Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heroes Theories/Spoliers

I guess I'll be the odd man out, considering the wealth of fan bitching going on right now about Heroes. I think 2nd season is much more focused and is flowing much more smoothly. They are wrapping the current story at ep 11 because of the writer's strike ("Wah! If I don't make more than 50-75k a year I can't take time of to be with my children!" Welcome the work-a-day week of most people. And they make a third what you do. I think they deserve more online/DVD residuals, but do they have to be so damned whiny?)

Showing more about the company, keeping the villains realistic -- with redeeming qualities -- has been a bonus. I still think they have too many characters and that weakens the overall pace of the show (the first season was about 6 episodes too long IMO.)

My preference has turned toward 13 episode seasons. It keeps the story lines tight and strips the filler eps out. It's one f the reasons the F/X shows are so well written, and was one of the reasons S1 Galactica was so good -- do the number of episodes to tell the story.

That said, the writers do an excellent job, however, of weaving the storylines together.

They are currently airing the first season here in Sweden.
    Just watched episode 16, that we taped yesterday. It is still quite all right, but I am not that fond of the old Dallasesque storytelling of not having episodes that can stand on its own.
    In my opinion, that kind of storytelling should be left to mini series. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't have minded if I had the box and could watch the entire season in one weekend

The sad, sad thing is...I have seen like one or two episodes this season, so I'm something of 'outside looking in'-guy.

Writers strike aside (give them hell, Black Campbellq!!), the main complaint is that they are going slow and there are soooo many stories to follow.

They call this the "Lost syndrome", since this is what 'killed' Lost for so many.

But I agree that doing a episode as filler, just to keep the main story going but not adding to it, is a bad idea.....unless you throw us a bone. Move the story ahead, but do it from another character's point of view.

And while they are usually pertty good, maybe they shouldn't use the 'flashback' episode to bring us up to speed with the characters. I know they have a 'temporter', but as Star Trek Fans, we know how much a crutch Time-Travel is: Every Trek series used Time Travel to past eras, and a couple of the movies did, to the point where its just not fun anymore, imho.

The thing I've liked about Heroes is that it still keeps me, a comic geek, guessing. I've got years of Marvel and Image continuity in my head, and they can STILL throw me a curve ball!

I must say I have kept away from fan discussions about Heroes for many reasons, so I was not entirely aware of the bitching going on about season 2 when I said I was disappointed by it.

I tend to like the format of the series. I was more used to episodic series (like Star Trek) where everything is back to normal at the end of the episode with some elements of the overall plot having evolved. I particularly like the fact that they manage to give some answers in every episodes, so that you don't reach the "To be continued" caption with the same questions you had at the beginning of the episode (not to say the anwsers you got didn't get replaced by twice as many questions).

I am not bothered either by the numbers of characters. On the contrary, it allows for a lot of variety in the episodes and is a sort of guarantee that you won't get bored much if one particular storyline doesn't work for you, as it won't take much time in the episode.
    And I must say so far that I have not found one character I completely disliked, with one big exception (in the spoiler, for those who have not seen season 2 or the end of season 1)

Sylar. He was quite fine and complex in the episode with his mother, but now he has turned into a guy who seems to be defined by a single word : Evil. No redeeming qualities, no explanations as to his behaviour apart from being The Bad Guy. He even starts to gloat over his plans, like villains in 60's comics (though he's a bit more intelligent and chooses an audience who can't actually understand him)

But I really loved season 1. I spent hours of fun elaborating complicated theories with my friends about the show (most of which turned out to be completely false, of course).
    I'm very sad this week's episode put a nail in the coffin for my theory about Nikki's personality.

I was sure Jessica had the power to project her mind into someone else's, and had managed to "upload" her entire mind into Nikki's when she was killed by her father.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

My little dig about the complaints about the'giant sized' (i used that term for a reason, read on) cast, at least from comic-geek folk, is that with all the main leads and secondary characters, there are still many MANY more characters in most continuties for most comics, especially the big titles like X-men, Justice League and the Expanded Star Wars Universe.

And the connection between the Heroes cast is usually still easier to get then most X-men characters origins ("Ok, he's the alternate future version of the son of Cyclops and Jean's clone.")

btw, I'm not watching the show, but I have a theory as to the spread of the powers; it's probably way off but it's funny:

Given that Kenso (the Samuri guy that Hiro worships) is alive in the present, all the powered people are decendants of his; notice the family relationships (D.L., Nikki and Micha; The Patrellies, Hiro and his father, et al.)

Actually, Tricky, I think you're onto something. I noticed the same thing.

The sad thing is that isn't even a new idea: there was a marvel book called "Clan Destine" that had the same basic idea.

The whole 'team' was one big extended family; imagine dallas, full house or a Mexican soap opera where all the characters were related and had powers! Creepiest moment: when their psychic, who had become a mental entity that possessed new bodies (can't remember if they were dead or not) tried to seduce a team mate (who would be like a cousin...or brother)!!

...nothing new under the sun.

Shakespeare.

I think he was paraphrasing...

lol

So, basically Tricky, what you are saying is that...

next time Kensei meets Hiro, he'll say : "Hiro, I'm your great-great-great-great... (2 minutes later)... great-great-great grandfather!"

But interesting idea nevertheless.
    Last edited by C5; 11-18-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Rewording
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

well, yeah.

But didn't Hiro already know that? (

thought he said Kinso was an ancestor of his
    ).