Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How many people agree with me?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phantom:
    I didn't say that. I only said "reply if you have something constructive to the arguement."

For the most part most of the nay-sayers have said that they will give it a chance when it comes out, even I have said I will. It is just the show will have work really hard to get our fanship. My bet is that I will fallow it for 3-4 episodes before losing interest. That assumes that it dosen't occupy a spot in the listings opposite SG-1. If it does...well, up hill battle for them.
    </font>
    I suggest you re-read the post in question you said;

"All you yea-sayers on this board I thought the reasons you created your own threads was so you would have a forum to voice you feelings of denial that Ent is actually going to be good. Well, most of us nea sayers have stayed from those threads at your request. So why are you posting over here? Because I'm really starting to take offense to a lot of your statements."

That was quite specifically 'Dont post here, where we are slagging the show off..

I couldn't say about the other threads after a short while of miserable denounciation I got bored with the same statement repeated by someone else and stopped reading and responding...

However, I like the name 'Yea-sayer'...

And think its Ironic that the yea-sayers like KlingonZ (Who even I have had fun with his positive attitude) are being lumped together with Former 'Nay-Sayers' like myself and Styro. It should also be noted that the attitude of former nay-sayers is almost universally, "I'll watch it and judge it on its merits..."

Thing is, unless your willing to do that, its like Not Voting.

It gives you no right to pass judgement at all, and what we are saying is that as none of us have even seen it, what right have we got to pass judgement? So its only fair that we watch the first couple of episodes before burying the show...

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by calguard66:

[snip]
    But I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. Trek came back after 20 year... maybe somebody at Paramount will wonder where their cash cow went, and make needed changes. Maybe they'll figure Trek is washed up and sell it to some minor production company that will revitalize it.

Maybe winged monkeys will fly out of my a@@, too.

But you never know...
    [/B]</font>
    I am one of the minority of TOS fans who thought that TNG was a mistake, and the excremental quality of the first 2 or 3 seasons certainly poisoned the Trek Gravity well for me. Despite the high quality of much of DS9 (the first few seasons, anyway), I have never been as much of a Trekfan as I was before TNG, and for that I blame TNG.

As far as the Berman bashing that's been going on: I still say that TNG only became watchable after Berman took over, and managed to make DS9 from a naked ripoff of BABYLON 5 into some of the best Trek since TOS, so lay off.

Braga, OTOH, should just roll over and go to zero-G sleep.

As far as ENTERPRISE: I'll give it a chance (as I gave TNG, DS9 and VOY), and I'll just hope.

MikeC, at least he's busted up with Jerri Ryan, so there is a God somewhere....

[This message has been edited by MikeC (edited 07-30-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan Gurden:

Thing is, unless your willing to do that, its like Not Voting.

It gives you no right to pass judgement at all, and what we are saying is that as none of us have even seen it, what right have we got to pass judgement? So its only fair that we watch the first couple of episodes before burying the show...

</font>
    I happen to vote in every election, and I feel that as long as I vote, I can complain about anything!!

I feel that this "thing" isn't Star Trek at all! I can trash it all I want, considering I do vote!

What I would like is is that the true fans start a petition for Paramount to cancel this "thing". It worked once before when TOS was on the verge of cancellation during the '60s, it can definitely do it now.

Ok, I will apologize for the wording of my above post, but not the idea behind it. I have not yet passed judgement on the show. Put it on trial yes, most evidence I have seen condemns it before it even starts. I do however reserve final sentencing for myself. I will pass judgement exactly 1 minute after the credits roll on the Pilot...Trust me we will know at that time, I was being generous when I said 3-4 eps before I got bored.

Actually you and the others you have mentioned are not, in my eyes anyway, yea-sayers nor are you yea-sayers. You are wait-and-seers, you have come to the conclusion that there is a remote chance this show will be good. The yea-sayers are sure that it will be good (shrugs), the nay-sayers no it will not be a good show (measuring "good" against past success of the show).

If my above post appeared that I was telling everyone who dosen't agree with me don't post, then I apologize. Please if you have anything concrete post away...as long as you don't deviate, as others have, and launch into semi-personal attacks.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treefrog:
    I happen to vote in every election, and I feel that as long as I vote, I can complain about anything!!

I feel that this "thing" isn't Star Trek at all! I can trash it all I want, considering I do vote!

What I would like is is that the true fans start a petition for Paramount to cancel this "thing". It worked once before when TOS was on the verge of cancellation during the '60s, it can definitely do it now.

</font>
    The voting thing was a comparrison, Trek is not a wholly owned subsidiary of the Government TM and so it was there as an allegory...

I was saying that none of us have any right to truely slam anything unless we watch it at least once...

But if you want to start the Petition, then please remember a couple of things.

1 - You are right, the power of the petition did help to create Phase II, which incidentaly never manifested itself and became the motion Picture and most of TNG's season 1 scripts...

2 - The power of petition DIDN'T work for the Sulu/Excelsior series, so recent events are not with your plan.
    Something I personally am damn glad they didn't do, and have a sneaking suspicion that all the same arguements we here against Enterprise would be levelled against 'Excelsior', had it come to be...

and 3 - Petitions can also go terribly wrong, the First Space shuttle, the test frame, is called Enterprise. This was in part due to a massive letter writing campaign by Trekkies.
    What went wroing was that Enterprise had been a name on the cards for a Spaceworthy shuttle, but the letter writing campaign helped put the moniker on a shiop that was not spaceworthy, thus ensuring no 'Enterprise' in orbit...

I think we can safely say, from the threads title that;
    'No, I dont agree with you, sorry.'

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

If you guys want to vote then lets vote and keep track of the vote. We don't what to be like Florida!! But I think Enterprise will be good, maybe not great, but good. That is my prediction, take it for what it is worth and I suggest we continue this conversation on September 27, after we all watch the premier. If you don't watch it then don't coment on it!!!

Hey all you yea-sayers out there you were right! My eyes have opened, I don't know why I didn't see it before....Ent isn't going to suck, it is going to be filled with so many contradictions it is going to be amusing to the point of absurdity. I just read the "bible" for it, if true well I just found another hole for my opinion to fall into.

I was thinking the other day B&B originally portrayed this as ST:Enterprise, but hey have recently said that they are removing ST from the title so the show can make it on its own "merits". So, they have effectivly removed it from the Star Trek line. Why then did they not come up with their own idea for a series, separate from trek, since that is bascically what they have done? Oh, wait (sound of hand slapping forehead) B&B would need to be able to come up with an original idea all by their lonesome, and we all know that is an impossiblity. This show has gone from silly to stupid to travestiy to betrayal.

Maybe they can air it right after Cleopatra 2025, where it belongs, with all the ridiculous Sci-fi crap that has come out lately.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Just saw an "ad" for Enterprise. Had a little chat with Berman (talking about a show he has proven he knows nothing about) and showed some scenes from all the old series...but no teasers for the new show, it starts in about a month and I haven't seen anything, except that little bit. Makes me think they don't want us to know what it will look like until we are staring right into the abyss. This dose not put any lift into my opinion of the show. In fact if my opinion could fall any further it would have. This thing is supposed to be the best thing that happend to TV since colour...and they're not advertising it. Maybe even they realize what a load of crap they have on their hands. I doubt it,

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Thumbs down

As of this instant, I will forever label 'Enterprise' as the "Thing"!

I am getting sick and tired of all of those yea-sayers and individuals who are saying watch a couple of episodes, and then decide, that it makes me want to vomit!!!

The "Thing" will fail utterly, that it isn't funny at all!

There has been tons of footage of the show in the US. Dunno about Canada. www.startrek.com has a 30 sec ad and www.vidiot.com has a 60 sec one with some cast dialogue.

------------------
    U.S.S. Icarus

And what is so wrong with letting a series air before saying yea or nay, Treefrog? Perhaps they don't want to prejudice a series before they have a chance to see at least the pilot in its entirey?

I am an Naysayer and I'll watch it. It may not change my mind (and it'll have to be darn good to change it) but I will at least give it a (slim) chance.

Treefrog, I understand you hate Enterprise so much but why can't you see that not everyone shares your view. No need to vomit over it <sigh>

Well all I know is what I have seen. The channel that showed the ad will be running the series, but no date yet as to when it will aired. I have most definitly not seen any other footage.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

I've seen about five minutes max. in clips and such and many of those were so brief it was hard to figure out anything about the series as a whole...

Not uncommon but I think that Paramount and UPN want to pique interest in the show to get viewership...

...or Phantom is right and they are nervous about the series.

Hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Generating interest is one thing, good marketing is another. With less then one month until kick off you would think you would be see an ad about every other hour at least. I've seen way more ads for new shows like Alias, Philly and a few others then for Enterprise. My slagging the show aside, I am beginning to wonder whats up.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Well for one thing, Trek isn't UPN's signature show anymore. They really hyped Voyager when it was new and they expected the Trek fans to roll in.

But this season Trek is second, perhaps third in the list of UPN's "darlings". Buffy gets the top spot, with Roswell perhaps nudging out Enterprise in the second spot. Buffy is a ratings getter and Roswell? Well its a proven commodity rather than the untested Enterprise.

With the lackluster performance of Voyager; UPN maybe a bit nervous. You think that would make them advertise more but in the strange world of television marketing an iffy show often gets _less_ advertisement than a top rated show. Silly, I know but still.

Maybe its this nervousness that is leading to the next-to-zero info on the series...