Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Awfully quiet around here

My take on it is that it is the magic in the world that fades, and with that the long livety of the elves. That means that they either leave for the undying lands, finds a focal point where there still is magic, dies, or slowly fades away into spirits.

Just that in the early 4th age chronicle I am sketching on, it isn't natural, but engineered.

fade over time the question would be how long
    the roads goes ever on..... so buy a volvo!

"don't tell the elf"-Gimili at the Hornburg LOTR TTT

What about second breakfast?- Pippin, LOTR FOTR

"My precious"- my treo 700 phone/PDA

he didn't specify length of time nor was even alluded to, just saying that it would happen. I would say that once the last ship left the shores of middle-earth, the way would be shut forever, severing the link of the old power and thus accelerating the decline of any remaining of the elven race. it was for this reason, i created Mordirachas in the last issue - an elf seeking the power, from whatever source he could, to delay or even stay the decline of the power of Elves in Middle-earth.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

Any notion of how long? What are the effects? could there be a re-introduction of "elvish power". So many questions. I saw an article about it in the old MERP mag abut elves in the fourth age. But legolas left in 120 and Celeborn left later to go over the sea... that leaves more questions.

what i could see is that what elves were left in middle-earth would diminish in power greatly in the 4th Age, some big event occurs and they expend the rest of what of them was left in aid of the other Free Peoples, bring about the 5th Age and that would be it -- they'd be gone forever minus the spirits in the wilderness. Of course, this really is up to debate as I think its more fiat of the writer than anything at this point.

I don't think a reintroduction of Elvish power could occur unless direct path from Valinor was established once again to Middle-earth. Realistically, in the vein of what is known, I wouldn't say a reestablishment wouldn't or couldn't occur until the end of the world when Morgoth is freed and there is the ME version of Armageddon.

I agree with your sentiments... moving into another phase .. do you think as the elves diminish that they would lose the beleriand advantage of culture and knowleadge. I could see one change being with the departure of the great ones to the west the repository of knowleadge left in Rivendell being copied and cherished further. I could see loremasters from Thranduil and craftsmen coming to learn the hisotry and or crafts of the eldar years.
    Comments

I think it'd be something like the theories of Atlantis, those of great culture took what knowledge they had and did what they could to pass it along and improve the cultures in which they mingled with. Much knowledge was probably shared with the Reunited Kingdom, though doubtfully others unless they be dwarven loremasters, as too many superstitions prevent intermingling i see with the realms like Rohan and Lothlorien.

An idea of what was left could be that those left in the remaining enclaves gradually found fewer and fewer of their kin left in physical form and those loremasters, antiquarians, craftsmen, and magicians left probably holed themselves up in secluded places, hoarding their knowledge in a sad museum and reminscing the golden days... think hermits kinda like Obi-wan Kenobi, many rumors and tales about them oft turning into legend, rarely being seen, etc.