Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are the Tzenkethi?

Question Who are the Tzenkethi?

I read some times that Sisko is a veteran of the Tzenkethi War and I wonder now if anybody has some information about them, their ships and their appearance? Would be nice if you can tell me something about them.

------------------
    "I am a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread." - Cpt. Kirk, Star Trek VI

www.farrealms.de

On the downside.

Nobody knows. They never appeared (to the best of our knowledge) and so no canon information past their existance, the war, and that relations are still strained is known.

Of course there is a group of people that connect the Kzinn to the Tzenkethi.

On the plus side.

This all means you can make it all up as you go along... A whole new species with which to explore motivations and relations...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Hey thanks, sounds good, but who are the Kzinn?

------------------
    "I am a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread." - Cpt. Kirk, Star Trek VI

www.farrealms.de

There was some discussion on these boards some time ago that suggested the Tzenkethi were a splinter group of Andorians. The basis of this was that Keth is the Andorian word for clan, and I think there was a word like Zen in the book Among the Clans as well.

The Kzin are from Larry Niven's Man Kzin Wars books. I'm not sure how many of them there are now, eight plus some short stories, I think. I gave up a long time ago on them.

The Kzin are basically humanoid lions. They are aggressive and impulsive, but honorable.

Larry wrote a couple of episodes of TAS (the Animated Series) which featured the Kzin, bringing them into Star Trek. IIRC, they were in the FASA Trek game as an enemy race, but then, thanks to copyright issues amongst other things, the whole of TAS was jettisoned from Canon (including the Caitians and the Edoans).

In my explorations of the web, Tzenkethi is usually used for the Next Gen version of the Kzin, although there is nothing Canon about that at all.

An aggressive Andorian offshoot, from one of those missing sleeper ships, fulfilling a campaign role like the Romulans are to Vulcans, could be interesting.

Alex

The Kzinti were also in the Prime Directive RPG which uses elements from Trek but is not allowed to call itself Trek. Prime Directive is associated with Starfleet Battles, which is the basis for the Starfleet Command computer games, which do call themselves Trek.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

But the Tzenkathi are out Bajor way.

If they are TNG's answer for Kzin then they went on one hell of a migration

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

But Sig, without cannon reference as to who/what is located where...and if I remember the episode correctly, the Defiant was travling at max warp for quite some time...given the writers "strict adhearance" to some thing close to "continuity"...the Tzenkathi could be located anyplace in the Alpha/Beta area

------------------
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    -Napoleon

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phoenix:
    But Sig, without cannon reference as to who/what is located where...and if I remember the episode correctly, the Defiant was travling at max warp for quite some time...given the writers "strict adhearance" to some thing close to "continuity"...the Tzenkathi could be located anyplace in the Alpha/Beta area

</font>
    Yes but the subtle hints is all we have to go on. Somewhere in and around Bajoran space, most likely to the 'north'. Akin with what is said in the DS9 core book.

I for one will be putting the Tzenkathi in that area in my maps

------------------
    SIRSIG

By "north," I assume you mean coreward. This is the direction of Ferengenar. Unfortunately, First Contact was only made with the Ferengi 14 years ago (not counting the encounter at Maxia Zeta, in which no communication took place and the Ferengi remained unidentified). That's only 3 years before Wolf 359, when Sisko was XO of the Saratoga. That reasonably puts the Tzenkethi War at or before the time of official First Contact with the Ferengi. I'm not convinced that the federation could have fought a war in the area without running into the Ferengi. For those reasons, I'd place the Tzenkethi rimward of the Cardassians, either to zenith or nadir of the Cardassian/Klingon border, or beyond...

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Owen E Oulton:
    By "north," I assume you mean coreward. This is the direction of Ferengenar. Unfortunately, First Contact was only made with the Ferengi 14 years ago (not counting the encounter at Maxia Zeta, in which no communication took place and the Ferengi remained unidentified). That's only 3 years before Wolf 359, when Sisko was XO of the Saratoga. That reasonably puts the Tzenkethi War at or before the time of official First Contact with the Ferengi. I'm not convinced that the federation could have fought a war in the area without running into the Ferengi. For those reasons, I'd place the Tzenkethi rimward of the Cardassians, either to zenith or nadir of the Cardassian/Klingon border, or beyond...

</font>
    Good points Owen!

Although yes I meant coreward but many people here still don't have core/spin/rim/antispin (cant remember the short name) down pat yet.

Thus the compass points or the clockface analogies are more acceptable to most members.

Specifically rimward/antispin of Bajor for the Tzenkathi. Thus an acceptable amount of space 'infront' of Ferengi space.

Still rimward may be a workable location as well. Time and mapmaking will tell

------------------
    SIRSIG

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Owen E Oulton:
    either to zenith or nadir of the Cardassian/Klingon border, or beyond...

</font>
    The Cardassians and Klingons share a border? How is that? In all the LUG maps there is no
    such border. There is only a border with the Romulans, the Naussicaans and the UFP.
    If there are the Cardassians "below" the Klingons how were they able to contact the Breen to form the Alliance. They would have to fly around one of the other super-powers

------------------

www.farrealms.de

It was established in DS9 Season 4 that the Klingons and Cardassians have at least some contiguous space.

------------------

I have to admit to being of the camp that puts Klingons at about 4-5 o'clock direction (using the clockface analagy) from Sol, and putting Cardassian space at about 9-10 o'clock... (all approximatly)

This would give both a huge amount of space...

I always thought the Klingon territory referred two in season 4 was 'claimed' territory formerly part of the Cardassian Union prior to the Klingon invasion in 'Way of the Warrior'.

But if someone has a convincing arguement, I'll listen...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"