Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ST: Reboot The Universe idea thread

Quote Originally Posted by C5
    I haven't seen all of Voyager, so I can't really comment on the Doctor's uniqueness... but I tend to agree with Tobian that what could cause problem would be his sentience.

After all, it seems Treknology has a lot of trouble when it comes to dealing with intelligence itself, and, most of the time, is simply unable to replicate it.
    Maybe a "fully intelligent" AI is in a perpetual state of flux, meaning that a backup would be as inaccurate as a photograph of someone is to the real, living person.

This would for instance explain that Data could never be successfully copied or that Vic Fontaine could not be restarted.
    Hmm...interesting notion.

Currently working on the updated Integrated Tricorder idea. Also currently playing around with added functionality for the thing. I mean hey, look at cellphones these days and the amount of stuff you can do with them
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

After perusing GURPS Ultra Tech, I came across this nifty little item for the Medical staff to have as a back up weapon of sorts

Vortex Ring Projector: This advanced gas projector weapon consists of a reservoir tank, a mixing chamber that mixes the propellant and delivery gas, and a wave-shaping chamber that forms the ejected cloud into a vortex ring- effectively a high velocity smoke ring. This allows the delivery of gas at long ranges. Vortex Rings retain their momentum and cohesion at a long distance, and are not effected by light winds. They brake up, depositing their payload, when making contact with a solid target. But can be bounced witha glancing shot...

Now imagine the standard hypo gun with a add on option for the doctor when boarders sneak onboard...
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

And for the techies:

Sensor Gloves: these gloves are equipped with sensitive tactile, pressure, chemical, and bio-metric sensors. They can weigh items by lifting them, measure the hardness and smoothness of materials, detect chemicals, read ink printing, and scan this information into computer memory by touch. The finger tips can sense residual heat in a chair, or feel faint vibrations in the floor as some one approaches.

Gecko Adhesive: A sticky adheasive based on gecko setae (feet hairs). The pads have millions of tinry artificial hairs, covered in a protective coating, a small electrical pulse from a source causes the ahirs to extend or release. A one square inch patch can hold 800 lbs indefinitely in any environment, including the vacuum of space. Gecko Tape, as it is called, is a common item in repair kits for Starfleet techs, and Gecko technology is ubiquitous through out the Federation in many forms, such as glove and boot add-on’s.

A treatise on nanotech will be forthcoming
    Last edited by BouncyCaitian; 03-15-2007 at 02:43 AM.