Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Trek To Receive New CG Effects for HDTV and DVD

Thumbs up Original Trek To Receive New CG Effects for HDTV and DVD

The Digital Bits via Trektoday.com reports:

The original Star Trek is being remastered for future high defintion television syndication as well as eventual release on HD-DVD with new high-definition CG effects.

The Digital Bits reported the story in its Rumor Mill column, which reported previously that CBS Video, which now owns the Star Trek DVDs, was planning to retransfer the original series from film to HD-DVD. All of the Star Trek feature films will be rereleased for HD release as well.
    This is great news!
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Here's another news source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060831a.php

Maybe it's an eerie coincidence but the news came out on the heels of Lucasfilm releasing the original theatrical version of Star Wars Trilogy, and StarWars.com is displaying the image difference from the original to Lucas's preferred Special Edition version ... including the very controversial well-publicized "Han Shot First" scene.

I'm guessing StarTrek.com will also be spotlighting the image difference from the originally aired episode to the new FX version.

What's next? We digitally edits Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by spshu
    The Digital Bits via Trektoday.com reports:

This is great news!

Damn you, george lucas, Damn You To HELL!!
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    Damn you, george lucas, Damn You To HELL!!
    Yep. Now, we'll debate as to which ship fired first? Kirk's Enterprise or Kang's D7?

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    What's next? We digitally edits Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space?
    There's an idea...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq
    There's an idea...
    Thank GAWD Hollywood is not subsidized by our government.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Star Trek Gets Upgraded

The original 1960s Star Trek series will receive a high-tech makeover and return to broadcast syndication for the first time in 16 years, with digitally remastered episodes, Paramount announced.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...d=37772&type=0

A few interesting tidbits hinted about here, specifically about 2/3 of the way down. TFVanguard, take note....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Actually one good thing about this is that it means it's promising that they aren't just going to rehash the original series, and make something new, when they do a new series, because they are cleaning up the originals!

I may even get the cleaned up versions, when they release them as a boxed set, as i no longer have to cringe at how crappy the effects are!
    Ta Muchly

Well, we'll see how things shape up a week from Saturday, when the refurbished "Balance of Terror" airs. I'll let you know what I think then, but the publicity photos of the CGI Enterprise are just frickin' gorgeous. They've done a good job with the ship, as near as I can tell.

If they're finally going to put ships to all those vessels that only appeared as smeary blobs of light...

Oh, yeah, that might be worth it all just for that.

Of course, this news WOULD come out mere months after dear GF insisted we buy TOS on DVD.

Females.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Well, we'll see how things shape up a week from Saturday, when the refurbished "Balance of Terror" airs.
    Airs where, exactly, and on what network?
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mappin
    Airs where, exactly, and on what network?
    It's syndicated, so you're going to have to find it yourself, I fear. Here, it airs on KAMR-TV at 2 AM Sunday. I need to find the remote for the VCR here PDQ....

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Actually one good thing about this is that it means it's promising that they aren't just going to rehash the original series, and make something new, when they do a new series, because they are cleaning up the originals!

I may even get the cleaned up versions, when they release them as a boxed set, as i no longer have to cringe at how crappy the effects are!
    Not necessarily. According to the info released, this new Trek Film project has nothing to do with the new HD/CGI TOS remastering., and that differenrt people are involved.

THat being said, it would certainly make a lot of sense to reuse th CGI modelsf for a TOS feature film. In fact, a cynic might even go so far as to say that releasing TOS with new CGI will help fans accept any changes in how the Enterpise and other TOS effect look in a new film as compared to the old series. For instance, maybe that rainbow effect from TMP era will be a standard warp feature.

Changing the effects gives them a lot of retconning room with effects. Will the "proximity fuse phasers" in "Balance of Terror" look like photon torpedoes? Will early Klingon ships (prior to the introdcution of the D7) look like D7s or will they use some of the D2 and D3 designs from Enterprise? Will the SS Aurora still look like a Thorian ship? They could even change the transporter effect to make it more TMP like.

I'm gonna have to check and see what resolution my capture card can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    It's syndicated, so you're going to have to find it yourself, I fear. Here, it airs on KAMR-TV at 2 AM Sunday. I need to find the remote for the VCR here PDQ....

Word is, that it replaced Enterprise is your local line-up. So if you have a local station that is showing Enterprise at 12:30 AM on Sunday's that will be where TOS will be.

It also appears that the arragments is not a given. In my area the station that is currently airing Enterprise (at 12:30 AM on Sunday's, what a coincidience) is airing Cold Case at that time instead of TOS. I'm hoping that it just means the station wants to give it a better time slot.

There also seems to be very little chance of actually seeing it in HD. Most stations can't handle HD and the cable station that can handle it, can't show it because of existing contracts on cable with G4 and TVLAND foe "excusive" cable rights.

Also, many are wondering if the 16x9 masters are pillarboxed or cropped.