Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simulation

You people are thinking too 2-dimentional, Thermopylae could be done as a planetary defense scenario. A small group of ships need to prevent the invasion of, lets say Setlik, from an invasion force until reinforcements can arrive from Bajor.

Defending Forces: No more than 6 Federation/Klingon ships. Heavy Frigates being the largest.
    Attacking Forces: At least twice as many light attack ships with an equal number of troop transports.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I think that is the whole problem with the classical Thermopylae scenario transplanting in space.
    The creeks could take advantage of the lay of the land, blocking the Pass and staving of the Persian attacks.
    If you remove the unique terrain advantage it becomes a equally desperate defensive scenario minus the glory of holding against an enemy who outnumbers the defenders by a very large margin. The scenario would have to be scaled down, to present even a slim chance of winning for the defenders.
    This way it sounds more like the last stand at the Alamo.
    But none the less it would be an interesting scenario.
    Which gets me to the question what scenario are we doing first. I'm anxious to try all of them out. But where to start?

Well let us start very simple. Why don't we measure the capability of several of the designs that have been posted . . . each against a standard flight of three Dominion Attack Ships . . . you standard enemy on the DS9/TNG erea. Open space.

This way we can practice the basics of the system. After running 2-3 of these . . . we can get into something more complicated.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Good idea ,

but which one ?

Alternatively we could use for starters an tried and time tested vessel out of srm1.

By the way who besides you, JALU3 and me is willing to participate?

And who wants to moderate it?
    (I'll do it if no one else wants to, but i rarely had a chance to try an actual spacedock space combat, prefering to use the basic system, during playing sessions).

During gaming, what few opertunities, I have had I use the basic rules, coupled with some of the extras provided by Spacedock . . . as it is easier to ajudicate . . . and allows the story telling to go by faster.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I think we should do the simulations strictly "by the book" as going through one turn on the net with multiple paticipants certainly takes longer than desired at the gametable.
    It also eliminates the need to agree about house rules.
    If we find something unsuitable we can change it in later simulations.

I'd say we use a Nebula, Ambassador or Galaxy class for starters, against the flight of 3 Jem Hadar Fighters.
    I think we should make shields effective for the Fed ship, (otherwise it would be far to easy for the Dominiom ships)

Definatly. Make it where the ship (I say a Nebula, transporting a flight of danubes (for outpost X)) is patrolling the border just before the DW starts . . . that way they have the shield modifications to make it effective against Dominion weapons . . . and they are on edge.

Now that we have the rough outlines for our first scenario we have to decide further steps.

We could use a hexagon map as a playing surface. (I could use Campaign cartographer to create one, along with some "crude" miniatures), it could go a long way to help visualisation.

As well we have to decide who will play the feds and who takes the Dominion Forces.

Also we have to work out the Commanders of the respective "Task forces".

I'll take one of the Dominion attack ships

Well,I take the Nebula if no one else wants it, but i could as well take one of the attack ships

I say those who have been really involved in the process let the Fed ship, and its complement of shuttles and what not . . . be given to someone REALLY hardcore experienced using this system.

So where would you like to host this map Otto?
    I'd suggest Photobucket with url's (vs. img or tag). The result would be this this or this http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...54Skycrane.jpg

Yes it is the same generic image on my account in both.
    Phoenix...

but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

I haven’t had the time to do any serious work on the maps, but I hope to get something done this evening (less the drawing of the actual map but I was considering to start on a top view of the Nebula). Actually I’m at a loss about the size the map should have.
    With each Hex presenting a Movement Unit, things could get out of hand (and out of sight) as ships passing each other by at full impulse move about 13 MU`s (rounded up). If the ships get even faster the size of the map has to be enlarged accordingly. But then again the Hexes can be labelled. As soon as I can get to work we’ll see if this is really feasible.

But thanks for the advice, photobucket looks good to me.

Now to something not so completely different:

The following Slots for the simulation are currently available

Federation Forces

Nebula Class Open
    Runabout #1 Open
    Runabout #2 Open

Dominion Forces

Jem’Hadar Fighter #1 Jalu3
    Jem’Hadar Fighter #2 Captain Otto
    Jem’Hadar Fighter #3 Open

Further participants are welcome

A quick fix for the map size problem, map scrolling. The map moves with the center of the action, it's one of the rules from SFB... again with the SFB...

I need a life.

and I don't even play SFB...
    Phoenix...