Thread: Extra Points

Extra Points

While going back over the character I am working on (I'm converting the characters for my players), I noticed when I took some Templates after the Cadet Cruise, that the characters Promotion Points were a bit high. Is it possible to take those extra points and put them somewhere else? With the Templates (Cadet Cruise: Promotion +1) and 1st Assignment (Hostile Frontier Defense Mission), the Officer will have a Promotion 4 (Commander). So can I just take those 2 points and put them somewhere else?
    If Matt Damon is going to be Captain Kirk, does that mean Ben Affleck is gonna be Mr. Spock?

Um, 4 Promotion points does not make you a Commander. Point requirements are cumulative, so 4 points is a Lieutenant jg (+1 +2) with one point saved toward full Lieutenant. A Commander requires 10 points (+1 +2 +3 +4).

The alternative Promotion cost from the TNG Players Guide is 2 points per rank, lowering the total cost to 8 for a Commander, but making 4 points simply a Lieutenant jg...

Doh!

*Stule throws his book on the floor and jumps up and down on it!*
    If Matt Damon is going to be Captain Kirk, does that mean Ben Affleck is gonna be Mr. Spock?

All template points can be spent anywhere you want, if your narrator allows.

If that is you, do what you will.

Skills in chargen are worth 3
    Specs are worth 1
    Renown is 2 pts of renown for 1 pt of dev.
    Etc.

So if your guy gets:
    Administration (Starship) 1 (2) = 3 Points.

That could be converted instead into:
    Commendation +1
    Promotion +2

OR

Commendation +1
    Promotion +1
    Administration (Starship) 0 (1)

And I definitely recommend use of the Player's handbook rules for promotions, oh yes. Along with the rules for command school and bridge qualfications. That';s a great book, in general.

Brings back the old FASA Feel to it.

This means that you can have a rising star that zooms up the ranks, but has no skill, or the crusty old LT that has been around forever, and knows a whole bunch, but doesn't want a promotion to LCDR and all the politics. Or any mix in between.
    Last edited by LUGTrekGM; 11-22-2006 at 08:20 AM.

Final note on this:

The templates are there to give your PC some flavor as he /she comes up through the ranks in character generation, so that you can prepare a story / background history of their assignments, and potential reaction to those experiences, not as some slavish kind of points here must be spent on THIS specific thing.

They did it that way so that you did not have a new player to the game, (possibly new to Star Trek, also) throw him 125 points, and say "Gen me up a PC with one tour."

Many many templates are possible for the races, early life, and post academy tours.

They are all ways to organize 8, 10, or 5, points, in "Blocks" as "History" rather than having a player take 125 points, and come out of the academy with stats of all 1, 5 skills of 6, blind, and with no smell, or some other weirdness, and make him the CO, recruited at age 14 to become an admiral, because he's a lightning calculator. I mean, that's just silliness.

But without templates, someone new to the game might try it. I know I have seen crap like that all over GURPS games.

I think it's an elegant system, and makes a lot of sense, and gives you a history to boot, plus being far easier than FASA's 3rd ed lifepaths for Battletech/ Mechwarrior.

Yea I agree with you about that book. Once I read it, it was alot of help. And thanks on the explanation about the points. After reading your posts, I now understand te concept.

I am really starting to like LUG.

Just got to decide which system to use, CODA or LUG.

Yeah, I worked on that same question for two months. in the End, I chose LUG, mostly because it felt like FASA with Ads & Disads to boot, and no control sheerts for space combat, much more streamlined than fasa.

Good luck with it.

I'm not the LUG expert, but I like it a lot. Answering these questions and posts has been fun for me.