Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GenCon Decipher-Trek Review

Thumbs up

Have to say, this is all sounding very interesting - I'll be watching Amazon with interest .

Have to say, this whole level/adavancement approach reminds me a little of Rolemaster/MERP (which was nowhere near as scary as most people think if you had a decent calculator ). Before people squeal in horror, the biggest strength of RM was that when you went up a 'level' you spent your points where you wanted, including getting more Hit Points. Even using classes, it allowed a lot of variation.

DecTrek seems to have developed this idea further - I like the sound of it. And it's very different from D20, whatever you may think about levels...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by prophetsteve:
    Well I cannot say why you would switch to DecTrek, I can tell you why I will... eventually. </font>
    Which is a very good idea. And you have some very good reasons.

I know that I will buy the first two books.

The reason I plan on getting them is simple, the ex-LUG guys have built a reputation on these boards and with their work. Therefore its gotta be worth a look. Hell if I dont like it, I wont use it. I doubt that Steve and Don will show up on my doorstep and force me to play the new system.

(But if you do, remember to bring your copies of Dune, I dont have a copy and would love to play, at least once! )

So its simple to me. If I can afford it, its worth a look. And thats why the good lord gave us credit cards.

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

If I may come back on the level topics, I would say the Dec-ST system reminds me a lot of the one used in the video game Fallout (wich, IMHO, is the best RPG video game ever) : in this game, you gain levels when you reach a certain amount of XP, and each time you pass a level, you receive some points to distribute freely among all your skills. This works fine, and allow you to tune your character in any way you want, without any notion of classes.

So, as long as DecTrek's Advancement system works this way, I don't see any reason to despise it - and as one of you said, it can be reverse-engineered to return to a free XP-repartition system.
    The main drawback of the D&D's level system is IMHO the fact that you just can't choose how to spend them - and more, that it is restrained by your class. Such restraints couldn't just exist in Trek anyway ("Nah, I know Picard is a level 30 Captain, but he can't have archeolgy - you never get to improve this skill when you're on the Command class" ).
    As long as there are not on DecTrek - fine (and if there are, then I at least would have reasons to ban the mere mention of the name of the game ).

Remains the problem of the D20 system. I think it's just a matter of preference - some feel better with D6, others with D100, others with D17 ...

Well - just my 2 cents on the subject anyway.

------------------
    "I perfectly understand your concerns, Captain, and will quietly stay in my quarters until your life threatening problem is solved, without bothering you with the importance of my mission"
    UFP VIP to Enterprise Captain, alternate timeline #0348

[This message has been edited by C5 (edited 08-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by C5 (edited 08-31-2001).]

Phantom,
    My comment was not directed at you, but at somone else on the list.

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by C5:
    As long as there are not on DecTrek - fine (and if there are, then I at least would have reasons to ban the mere mention of the name of the game ).</font>
    (Sorry I picked you C5... but this little lack of trust motivated me enough)

Okay, time for a RANT!

Now, does anyone think that any of the game designers from Decipher will come to those results while sketching the new system? What do you think, that they don't know Star Trek? Come on! We're talking about R. Isaacs, S. Long, Don Mappin too! They know what they're doing! They have already created an apt system for the Star Trek system, and they told us that this one will correct all the failures present in ICON. Are you really afraid that those so-called "levels" will work as rigidly as in D&D? Are you really frightened that the character advancement won't be able to be changed, or twisted, at will, by the players and the GMs?

PUH-LEAAASE! They've been fed up with the critict to ICON for two years. They have an experience in the Star Trek environment for more than three years. They designed several sourcebooks that respect canon and invented some good pseudo-canon of its own! And the system worked FINE. And this one promises to be BETTER! Unless you HATED ICON, and hated the way they developed the setting, I think you have no motive to be afraid about the quality of the new system.

Change is traumatic. But we're talking a game here. A game about a TV series. It's not the end of the world.

Please, people, trust those guy a little bit more.

Sorry, rant over.

------------------
    Chakotay: You didn't poison my coffee, did you?
    Janeway: Not any more than I usually do.
    "The Voyager Conspiracy", Voyager

Unhappy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. Jonas Bashir:
    (Sorry I picked you C5... but this little lack of trust motivated me enough)
    </font>
    Okay... I should have been more cautious in the way I phrased my statement (it was a worst case scenario in my mind - almost a "mirror Decipher ST").

Apart from that, I tend to agree with your rant - heaven, this was more or less the cause I tried to defend in my post!

BTW, we all forgot something to complain about. Are there any alignement rules planned for DecTrek ?

------------------
    "I perfectly understand your concerns, Captain, and will quietly stay in my quarters until your life threatening problem is solved, without bothering you with the importance of my mission"
    UFP VIP to Enterprise Captain, alternate timeline #0348

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by C5:
    BTW, we all forgot something to complain about. Are there any alignement rules planned for DecTrek ?
    </font>
    Yes! I'm gonna be a Lawful Good Klingon.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tonyg:
    Phantom,
    My comment was not directed at you, but at somone else on the list.
    </font>
    Ok, it can get confusing around here sometimes. Especially when two people say similar things in their posts.

Sorry I popped off like that.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Dr. Bashir,

As the history of LUG Trek shows, the designers rarely have the final say in what happens in an RPG. Over the course of the last year we wnet from LUGTrek, to LUGTrek by WotC, to D20 Trek (was supposed to happen), to Decipher Trek, to Decipher Trek by LUG.

Despite the best intentions of any designer, there is management to consider. If Decipher wants to go one way then it will probably happen. And a LOT of gaming companies have D20 products. I just hope Star Trek doesn't become one of them.

Thumbs down

Comments like tonyg's above are exactly the reason why the designers hesitate to come here and share information, because no matter what, people like to cause problems and twist the facts (or just make up their own).

Look for an updated preview shortly but beyond that I think its safe to say that no further comments from those close to the system will be forthcoming.

Frustrated...

[Edit] I’d also like to thank everyone who has an interest in the game, is jazzed by it, or is at least willing to hold opinions until they know more about it—I’m sure everyone involved in the design of the new game appreciates your excitement. Also thanks to Will for taking the time to share his firsthand experience with the system. I feel it’s important for those interested to hear from someone who has played the game, whether their comments are good or bad.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 08-31-2001).]

Thumbs down

Agreed, Don. I'm in complete agreement with you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Look for an updated preview shortly but beyond that I think its safe to say that no further comments from those close to the system will be forthcoming.
    </font>
    Great. Thanks tonyg.

As Don said, Star Trek isn't going d20. Any similarity is just a coincidence (and since we don't know the specifics none of us are qualified to make such a judgement)

Now we'll won't be getting any more insider information.

Thanks for calling me in to the boards, Don. But let's be honest: I selfishly wrote about the playtest demo so that I'd have folks to play Star Trek with at GenCon next year!

word,
    will

ps. Here's hoping that when the next preview comes, Don and the good blokes at Decipher won't be shy!

[Edit:] There were other folks at the demo tables, too. If any are lurking, I encourage you to share.

[This message has been edited by Lt. Dade (edited 08-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lt. Dade (edited 08-31-2001).]

Wink

Not alignment as in D&D, but one of the three basic attributes is Integrity (The other two are Cunning and Strength). They've gotta mesh it with the card game, ya know!

------------------
    Games... The... Final Product. These... are the books... of the Star... Trek RPG. Their five... year license. To explore... strange... new roles. To breathe... new... life into get... togethers. To bold... ly play what no... fan... has played... be... fore!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    Not alignment as in D&D, but one of the three basic attributes is Integrity (The other two are Cunning and Strength). They've gotta mesh it with the card game, ya know!
    </font>
    YIKES!!! I hope that was a joke!

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!