stations along the border. The Ships in the game are the only ones left in the Hangar bay.

I don't think we should run a carrier Nebula, only because that simulation has been done . . . I mean an Akira (a size 7) with nine Peregrines did a good deal of damage to a D'Deredix and two raptors, destroying them all (muahahaha!) . . . so lets see what the Nebula can do on it own. The only reason why I suggested that the Danubes be aboard, is that I cannot imagine any capital ship of the line of significant size (size eight or larger), with the shuttlebay room to spare, would not have atleast one Danube, if not more.

Furthermore, this could be test of the ship which was commanded by CAPT Solok, the USS T'Kumbra . . . which provided CAPT Solok with a significant number of combat awards.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Well since it happens acrosse the border I suggest either an specialized sensor pod for information gathering across the border or a weapons pod (installed in anticipation of hostilities)

Another thing that we should factor is the Z plan, up and down, as space is three dimensional. How are we going to represent that? And how will we figure movement points that way?

Another thing that we should factor is the Z plan, up and down, as space is three dimensional. How are we going to represent that? And how will we figure movement points that way?

We could give each ship counter a Value equal to MU's along the Z axis.

The rest can be solved through the equation following equation

If the nebula wanted to go from point X=1 Y=2 and Z=3 to the Point X=4; Y=5 and Z= 8 it has to cross a Distance of 3²+3²+ 5² = 43 you just have extract the square root to get the distance =6,5 MU

(That is if my math has not failed me )

+z is up -z is down.
    movement point cost just the same as movement from hex to hex only those hexes won't be seen.

might want to mark the counters in some way for quick reference to show they are +Z or -Z axis.

but if you folks are really going to restart simming and keep it up you might as well instead of planning any sims right off, just go ahead and continue with determining how things are going to work(such as keep track of cloaked ships,
    the +z -z movement track).

that way once you get it done, its done and all thats left is just determining whats going to be simmed.
    (which is why suggested a yahoo group as all notes, maps, counters and the like could be kept in the files section).
    god,grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,The good fortune to run into the ones I do,And the eyesight to tell the difference..

NSDQ

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto
    We could give each ship counter a Value equal to MU's along the Z axis.

The rest can be solved through the equation following equation

If the nebula wanted to go from point X=1 Y=2 and Z=3 to the Point X=4; Y=5 and Z= 8 it has to cross a Distance of 3²+3²+ 5² = 43 you just have extract the square root to get the distance =6,5 MU

(That is if my math has not failed me )

Oh slick . . . using that Pathagorian thereom on me . . . how can I forget something that I learned . . . oh over a decade ago!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfe
    +z is up -z is down.
    movement point cost just the same as movement from hex to hex only those hexes won't be seen.

might want to mark the counters in some way for quick reference to show they are +Z or -Z axis.

but if you folks are really going to restart simming and keep it up you might as well instead of planning any sims right off, just go ahead and continue with determining how things are going to work(such as keep track of cloaked ships,
    the +z -z movement track).

that way once you get it done, its done and all thats left is just determining whats going to be simmed.
    (which is why suggested a yahoo group as all notes, maps, counters and the like could be kept in the files section).
    The first simulation, is suppose to be simple enough, to test the basic rules, and figure out these things, as well as figure out what sub-rules need to be created . . . so it's a learning through process thing. However, it is good that you mention this . . . because we really do need to keep track of ALL these things . . . even down to did red shirts 5-22 die while they were manning rear torpedo launcher loader port? And other such things.

First off, just to let everyone know I have never participated in one of the on-line SD simulations, this is the first.

With that out of the way, I'm going to recommend against the +Z/-Z concept. It's a good idea, but it will make ship tracking a nightmare, and determining weapon ranges next to imposable.

I'd also like to ask "why not run the simulation here?", it can be and has been done before. Cpt. Lundgren has explained we could have a separate sub-forum with (if wanted or needed) limited access (those of us in this conversation most likely). Three threads would really be needed, one for basic information (the ships), one to run the simulation, and then an archive thread (it would be nice to see what was done).

Lastly, have we agreed on the first simulation - 1 Federation Nebula-class with up to 2 Danube-class Runabouts vs. a flight of 3 Dominion Attack Ships?
    Again just for simplicity , I'm going to suggest a base line Nebula (I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I haven't run a SD battle in a while... a long while). We can always up the ante in later simulations (hmm... Battle of Chin'taka anyone )
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"