Thread: Non Starfleet series

Question Non Starfleet series

Has anyone ever played a series not focused on Starfleet or the Federation
    like an all Klingon or an all Romulan/Cardassian series.

If so what were your experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto
    Has anyone ever played a series not focused on Starfleet or the Federation
    like an all Klingon or an all Romulan/Cardassian series.

If so what were your experiences?
    Using the FASA system, I have been in Romulan, Klingon, Traders, and Orions in adition to the traditional Starfleet gig. All were very enjoyable, but the campaign for the Romulans was the most difficult for players and GM as there was so little information to work with.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

I'd think that the LUG Trek Romulan box "The Way of D'Era" should make a Romulan campaign a ery interesting one. I very much enjoy that box even after all those years...

I haven't had to opportunity to run a Star Trek series yet, but I've run a lot of other games and so I have a thought...nosy fellow that I am.

I would imagine that a non-Starfleet campaign might allow players to successfully fulfill two needs that show up in all sorts of RPGs:
    --Non-Starfleet campaigns would allow players to portray non-humans in a storyline that's more suited to them. An all Romulan or Klingon campaign would allow of a group-wide shift in morality, which a lot of players like.
    --A trader series would allow role-players to experience everything weird, and possibly debased, that the Star Trek Galaxy has to offer. With no military chain-of-command or hierarchy to appeal to, the ethics and drives of characters can change dramatically while still maintaining a “Star Trek” feel.

There's also the added possibility of playing a series outside of the Alpha and Beta quadrants without needing the piggyback on the <i>Voyager</i> or DS9 plotlines.

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

Maquis

When Dan Gurden's excellent Maquis book came out, I ran a few games set along the DMZ.

Players all created characters linked to a specific colony world. Spent the first game building something up in the community - I think it was a disaster or something that needed to be shored up, next game handed out a prop stating they had due to a new treaty with the Cardassians they were expected to abandon their homes and head back into Federation space.

Was an interesting game.

I was partly inspired by a picture in the trek rpg books of a ship fleeing through an asteroid field with a Sovereign class in pursuit for one game.

Players I had who were complaning about the tech curve in trek usually stop pretty quick when they have a 40 year old ship, and they are on the run from everyone.

At one point, the players were trying to find an old Klingon Bird of Prey to beef up there defenses.

Lots of fun.

Brian K
    Rambling before work

Well i was planning to use the Way of D'era Box for an all Romulan Campaign, but my players declined, citing they wanted to explore being part of Starfleet in every depth possible.

But thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences.

By the way how do players react to the game if they play characters not bound by the prime directive?

citing they wanted to explore being part of Starfleet in every depth possible
    Three words

Officer Exchange Program
    and then you get evil!
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Otto
    By the way how do players react to the game if they play characters not bound by the prime directive?

I'd say, that depends from the situation you confront them with. If you're used to confront them with moral dilemmas every now and then, they might enjoy being given the freedom to act instead of being bound by the prime Directive. It might be an interesting oppurtunity for them (and for some interesting roleplaying).

Three words

Officer Exchange Program
    and then you get evil!

I already have a Klingon Exchange Officer serving as First Officer (And he is more polite and diplomatic than the Vulcan Captain, besides getting in to fits of rage every now and then when he is really pissed off). But most of the time he does everthing by the book.

If you're used to confront them with moral dilemmas every now and then, they might enjoy being given the freedom to act instead of being bound by the prime Directive. It might be an interesting oppurtunity for them (and for some interesting roleplaying).
    Its a staple in my game as i almost always try to build at least a minor moral dilemma in to my episodes. They got used to it by now, almost always trying to navigate the fine lines on the edge of the prime directive.
    (If they fail spectacular i show them some public Information about their (mis-)deeds the next time we play) [I know i'm a sadist sometimes ]