Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decipher Trek Update in Game Trade

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phantom:
    The Mirror Universe book, did they happen to mention if it will cover all (Terran Empire on) of what has been seen of the universe, or just that silly concept they had in DS9 (the Alliance, yek)?

</font>
    It says nothing in the article, but given that Decipher produced a mirror expansion for their CCG that included TOS stuff, I imagine the same will be the case with the Mirror book.

It may not be a ton of new information, but it's a decent amount.

I thought Steve was joking when he said he was writing a ship chapter for the players book.

Just what is a "slipcase" special edition??

Were the products you listed the only ones mentioned specifically in the magazine? Why didn't you mention series sourcebooks for TOS and the Movies? Any idea what's in "The Star Trek Galaxy"?

Did the magazine say what kinds of maps are planned? Do they include star charts?

It all sounds very good!

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Sorry to not have all the answers, guys.

The article was authored by Steven S. Long. It has no information on future products other than the names.

The two core rulebooks will be 256 pages each in full color.

Oh, I was mistaken in my first post. It states the books will be released in October 2001. However, they are not listed in the pre-order section, so I don't know whether Decipher has firmly committed to that date.

-Lt(j.g.) Sean

Cochrane:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    It may not be a ton of new information, but it's a decent amount.</font>
    Agreed! That's why I posted it. There's also supposed to be a second part in the next issue.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Just what is a "slipcase" special edition??</font>
    Not sure. I imagine it's like White Wold does with their RPGs - A leatherette version in a hard slipcase.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Were the products you listed the only ones mentioned specifically in the magazine? Why didn't you mention series sourcebooks for TOS and the Movies? Any idea what's in "The Star Trek Galaxy"?</font>
    I mentioned all the products I saw listed. However, they did indicate sixteen planned products. Just because it's not listed, doesn't mean it won't get done. I imagine the "Galaxy" book will have a map and more details on the quadrants, but they did not say anything.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Did the magazine say what kinds of maps are planned? Do they include star charts?</font>
    Sounds like it. Also ship deck plans and a "map set for TNG era games."

I wonder if us RPGers will get a preview of the star chart book coming from Pocket late next year.

So Paramount has loosened its restrictions on deckplans?

------------------
    Games... The... Final Product. These... are the books... of the Star... Trek RPG. Their five... year license. To explore... strange... new roles. To breathe... new... life into get... togethers. To bold... ly play what no... fan... has played... be... fore!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lt. (jg) Sean:
    Cochrane:

Sounds like it. Also ship deck plans and a "map set for TNG era games."
    </font>
    Deck Plans? (insert the sound of Flamestrike's drool pooling at his feet)

I take it Pocket Books relinquished their lisence?

------------------
    Even in this age of technological wonders, the human mind is still the most powerful weapon in the universe.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flamestrike:
    Deck Plans? (insert the sound of Flamestrike's drool pooling at his feet)

I take it Pocket Books relinquished their lisence?

</font>
    I don't know anything about the Pocket Books issue, but the articles states that the map products:

"include starship deck plans to go along with ship-based adventure material..."

-Lt(jg) Sean

[This message has been edited by Lt. (jg) Sean (edited 08-27-2001).]

According to the article, plans are to release about 16 products over the next 18 months, including:</font>
    LOL!! OK, now that is funny. This sounds like the same thing Last Unicorn Games planned on doing when they were publishing Star Trek. I'll be happy if Decipher gets out 6 books in the next 12 months.

Maybe they can keep to their schedule if they don't spend a lot of time talking to us. I'd like to have that many products in that short a time, but if I'm able to read each before the next one is released, I might not be able to read much else.

------------------
    Games... The... Final Product. These... are the books... of the Star... Trek RPG. Their five... year license. To explore... strange... new roles. To breathe... new... life into get... togethers. To bold... ly play what no... fan... has played... be... fore!

The article was authored by Steven S. Long. It has no information on future products other than the names.

-Lt(j.g.) Sean
    </font>
    Fascinating! Mr. Long, care to comment? Or anything else that you can add at this time?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    Did the magazine say what kinds of maps are planned? Do they include star charts?
    </font>
    Something a little off-topic: It should be noted that in the current issue of Star Trek: Communicator magazine (with the Enterprise NX-01 on the cover) there is a map of Voyager's path with relevant dates listed for major stops/events/jumps as the USS Voyager headed towards home.

I double checked the issue and it has a caption mentioning that the art department made the map in early season seven for a scene in Stellar Cartopgraphy.

[This message has been edited by Caretaker (edited 09-08-2001).]

Me gotsta git that issue!

------------------

The playtest is winding down and most of the rules are settling into place. I'll be doing another article/preview shortly and also touch upon the GM's Book and what you'll be getting with your hard-earned money.

If Decipher is willing I will also try to nail down release dates.

------------------

Talking Decipher Trek Update in Game Trade

In the latest (Sept/Oct) edition of Game Trade magazine they had a 4-page spread on Decipher's new Trek RPG. There's not a ton of new infromation, but they did give a general outline of the two core books.

Player's Guide includes:
    • Introduction
    • Character Creation (Species, Profession, attributes,skills, traits, etc.)
    • Technology & Ships
    • The galaxy from the player's perspective

Narrator's Guide includes:
    • Rules (including starship creation and combat)
    • Planet creation
    • Alien Species
    • Encounters and Obstacles chapter
    • Summary of a complete 26-episode "season"
    • Info on each of the TV series

Decipher will release the books in hardcover and "slipcase" special editions. According to the article, plans are to release about 16 products over the next 18 months, including:
    • Starships: Federation (others to follow)
    • The Klingons
    • The Mirror Universe
    • Series specific sourcebooks (TNG, DS9, VOY)
    • Star Trek Aliens Guide
    • The Star Trek Galaxy

Other tidbits include plans for lots of maps and a miniatures starship battle game.

The article did not give a release date.

-Lt.(j.g) Sean

[This message has been edited by Lt. (jg) Sean (edited 08-27-2001).]

The Mirror Universe book, did they happen to mention if it will cover all (Terran Empire on) of what has been seen of the universe, or just that silly concept they had in DS9 (the Alliance, yek)?

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!