Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: How many people agree with me?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treefrog:
    The rumors I've heard thus far are that the 'thing' is supposed to be 'anti-canon', and its supposed to fix what Voyager did.
    </font>
    This I think is the root of your anger, and a major problem, you have made up your mind on a rumour, an unsubstantiated rumour as well...

I have heard that Brannon and Braga have stated that they do not feel that they should be constrained buy Canon, if the end result is a good story...

This strikes me as similar to what you have heard, but also different in Oh so many ways...

The problem here is that you have refused to accept that there is any evidence to the contary to this rumour... Or that you will judge for yourself...

An age old adage states;
    "Dont believe everything you read in the paper."

The 21st century version should finish;
    "...or on the Internet."

And that includes what I have to say. The only valid opinion are your own, not someone elses verbatum, and, Personally, I dont feel that anyone can make an informed decision without a certain amount of experience...

At this time, without a single episode to go on, the closest experience ANY of us have to judge the show on are what has come before;

TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and the 9 Movies...

If any of those fall into an area that we liked, then there is a chance, however small, that we might even enjoy it...

But its a TV show, and I doubt that B&B will hold a gun to our heads to ensure positive ratings. So the off button remains a viewer perogative.

Power to you, whatever you decide.

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

Thumbs up

In the latest issue of Star Trek Communicator Rick Berman states in an interview that they are doing very little bending of the facts in Enterprise and that they have gone to great lengths and used a lot of very knowledgeable people to place this in as accurate a position as they can.

IMHO this will be the best Trek since DS9 went off the air.

------------------

[This message has been edited by KlingonZ (edited 08-12-2001).]

Yeah, they would have to use people who know what Trek is about, because the morons B&B sure as hell don't, wasn't it Berman who said that he has nvever watched an episode of ST...AND WAS PROUD IF THAT FACT, AND HE IS RUNNING THE SHOW? What's up with that, eh!

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Red face

I have never heard that about Berman! But if it is true then he has no business having any thing to do with Star Trek!!! In the interview he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. If it is true he should be boiled in Bloodwine.

I still think Enterprise will be good.

Here's one for you KlingonZ, there is a thread on this board, I think it is the Bible for Ent. not sure, but in the article both Braga and Berman make total asses of themselves by getting all sorts of things wrong...primarily what movie the new (ie ridged) Klingons show up. They decided on ST III, the editor had to correct them in the column (ST I). I'll scout around and let you know. Or if you find it yourself you should read it, lots of insight into the people whos are now running ST.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phantom:
    Yeah, they would have to use people who know what Trek is about, because the morons B&B sure as hell don't, wasn't it Berman who said that he has nvever watched an episode of ST...AND WAS PROUD IF THAT FACT, AND HE IS RUNNING THE SHOW? What's up with that, eh!
    </font>
    Berman never said that. Brannon Braga was quoted as saying that years ago during TNG's run.

For crying out frelling loud, can we at least SEE an episode of the series before we start complaining about it?!?

Samething. He is still working on the show!

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Exclamation

Since Richard Arnold got the push almost immediately after Roddenberry died, I guess that's not likely.

Arnold was kind of a keeper of Gene's ideals. While Gene was ill, Arnold apparently exercised Gene's creative control, particularly over novels.

At the time, Peter David and he butted heads a lot over the content of David's TNG novels (see the dedication in 'Vendetta').

I met Arnold at a couple of cons. He was a nice bloke, and knew his Trek lore. It is a shame that they don't have him or someone like him on the staff. I think they would particulary need a continuity consultant on 'Enterprise'.

------------------
    Greg

"Calm may work for Locutus of Borg here, but I'm freaked and intend to stay that way."
    Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Prophecy Girl.

[This message has been edited by Greg Smith (edited 08-14-2001).]

Question

Re. Canon and Consistancy

At the risk of being accused of trolling for
    flames, I have to admit that I just don't
    understand why people get so upset about what
    is, and is not, "canonical."

Just look at the well-known medieval
    myth-cycles associated with King Arthur and
    Charlemagne. These stories have been
    edited, retold, reinterpreted, elaborated
    upon, and "spun" to please this audience or
    that, but most people know the "general
    outline" of the stories, and handle all the
    conflicting details by either (a) picking
    and choosing, or (b) accepting the mutual
    validity of multiple interpretations of the
    same material with (perhaps) a shrug.
    People rarely seem to fight flame-wars over
    the relative merits of T. H. White and
    Marion Zimmer Bradley, and Mary Stewart (to
    name just three of the most modern authors).

Why should the "Star Trek" universe be any
    different? Granted, there are (for the time
    being) copyright and intellectual property
    issues, but the "general outline" of "Star
    Trek" has escaped into the "cultural meme
    pool," and is thus (in my opinion) governed
    by the rough-and-tumble branching, grafting,
    and pruning rules that shaped the stories of
    Arthur and Charlemagne...

Well speaking as a fan of Arthurian legend the reason why I certainly don't exercise in flame wars over this subject is because I take Mallory as the "offical" version. The only other author I pay any attention to is Stienbeck's version, which is very close to Mallory.

So, looking at it from that point Roddenberry (Mallory) is the real version, while others (B&B) are pale comparisons.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phantom:
    Yeah, they would have to use people who know what Trek is about, because the morons B&B sure as hell don't
    </font>
    Actually, so did Mr. Roddenbury when doing TNG. That's why Paramount hired Richard Arnold (at his request). He knew and remembered more about all of ST than Gene could (by Gene's admission). I personally don't see any major threat to "on screen" ST continuity so far. At least no more of a threat than has always existed in ST. As a friend once said to me many years ago, "The only consistency that exists in Star Trek is..... its inconsistency" . While I'm strict about consistency within my ST game universe, when it comes to the TV shows I'm much looser and way more accepting. As long as its not something glaring and is part of a well written story. The "well written" is the actual key. I think that will determine the success or failure of ENTERPRISE. Bad writing is about the only thing ST wouldn't be able to survive. That's the real threat to ENTERPRISE.

With that said, I do wish Richard Arnold was back to advise B&B on Trek history anyway.

In that case I wish Richard Arnold was back to replace B&B.

ST will survive bad writting, all the series had there fair share of badly written scripts...most around here will say the Voy had more than its fair share, yet it survived. But they all were Trek. This Ent is basically a new show in a new universe...at least looking on what B&B have planned that is what it shuould have been.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Well, heres a change in subject...

Thing with Arthurian legend is, it should be set in ancient celtic times, just after the Roman occupation... Not quite the knights in shining armour that immediatly springs to mind at the mention of King Arthur.

However over time, the mythology has developed and expanded, and come forward to medievil times. The entire Mallory is a romanticised version that was perfect for the times it was written and has become the de-facto standard.

No arguements there.

For an interesting twist a few years back Bernard Cornwall, the author of the Sharpe's series of books wrote a compelling series of 3 books based on Arthurian legend that make great reading and are set roughly accuratly;

The Winter King:
    Enemy of God:
    Excalibur:

http://www.bernardcornwellbooks.com/

I hope I manage to share at least some of the joy I found in these books with someone...

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

I think when critizing the 'Akira-Class' you also have to consider that there will be many people which see ST first with Enterprise and that's certainly the aim of Paramount to attract even more people, younger ones than us olds guys . But you will not achieve this with an outdated ship design.
    Nevertheless I do not know why the Enterprise Design should not be canon. The Akira-Class could be a homage on it, like the Pasteur is on the Daedalus Class. And second we know on our planet times when the outdated old was more in fashion than something real new, so why should a newer ship not look less modern?
    Third, although Kirk's Enterprise looks older ( which I think has its reason mostly in special effects and not the design ) it still looks more impressing I believe. It somehow more majestic then the Enterprise of Archer. this ship looks fast and maneuverable but not so impressing like the Constitution Class.

------------------
    "I am a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread." - Cpt. Kirk, Star Trek VI

www.farrealms.de

For me the real thing that erks me about the Akiraprise (ripping of the FC design not included) was its saucer section.

I would have like to see a proto saucer design. Not a Daedelus but somthing that would have given both the impression of a pre-Constitution design but still remained cool enough for the series.

The saucer of the Akiraprise looks far too Trekmodern...