Thread: Mechanical Ability?

Mechanical Ability?

I've got a number of the core books and supplemental material for LUG Trek but for the life of me I can't find the description for the Advantage Mechanical Ability!
    Last edited by Silverback; 11-05-2006 at 04:08 AM.

Never heard of it.

Sounds like it might be Engineering Aptitude however. Engineering Aptitude grants a character an extra die when making an Engineering Skill Test. Out of TNG corebook, cost 3 DP or 12 Xp.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

It's in the Star Trek TNG Player's Guide listed under Grease Monkey (Early Life History). I'm assuming that it's similar to the Advantage of Mathematical Ability. The Engineering Aptitude sounds like it might be 'it' though.

Treazt it as Engineering Aptitude, but only for mechanical systems - infernal combustion, diesel, steam and other such systems...

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    Treazt it as Engineering Aptitude, but only for mechanical systems - infernal combustion, diesel, steam and other such systems...
    Wouldn't that be Social Sciences (Historical Engineering)? Nott too sure! I'm going to use it as Engineering Aptitude as described in the core book.

I would highly disagree for this to be a social sciences type.

I think it is clearly in the Engineering area.

The "Mechanical Aptitude" advantage more relates to mechanical things, and processes, not to the fact that combustion engines are no longer used.

Now, if somweone were to have studied the history of say, the steam engine, James Watt, Eli Whitney, and other historical figures and thier inventions, sure, that's a history skill. But it won't convey the ability to repair the devices they invented, I think.

On a ship, it would be usefull for things like fixing turbolifts, doors, hatches, door latches, piping, plumbing, etc.

RE: Historical Engineering

I'm not 100 percent sure on this, but as I recall, Social Sciences (Historical Engineering) was a skill that allowed one to predict the effect of historical changes on the timeline, as well as figure out how to counter-act said changes when the timeline has already been changed. Primarily useful for DTI agents, though certainly a potential theoretical skill.

-Tor