Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Rpg

Forum Rpg

Do you think it would be possible for us to host a ST:RPG game here on the boards? Who would be willing to GM? Who would be willing to play?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Such games have been started more than once (I recall at least 3 or 4 different games), but there seems to be a curse on them, as they always stop after a (short) while, be it from lack of players or motivation from the GM... But hey, sometime we might eventually succeed!
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I have been playing (was it playing already?!) in one myself and liked the idea very much and was quite sad when the game went away...

I'd be interested in playing in one, but do not have enough time to GM myself.

On another note I want to add, that I would like it to be a very classic Trek style approach, not too military in style and probably set in the TNG-DS9 timeframe or shortly there after, based on mystery, exploration and stuff the like.

So in the Gamma quadrant or far CU it is!

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    So in the Gamma quadrant or far CU it is!
    I don't seem to have woken up properly today (where is that caffeine anyway) but could you write out CU for me please

Could that be Cardassian Union ? I must admit I'm at a loss as well (and equally lacking sleep)
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

[moderator]Move to Gaming Hub as it is more appropriate there.[/moderator]
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by C5
    Could that be Cardassian Union ? I must admit I'm at a loss as well (and equally lacking sleep)
    Cardassian Union sounds...well...possible. I BTW have decided to take a nap now. Good night to you C5 as well whenever you get your batch of sleep

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I'd be interested, too, if we're playing Coda.

You all know I'm a 23rd-Century guy, and would prefer something in the 2260-2290 timeframe.

I couldn't do something in the Delta or Gamma quadrant...maybe a post-war Starfleet crew in Cardassian space (rebuilding, exploring the far side, etc.) would be palatable.

I don't know if I'd have the time to run a game, and, if I do, I would lean more heavily toward a 23rd-Century classic campaign. So, you folks may not want to let me Narrate.
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 09-13-2006 at 01:47 PM.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

RE: Indication of Interest

Well, it may not mean much - as some of the people above have indicated, these games tend to die quickly - but I am certainly interested in playing in such a game (admittedly, despite my utter lack of experience in play by post). My ideal preference is similar to Sea Tyger's - a TOS era game, preferably set during the 2260's - but I'm generally willing to consider most anything as plausible.

-Tor

I've never done TOS before . . . or TMP . . . but that doesn't mean that I am not willing to try. I only on ICON . . . but if someone is willing to convert a character . . . I would be more then happy to play.

If I was to GM . . . I would lean towards DS9/TNG era only because I know it better.

I am itching to play . . . and the ONLY other RPGer that I know here in San Diego, has moved 45 minutes away . . . OK, that's a lie, I know others . . . but they don't roleplay . . . they rush into battle blindly, barbarian everything, and slash and hack . . . OK if you want to be a raging Klingon . . . bad for everything else.

For a city of over 1.3 million . . . the picks are so thin.

Thus I come here, to people who, although I have only RPGed with a small number of you all, I respect as players, and people (even if I disagree with someone of you sometime).

So I am itching to play . . . and why not here.

I'd be glad to play as well. My favourite era is TNG and onward, but I can adapt.
    Oh and... this time, I'd try to avoid the "I'm here people, gonna post right now, let me some time" behaviour I had during the last few forum games I was in...
    Terry Pratchett

Just to toss in some ideas, that might improve the survivability of a game...

1. Having at least one assisting GM/Narrator/whatyawannacallait. If one or two players get bogged down with RL stuff, it is always possible to steer around it. But an assisting GM could jump in when the main GM doesn't have time to hammer out the prose.

2. I guess there is more than one member, besides me, that won't have time to be a full part member of the game. But the possibility to play a support cast for a short while would be fun. Sort of a player controlled NPC.

Oh, and keeping the OOC text in a separate thread will make it much more enjoyable to read.

I'd be willing to sub as a GM . . . however, of all the active people here, I am probably one of the least experienced. But I guess you don't gain it without putting yourself out there and trying.

But like most people, I would much prefer to play, rather then host. But if the host needs a break, I can always take a swing at a couple throws. Who knows . . . I might actually get a run in.

Yeah, I guess it's fall; time for us all to try it again.
    Some of the suggestions Capt. Lungren made are really good ideas:

Of the 2 games I was part of, both died mostly because the Narrator was swamped by real life stuff, and didn't have time for the game. A secondary, or maybe a couple of narrators would help; maybe they could divide up the duties:
    one could help with characters, one could provide adventure support (research, NPC creation etc), and so for forth.

I might be interested in playing (dont have much RL GM experience), but I would do what I could to keep the game a float.