Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Rpg

OK, as my schedual frees itself us soon (layoffs at the plant I'm working at), I'll start working on my Antican. But some questions first:
    So I'm looking at around 4 advancements, right? Cool!

Uhm, Since I'm not just a 'glorified security guard', but actually incharge of our ships weapons, I'm thinking of using the "Tactical officer" skill path thing, rather than the "Basic Security" or "Investigator".

OK, still most likely going to use Athletics (hunting) background. But I started thinking: How do Anticans hunt? Phasers? Some kind of Slug-throwing rifle? Bows arrows? Spears? They have claws and teeth, so do they do it 'au naturale'?

I guess since I'm the first person I know of to ever deal in Antican Culture, that I get to make it up. But any input from the group would be great. (ok, maybe I'm just fishing for an excuse to give my Antican a gauss quad-barrled Shotgun )

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    In charge of the ship's weapons is probably an ancillary duty, as the ship isn't supposed to get into scrapes (insert Jayne: "Yeah, well what you plan and what happens ain't exactly been similar."), so you can keep your security focus, Tricky., if you want.

On the hunting, I suppose it depends on how much "tradition" remains in Antican hunting. Are they like humans, who hunt for "sport" and continue to modernize their weaponry to get a "cleaner" kill? Or, like my Caitians, is the hunt an almost-religious experience, only attempted with traditional weapons (or no weapons at all).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I was looking through my ship posts, and found this beauty. Here's the PC's ship! Now, we need a name...

C-5-class Specifications

Production Data
    Origin: Marchenti Shipping Corporation (UFP)
    Class and Type: C-5-class Fleet Freighter
    Year Launched: 2363

Hull Data
    Structure: 30
    Size/Decks: 5/10 decks
    Length/Beam/Height: 170/100/50 meters
    Complement: 30

Operational Data
    Transporters: 6 standard, 6 cargo, 6 emergency
    Cargo Units: 200 (in 20 modular sections)
    Shuttlebay: 1 aft
    Shuttlecraft: 5 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1F, 1V, 1A
    Separations/Atmospheric Systems: no/yes
    Sensor System: Class 2 (+2/C)
    Operations System: Class 5 (F)
    Life Support System: Class 2 (C)

Propulsion Data
    Impulse System: FIB-3 (.75c) (D)
    Warp System: LF-12 (wf 5/7/9) (D)

Tactical Data
    Phaser Banks: Type VIII (x2/B)
    Penetration: 4/4/4/0/0
    Photon Torpedoes: Mk 40 DF (B)
    Penetration: 3/3/3/3/3
    Deflector Shields: CIDSS-3 (C)
    Protection/Threshold: 15/3

Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers: 0C, +3H, -1T
    Traits: none

The C-5-class of fleet freighter was built to replace the aging fleet of C-4s, which was first launched in 2327. Using the latest in Federation cargo-handling technology, the C-5 is cheap to produce and maintain.

The hull resembles the top-half of a cigar, with cargo mountings connecting 20 modules to the flat ventral side. Each module is capable of interconnecting lengthwise with adjacent modules for large or awkwardly shaped cargoes.

The C-5 completely replaced the C-4 by 2371, and expects to be the mainstay of the Marchenti fleet through the end of the century.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

How about The Havana? And paint it brown on the exterior?

How about the President Abraham Lincoln (being operated by the company that is the predecessor of APL)? Her nickname being . . . the Lincoln Log

How about The Golden Bear? It can operate with a charter from the State of California, and could be registered out of Vallejo, CA.

How about the Spirit of San Jacinto . . . with a HUGE Texas flag painted on the side?

How about the Memory of Humphrey?

How about Gilligan?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    How about The Havana? And paint it brown on the exterior?

How about the President Abraham Lincoln (being operated by the company that is the predecessor of APL)? Her nickname being . . . the Lincoln Log

How about The Golden Bear? It can operate with a charter from the State of California, and could be registered out of Vallejo, CA.

How about the Spirit of San Jacinto . . . with a HUGE Texas flag painted on the side?

How about the Memory of Humphrey?

How about Gilligan?

Maybe the Roger C. Carmel?
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

What about something more ship like. Don't have anything on my mind...

What about "The Pearl"?!

Well, it would be bad to name out ship "The Edmund Fitizgerald", so I'm not going to suggest it.

Was wondering if we would have any special subordinate craft; we have 5 size worth of shuttle space; any chance for a runabout or maybe a Talon (that was the scout-ish craft Data flew in Insurrection, right?).

In regards to my character and his hunting, my brother brought up a valid point: we know alot of people who are very into hunting (like, take a day or two off of work and pull your kids out of school for the first day of deer season), but some of them are bow hunters and some are gun hunters.

So, who's to say that the Antican's don't have clans that use different types of equipment: some use phasers, others bows, etc.

as you can see, still thinking.

Oh, another question: Are we sailing together for the first time, or have we (at least some of us) been together for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    Oh, another question: Are we sailing together for the first time, or have we (at least some of us) been together for a while?
    It takes a while to get out to the far edge of CU space . . . therefore, even if it was our first time aboard ship together, we would have been together for atleast a month, maybe even three. And most crewing contracts are anywhere from 1-4 months . . . with renewal an option. Otherwise the merchant marine can be dropped of at the nearest major port, and provided passage back to their point of origin by the company that has been hired to do the manning. Or so my cousin, who is a merchant marine, tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky
    Was wondering if we would have any special subordinate craft; we have 5 size worth of shuttle space; any chance for a runabout or maybe a Talon (that was the scout-ish craft Data flew in Insurrection, right?).
    Well we only have 5 size worth of vessels to work with, and even the largest tankers in the world have small craft, but nothing near militant. If anything they may have a one sub-machine guns (if at all), a dozen shotguns, and a handgun for every member of the crew that are small arms qualified in their weapons locker.

Furthermore, the vessels are more likely to be used for ferrying sensitive cargo that can't handle the transporter . . . so a Type 8 or 7 shuttle are likely . . . and a runabout woes center and rear compartment have been designed for maximum cargo holding . . . the closest thing for crew quarters would be a couple hanging cots that can fold out of the way, and a full functioning head.

Quote Originally Posted by cut
    What about "The Pearl"?!
    Hasn't that been done already?

If we are going with that . . . why not other fine stones like the jade, or the Latinum . . .

. . . or to go for something campy . . . the "Champagne Dream"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Roger C. Carmel
    After the actor who played as one of the most notorious Merchants in Star Trek lore . . . what a great inside joke!

. . . or How about the Dawn Treader

. . . or How about the Pacific Clipper

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Well, lets see...we have a large, hairy alien that might act violently when threatened. If our captain or first officer was sufficently 'scoundrelish' we could be the...

(wait for it)

Latinum Eagle!!!! hahahaha

How about the Latinum Washington?

How about Charles Pratt, the first US Merchant ship sunk during WWII?

Another thought: I would assume that my security/tactical officer would need the command edge, but what about promotions? I'm thinking that I'm something like a Lt., so that would be like Promotion 2, right?

Or should I focus my picks elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    Another thought: I would assume that my security/tactical officer would need the command edge, but what about promotions? I'm thinking that I'm something like a Lt., so that would be like Promotion 2, right?

Or should I focus my picks elsewhere?
    Well, your position will allow you to be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th Officer, so you can choose. 2nd Officer (equivalent to lieutenant) is Promotion 2, 3rd Officer (equivalent to lieutenant, j.g.) is Promotion 1.

Okay, so, to follow up with choices, we have:

JALU3: Gorn 2nd assistant engineer (rank of 3rd Officer)
    Cut: Romulan first officer (rank of Chief Officer), also fills helm or nav position
    C5: Chief Engineer of a unknown/little used race (rank of Chief Officer)
    Cpt Lundgren: Human helm or nav officer (either Starfleet Lieutenant or 2nd Officer)
    Tricky: Antican security officer (rank of 2nd, 3rd or 4th Officer)

Is that correct for everyone?
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Cut: Romulan first officer (rank of Chief Officer), also fills helm or nav position
    Is that correct for everyone?
    Perfectly for me. Valak will be piloting the ship

Ok for me as well, except that my character isn't necessarily Chief Engineer... could be 1st Assistant too.

My PC's species writeup is almost complete... in my head. I'll try to get it written for the end of the week and post it here for approval (and comments).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I've got my Antican at first level right now; planing on doing the advancement to 2nd officer soon, despite not really figureing out his ranged weapon thing (i gave him Ranged weapon and armed combat, figuring at like in most hunting/military cultures, use of a knife is one of the early combat skills, and I could give him a specialty to the ranged when/if I made up my mind.)

Just a thought I had as I looked over the Trek character stats at the end of the Narrator's guide. With 8 Advancements, our captain is one advancement short of Harry Kim. But as FMM, and not SF, I guess that would be expected.

I hope we end up fighting the Cardy and Jem'hadar MM then...hahaha!!