Thread: Tributes to John Ford

Tributes to John Ford

As most of us probably know from looking at the opening page, one of the most talented and dedicated authors to commit himself to addressing the Trek universe has passed away.

Even after a 20-plus year span, Final Reflection hold the honors for the best Trek novel I've ever had the pleasure of encountering, matched only by - possibly - The Price of the Phoenix. Official version or not, the concept that Mr. Ford created and expanded upon was the defining vision of the Klingons for years to come; even TNG hasn't entirely erased the Klingon concept of the universe as the "great game" from my mind.

How Much for Just the Planet was a wonderful work as well; proof that the Trek concept was strong and flexible enough to take on light-hearted farce and make it sing. Mr. Ford, you will be terribly missed here - but I do get the distinct feeling that some place a little closer to the stars will be much more interesting for your arrival. We will see you again.

Well, damn!

Here I was expecting notification of some TV special about the great Western movie director (although this would be the wrong forum for that, in retrospect), and "Wham!" Right between the eyes. I'm used to actors like Dee Kelley or Jimmy Doohan passing on - age catches up to us all, but John M. "Mike" Ford can't have been much older than I am. I really enjoyed his Trek novels, especially How Much For Just The Planet?, and really liked what he cross-polinated with the FASA RPG. Hell, where it doesn't out-and-out conflict with canon, I still use it as flavour in my campaign.