Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Simulation

First off, just to let everyone know I have never participated in one of the on-line SD simulations, this is the first.

With that out of the way, I'm going to recommend against the +Z/-Z concept. It's a good idea, but it will make ship tracking a nightmare, and determining weapon ranges next to imposable.
    This goes doubly for me, we will be having enough troubles keeping track of everything.

I'd also like to ask "why not run the simulation here?", it can be and has been done before. Cpt. Lundgren has explained we could have a separate sub-forum with (if wanted or needed) limited access (those of us in this conversation most likely). Three threads would really be needed, one for basic information (the ships), one to run the simulation, and then an archive thread (it would be nice to see what was done).
    I agree creating a forum outside is certainly not really necessary (even more so if we want to attract more players)

Lastly, have we agreed on the first simulation - 1 Federation Nebula-class with up to 2 Danube-class Runabouts vs. a flight of 3 Dominion Attack Ships?
    Again just for simplicity , I'm going to suggest a base line Nebula (I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I haven't run a SD battle in a while... a long while). We can always up the ante in later simulations (hmm... Battle of Chin'taka anyone )
    As with me i never done a full fledged SD battle, so IMHO we need some practice before we start more advanced SD-Battles. But yes i think we -largly- have agreed upon that scenario.

We could call it "Baptism of fire" or something similar lofty
    Last edited by Captain Otto; 10-22-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix
    First off, just to let everyone know I have never participated in one of the on-line SD simulations, this is the first.

With that out of the way, I'm going to recommend against the +Z/-Z concept. It's a good idea, but it will make ship tracking a nightmare, and determining weapon ranges next to imposable.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT
    This goes doubly for me, we will be having enough troubles keeping track of everything.
    On here I disagree . . . although it means doing math to figure out each and every single distance . . . if we use an Excel spreadsheet with the formula that ALL of us learned during Geomerty 1&2 (yes here comes that Pythagorean theorem again . . . ahh!) . . . it's just a matter of plugging in the Distance to and height from object A to B to figure out the distance . . . that should be simple enough. And the only time we will be doing this is during the firing phase of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT
    I agree creating a forum outside is certainly not really necessary (even more so if we want to attract more players)
    Agreed . . . but can we create a forum where only members can post . . . but everyone can watch . . . and a seperate thread . . . where they can post . . . like a peanut gallery.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

And the only time we will be doing this is during the firing phase of combat
    On that I have to disagree, we have to consider having Starships move along the Z-axis as well.

but can we create a forum where only members can post . . . but everyone can watch . . . and a seperate thread . . . where they can post . . . like a peanut gallery.
    Nice Idea, something like Sareks Lounge...

I thought non-members can't even read what is going on in there.

Futhermore . . . would it not make sence, since we're dealing with a 3d environment . . . that we should provide a 3d game space?
    Last edited by JALU3; 10-23-2006 at 09:17 AM.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I thought non-members can't even read what is going on in there.
    Oops, youre right.

Futhermore . . . would it not make sence, since we're dealing with a 3d environment . . . that we should provide a 3d game space?
    Counterquestion: How could we achieve this?

X,Y,Z positions . . . and using the pythagorean theroum for distance measuring.

I got you wrong, I thought you were talking about a visual reference.
    Like a 3 d Map...

Oh GOD no . . . that would be way to complicated . . . unless someone has a holo projector as prefered by any good 24th century CAG
    No, I was thinking about a box on the lower left hand corner of the object stating it's positive or negative in comparisan to the local plain of travel.

Good, I think this should be no problem - that is until we start scrolling the map. then we have to change the Coordinates as well.

But this i think is neither too complicated.

As for quardanents . . . we shouldn't scroll . . . there should be a point in the local area map that is 0,0,0 . . . and everything is around that point . . . even if we end up with 100, 500, -25. That way we can continuelly create a track history of travel . . . see what tactics were used . . . and how those decisions had an effect in the course of the engagement.

This in Turn makes a map unfeasable.

If we end up with Coordiates to far apart we would need a microscope

But then again amap really isn't neccessary at all.

The Nebula should start at 0,0,0 as it is the target of the attackers.

A Map helps, but is not necessary. Plus, it provides sexy visuals for the Peanut Gallary.

But why does it have to be over sized . . . as the combat moves . . . so does the map, but the coordinates remain the same.

For instance . . . does the Prime meridean move on maps.google.com when you move the map area that you are looking at? No

Now for areas within a solar system . . . a map is dire important . . . because you have to figure in tracks of intrasteller objects, both naturally occuring and artificial.

Your right with the maps

What else should we settle befor we start playing.

In here not much . . . but in real life a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto
    Your right with the maps

What else should we settle befor we start playing.
    Not all positions have been filled.