Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character Questionnaire

Character Questionnaire

I'm preparing once again to run Coda Trek, and so I dug out this questionnaire I wrote up last time I ran the game. It may help your players to flesh out their characters in their minds a little more before actual play begins.

Note: The questionnaire assumes a TNG/DS9/VOY-era campaign with its questions, but I'm sure that excluding or rewordinga few questions would make it perfectly valid for ENT- or TOS-era campaigns.

<ul>
    <li>1. What is your character's full, legal name? Nickname(s)? Aliases? Do they like the nicknames/aliases?<p>
    <li>2. What species is your character (if they're a halfbreed, what two species)?<p>
    <li>3. What is the character's height, weight, eye color, hair color, and skin color? Any other distinguishing features (tatoos, scars, etc.)?<p>
    <li>4. What organization(s) does your character work for -- Starfleet, the Federation government, Section 31, the Imperial Klingon Defense Forces (I.K.D.F.), the Romulan Tal Shiar? If the character works for a spacefaring military power, which branch of service (Command, Sciences, etc.) does the character work for?<p>
    <li>5. Is the character patterned off of a character(s) from one of the Star Trek movies or TV series? If so, how does the character differ from their inspiration(s)?<p>
    <li>6. Where was the character raised (planet, city, type of environment)? Was the character raised by their parents? If not, were they raised among others of their own race(s)?<p>
    <li>7. What did the characters' parents (or guardians) do for a living? Did the character have any siblings, and if so, what do they do? Are members of this family still living, and if so, which ones, and where are they now?<p>
    <li>8. What is the character's most treasured childhood memory? What is the most disappointing, infuriating, or fearful episode from their childhood?<p>
    <li>9. When did the character enter formal training (Starfleet Academy, Vulcan Science Academy, etc.)? How did they do, did they excel, make friends, make enemies, flunk out?<p>
    <li>10. Is the character currently working for any (para-)military organization ...
    <ul>
    <li>10a. If a member of a (para-)military organization, how many tours of duty has the character served (specify length, each tour lasting 3-5 years)? On what planet/station/ship(s)? What noteworthy events happened during each tour? <p>
    <li>10b. If not a member of a (para-)military organization, what careers has the character held (for each 2-year period)? Who was the employer? On what
    planet/station/ship(s)? What noteworthy events happened during each occupation?
    </ul>
    <li>How does the character feel about the following groups/concepts ...
    <ul>
    <li>11. The Federation?<p>
    <li>12. Humans?<p>
    <li>13. Starfleet?<p>
    <li>14. Klingons and the Klingon Empire?<p>
    <li>15. Romulans and the Romulan Star Empire?<p>
    <li>16. Ferengi and the Ferengi Alliance?<p>
    <li>17. Cardassians and the Cardassian Union?<p>
    <li>18. Vulcans?<p>
    <li>19. Androids and artificial intelligences?<p>
    <li>20. The Founders and the Dominion?<p>
    <li>21. The Prime Directive?<p>
    <li>22. Time travel?<p>
    <li>23. Q?<p>
    <li>24. The Maquis?<p>
    <li>25. Genetic engineering?<p>
    <li>26. The Mirror Universe?<p>
    <li>27. Their current assignment/posting?<p>
    <li>28. Any other races, governments, directives, or technologies?<p>
    </ul>
    <li>29. What is the character's most treasured personal possession? How did they come to possess it?<p>
    <li>30. What is the character's favorite food? Favorite non-alcoholic drink? Favorite alcoholic drink?<p>
    <li>31. What is the character's favorite holodeck/holosuite program? Do they play sports like kayaking, mountain climbing, or springball, play through famous novels and books like "The Big Goodbye", practice their phaser marksmanship or bat'leth training, play through "seedier" fantasies like "Vulcan Love Slave II", enter a Las Vegas nightclub circa Earth's 1960s, re-enact famous battles from Earth's history like the Alamo or the battle of Thermopylae, or what?<p>
    <li>32. What is the character's current marital status? Are they seeing anyone (else)? What kind of S.O. do they prefer? Are there any children?<p>
    <li>33. Does the character have any pets? What species -- Earth cat, Klingon targ, or what? How did they get the pet? What is its name? What did they name their pet? How does it act? Have they ever had any other pet(s), and if so, what kind?<p>
    <li>34. What is the character's favorite weapon or combat style (if any)? Sure, compressed phaser rifles are nice, but maybe they prefer hand-to-hand combat (such as a student of Klingon mok'bara), or a melee weapon style (such as Andorian chaka hramdal).<p>
    <li>35. What planets has the character visited? Which did they particularly like, and why (name at least three, if applicable)? Which did they particularly dislike, and why? Does the character own any property on any planet? Is it developed to any degree? <p>
    <li>36. If the character had to leave their current occupation tomorrow, what would they do for a living instead? Where would they go, and why?<p>
    <li>37. Does the character play any games in their spare time, like poker, tongo, 3-d chess, Wadi chula, darts, or what?<p>
    <li>38. How does the character dress on their "days off" or when "off duty" (other than visiting the holodeck)? Do they read old Earth classics, study alien philosophy, go to the observation deck with their S.O., volunteer to help orphans, scheme to make money, or what?<p>
    <li>39. What is the character's favorite non-weapon piece of equipment for use on "away team" missions? Sure, a lot can be done with a tricorder, but some characters might prefer the thrill of jet boots, the versatility of an engineering kit, or the safety of armor (such as Klingons, Cardassians, and Jem'Hadar wear).<p>
    <li>40. What plans does the character have for self-improvement, or, put another way, what are you going to spend Development Picks on to improve this character? More Edges, buy off certain Flaws, add Professional Abilities, etc.?<p>
    <li>41. What Flaws might this character develop in the future? How might one Flaw change into another, such as a Rival becoming a full-blown enemy? Might any Flaws get worse, such as an extant Enemy becoming more powerful?<p>
    <li>How does the character feel about (or, what could justify) ...
    <ul>
    <li>42. Lying/Dishonesty (is the character purely honest, mostly forthright, a little shady, or an outrageous liar)?<p>
    <li>43. Theft/Embezzlement (is the character a "hands-off" type, or do they pocket small things on occasion, or would they make off with lots of others' stuff if they could)?<p>
    <li>44. Bureaucracy and paperwork (does the character love "red tape" and "paper trails", hide behind bureacracy when convenient, or hate and avoid needless paperwork whenever possible)?<p>
    <li>45. Collateral damage (deaths of innocents for a "greater good" -- i.e. the Vulcan aphorism "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one")?<p>
    <li>46. Sacrifice (willingly giving up one's life for another, or asking for volunteers for an obvious suicide mission)?<p>
    <li>47. Treachery and betrayal (would the character betray someone's career, or their life, for noble aims, or even for ignoble ones)?<p>
    <li>48. Dogmatic religion (is the character an agnostic or atheist, do they have a curiosity about religions in general, or do they follow a given religion, like the Bajoran faith in the Prophets/wormhole aliens)?<p>
    <li>49. Has the character ever faced reprimands or disciplinary action from their employers/(para-)military organization for their behavior? For behavior they did NOT do? If either is true, what punishment did they face? How does the character feel about it?<p>
    <li>50. Has the character ever received commendations, medals, awards, or other forms of acknowledgement from their employers/(para-)military organization for outstanding service? How does the character feel about it?
    </ul>
    </ul>

Part of what the questionnaire tries to establish is, what does the character feel strongly about? Because (to oversimplify), space opera (like Star Trek) = (drama) + (sci fi tropes).

Nice, shorter than mine - but then I've never seen one of mine completed either...
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Nice, shorter than mine - but then I've never seen one of mine completed either...
    Okay. You got my interest, I think that Scorpion's was quite long. Could you post yours as well?

Interesting list- more info than I usually require. Of course, since I use a system which determines many of these things during character development, those ones are already a given.

I would like to point out, though that in one of your questions (no. 48) you've actually predetermined an answer by using a preface which amounts to a negative value judgement from the get-go... i.e. "Dogmatic Religion." The question would be more open just to state it as "Religion" (or "Formal Religion" or "Organised Religion," if I'm correct in what you're getting at), and let the player decide if the character considers organised religion to be dogmatic.

The questions I generally require are:<dl>
    <dt>Full name (nicknames optional)
    <dt>Species
    <dt>Homeworld
    <dt>Physical description:
    <dd>Height and Mass
    <dd>Hair, Eye Colour and Complexion (hair style optional)
    <dd>Distinctive Characteristics (scars, tattoos, freckles, et cetera)
    <dd>Jewelery or Distinctive Garments (Academy ring, Bajoran earring, Sikh turban, yarmulke, et cetera)
    <dt>Patrons, Contacts, Rivals, Allies (as determined by Advantages/Disadvantages)
    <dt>Medical problems (as determined by Advantages/Disadvantages)</dl>
    Optional info I like to know, even if not specified during character generation include family members, personal tastes, and so on. Most of these I allow the player to establish gradually as play goes on.
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 09-04-2006 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    you've actually predetermined an answer by using a preface which amounts to a negative value judgement from the get-go... i.e. "Dogmatic Religion." The question would be more open just to state it as "Religion" (or "Formal Religion" or "Organised Religion," if I'm correct in what you're getting at), and let the player decide if the character considers organised religion to be dogmatic.
    I disagree that I've automatically predetermined the answer. On reflection, I agree that "organized religion" has fewer negative connotations than "dogmatic religion", but my players that enjoy playing religious characters would hardly blink at such a distinction.

Your wording is, on the whole, better, though, and I will change future editions of my questionnaire accordingly. Thanks for the input!

I like to have such a good, long list of questions because our group plays many different RPGs off and on, some of which (D&D) focus more on killing stuff than on roleplaying and drama.

All are roleplayers, mind you, it's just intended to help them make a truly three- and four-dimensional character, one I can really tortu -- I mean, write adventures for.

This was used to help players get a better grip on their characters and to give the GM (me) some understanding on what to expect in game. I never required it really.

Basic Information
    1) Name:
    2) Rank:
    3) Species:

General Appearance
    4) Gender:
    5) Date of birth:
    6) Height:
    7) Weight:
    8) Nationality (adds cultural flavor):
    9) Hair color:
    10) Eye color:
    11) What type of clothes does the character wear normally:
    12) Does the character have any distinguishing features? Scars? Tattoos? Glasses:
    13) What might somebody seeing the character for the first time think:
    14) What distinguishing features or habits does he/she have:
    15) Does your character have any reoccurring mannerisms or habits:

Family History
    16) Does he/she have any close family:
    17) What is her/his relationship with her parents:
    18) Who are her parents:
    19) Does he/she have any brothers or sisters:

Personal History
    20) Describe her past history:
    21) What is her most embarrassing moment:
    22) Does your character have any nicknames:
    23) Why did he/she join Starfleet:
    24) Occupation(s) before Starfleet:
    25) Has your character killed before? Describe the event:
    26) How many tours of duty has your character had? Describe them:
    27) Greatest success mission(s)? Describe:
    28) Most infamous failure mission? Describe:
    29) What branch of Starfleet has the character chosen and why:
    30) What is the most significant event of her life so far? Describe:

Personality Profile
    31) What are her views on drugs:
    32) What are her views on sex:
    33) Does he/she have any particular prejudices:
    34) What is her/his typical demeanor:
    35) What is the most important thing in the universe to him/her:
    36) Name three personality quirks your character has:
    37) Personality (fun loving? pessimist? etc...):
    38) What is your characters favorite season/weather:
    39) What concepts does he/she deem important enough to fight for:
    40) How far would he/she go to defend what he/she believes in:
    41) How does he/she feel about various species and/or powers:
    a. Federation:
    b. Humans:
    c. Andorians:
    d. Tellerites:
    e. Vulcans:
    f. Klingon Empire:
    g. Romulan Empire:
    h. Cardassian Union:
    j. Other:
    42) What would enrage him/her:
    43) What are her tastes and preferences:
    44) Describe her personality:
    45) Which historical figures does he/she admire and why:
    46) What does he/she consider the most significant invention since Warp-drive:
    47) What does he/she consider to be the greatest threat to the Federation:

Hobbies, Interests, etc.
    48) What is your character’s favorite color:
    49) What type of music does he/she listen to:
    50) What are her hobbies:
    51) Does he/she play sports:
    52) What are her favorite hobbies when off-duty:
    53) Which Holo-deck programs does he/she enjoy? Make a list:
    54) What does the character's home, if any, look like:

Social Interaction
    55) Was he/she ever in love:
    56) Is he/she still around and in the character's life:
    57) List the 3 most important people in your character’s life:
    58) Love interest(s) at the Academy:
    59) Close friends at the Academy? During tours of duty:
    60) Enemies at the Academy? During tours of duty:
    61) Which people did he/she know during her childhood:
    62) Which people did he/she know at Starfleet Academy:
    63) Which people did he/she know at previous postings:
    64) Who would he/she consider to be a close friend, and why:
    65) Is he/she in a romantic relationship now? If no, why not:
    66) What would a friend have to do to end their friendship:
    67) What would he/she do to help a friend in need, and how far would he/she go:

Goals
    68) Name one long range goal of the character:
    69) Name one immediate goal of the character:
    70) What are her short term plans (in the near future):
    71) What are her long term plans (over the course of her life):
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

@Phoenix:

Wow :-)

Cool!

The questionnaire I posted above is actually a condensed version of another questionnaire I use for most RPGs., which is actually 100 questions long. I discovered, though, that that questionnaire had many questions that weren't really pertinent to the Star Trek universe, or at least not to Starfleet personnel (such as about how the character saves or spends money).

If folks want, I can post that one here as well..

The best questionnaire I know of is the one in the Amber RPG, which posits many kinds of difficult, morally ambiguous, and stressful situations, and asks for the character's preferred reaction. Difficult questions such as yours, Phoenix: Has your character ever killed ...

Perhaps another good one would be, have members of your organization (such as Starfleet) died as a result of your orders? Your deliberate actions, or your inaction? What were the circumstances? This was an important plot point for Deanna Troi achieving her Bridge Officer Certification, after all.

Man, this is waaaaay too long.

I'd require two questions:

What do you want?
    What are you afraid of?

The rest of the character will come out in actual play...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Man, this is waaaaay too long.

I'd require two questions:

What do you want?
    What are you afraid of?

The rest of the character will come out in actual play...
    Even if you don't require the PCs to answer the questionnaire, I also use the questionnaire for important NPCs. After all, the less random information you have to make up "on the fly", the easier your job ...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Even if you don't require the PCs to answer the questionnaire, I also use the questionnaire for important NPCs. After all, the less random information you have to make up "on the fly", the easier your job ...
    I can see it being useful for recording information that comes up in game, but I'm not sure if you should fill it all in beforehand. I guess it depends on your play-style; people who prefer minimal prep and a more spontaineous set of individual details might want to arrange it into a bunch of simple categories for recording important info. If you want everything sitting in front of you before you start, it'd give you a reference point for most things that'd come up...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I ask people:

What position do you want on the ship?

What kind of challenges do you want your character to face?

Give me a rough one page bio with some situational , and relationship hooks, and a character sheet, using the LUG TOS templates, and 1, 2 or 3 tours, depending on final rank. And I use the Starfleet Academy Archetypes for Aspect and Focus.

Setting the rest in stone does not allow for character growth, revelations from the past, nor freedom to shape the future.

Drama is about conflict and change. Most of it will come out in the RP sessions, if you got a decent player.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM
    Setting the rest in stone does not allow for character growth, revelations from the past, nor freedom to shape the future.
    It seems you're awfully close to saying that, using questionnaires is bad, or useless, Narrator technique.

I could just as easily say that if you don't use questionnaires, you're a bad Narrator. I don't believe this, though; it's just a matter of style.

This technique works very well, better than playing questionnaire-less, for me and my gaming group. Plus, Phoenix and Owen have both posted questionnaires (one shorter, one WAY longer) that they use.

I posted my own homebrew questionnaire hoping someone would find a use for it. It appears that this was a vain hope, though ; everyone already has one they like, or doesn't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    It seems you're awfully close to saying that, using questionnaires is bad, or useless, Narrator technique.
    "The map is not your friend."

Hm. Something occurred to me: what if, instead of answering all the questions, the players chose the five or so questions that interested them to answer, or the five questions for which they had cool answers. So, one character would talk about his love life, another his technical expertise and what he knows how to pilot, another his opinions on differing cultures.

The immediate practical upside to that is seeing what people choose to answer will tell you about the game they want to play, what kind of stuff they want to do or affect with the character.