Thread: Point Check for Character Build(s)

Point Check for Character Build(s)

Hi peeps. I'm still 'getting used to' generating characters in the ICON systerm(s) and was hoping that someone would be kind enough to check over my build(s) to verify whether I've stuck to the 125 DP's for a beginning character. Here's the first (and only ?) one:

Human, Command Officer

Attributes
    Fitness 2
    Coordination 2
    Intellect 2
    Logic +1
    Presence 2
    Willpower +1
    Psi 0

Skills
    Administration (Starship Administration) 2 (3)
    (Logistics)
    Athletics (Climbing) 2 (3)
    (Zero-G Polo)
    Command (Combat Leadership) 2 (3)
    (Military Training)
    (Starship Command)
    Computer (Research) 1 (2)
    Culture (Human) 2 (3)
    Dodge 1
    Energy Weapon (Phaser) 1 (3)
    Gaming (Three Dimensional Chess) 1 (2)
    History (Human) 1 (2)
    (Federation)
    Language
    Federation Standard 3
    Law (Starfleet Regulations) 2 (3)
    Personal Equipment (Tricorder) 1 (2)
    Planetary Tactics (Small Unit) 1 (2)
    Planetside Survival (Forest) 1 (2)
    Shipboard Systems (Flight Control) 1 (2)
    Space Sciences (Astrogtaion) 1 (2)
    (Astrophysics)
    Starship Tactics (Borg) 2 (3)
    (Cardassian)
    (Planetary Support)
    Vehicle Operations (Shuttlecraft) 1 (2)
    World Knowledge (Earth) 1 (2)

Courage Points 5

Advantages
    Bold +1
    Department Head +1 (First Officer)
    Innovative +1
    Promotion +3 (Lieutenant)
    Renown +3 (Skill)

Disadvantages
    Expatriate -1 (Family)
    Guilt -1 (Failure to save shipmates)
    Intolerant -1 (Ferengi)
    Vengeful -1 (Borg)

Unless I'm mistaken I think this character costs either 127 or 129 DP's. Is that correct?
    Last edited by Silverback; 10-11-2006 at 10:02 AM.

I only get a count of 124, but that may be a mistake on my side. However there are some things wrong with that character at least according to rules, it may be an intentional diversion, though.

1. Planetside Survival has no rating - if I interpret your writing correctly the character only posseses the Specialization of Forest. While you create characters from scratch without using the overlays, I strongly suggest to have the same ratings in the important skills. An officer should be able to survive on a planet for a certain amount of time - yours would only be able to on a forest planet with luck. Especially as a XO, this is not enough, I think. In an emergency the rest of the crew looks for his advice.

2. There is no Promotion +2 ( Lieutenant ). Its either Promotion +3 or Promotion +4, depending on the way you count and on your rulebook. ( The Player's Guide makes it +4 ).

3. Department Head +1, only suffices for very small ships, e.g. Nova or Oberth-Class and Lieutenant would be the minimum rank for XO on those ships only. Anything bigger would at least need a Lt. Cmdr ( comparable to Voyager, e.g. ).

4. It would be very unlikely that this character would become an XO of a starship - he simply is too bad in skills. I don't see any skill beyond basic rating, some even don't have that ( comparing to the overlay ), so he barely achieves values from officers after the Academy training. Additionally he not even has "Starship" as a Specialization in Command, making his expertise more in ground battles than on a starship. While this can be on purpose, the term "First Officer" is only used on starships, so if he is in fact a ground-based character, I would change that.
    Additionally I would give him an edge in at least one attribute ( not edge as in "rulebook edge" but as in make him noteworthy over other characters ). Most probably this should be Intellect or Presence, something which makes superiors say "This is leadership material".
    And I think he needs one skill where he excells as well. Either give him a skill rating of 3 in a typical command skill, like "Command, Starship Tactics,... " or give him a rating of 2 in a non departmental skill, probably some Science ( addtionaly, not the one you get anyway ) or Engineering skill. Something that makes him necessary for the job and inexchangable among the officers onboard your ship. If it is a prototype that is involved, give him an Engineering skill. If it is a Science Mission, make it a Science skill or if it is a military one give him the "Strategic Ops" skill.
    As it is now he is as good as any other Command officer from the Academy. There would be, imho, no reason at all for Admiralty to get any attention of him.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Planetside Survival (Forest) should've been 1 (2) which I've now corrected.

The character does have Command (Starship Command) you must've overlooked it.

The vessel the group are serving on is a Nova II class starship and, with the loss of so many Starfleet officers at the Battle of Wolf 359, is why I've allowed the character the opportunity to become a First Officer on the vessel. The character himself is one of the survivors of that particular conflict with the Borg.

I'll allow an 'extra' Development Point to bump him to the rank of Lieutenant. Which I've added to the above post.

4. It would be very unlikely that this character would become an XO of a starship - he simply is too bad in skills. I don't see any skill beyond basic rating, some even don't have that ( comparing to the overlay ), so he barely achieves values from officers after the Academy training. Additionally he not even has "Starship" as a Specialization in Command, making his expertise more in ground battles than on a starship.
    I agree with Evan van Eyk, the Character seems to be more suited for a ground based posting. He also has no attribute above 2, this does not attributes to him being particularly gifted. His edges in logic and willpower don't make a real difference as well.
    He is particularly lacking in intellect, one of the most important attributes in ICON, IMHO he should improve that attribute.

Just my 2 cents but it seems that for being first officer he should have more experience, than what is presented here.
    As he is going to be the XO aboard a nova class, introduced in the early 2370's you could add famous incident (Battle of Wolf 359) (and a promotion along with it) and at least two other tours of duty (Depending on the time frame).

You might just consider to look at the advanced Training programs presented in the players handbook if you ave this particular gem available