Thread: Good news! Radio Free Decipher on Trek RPG!

Post Good news! Radio Free Decipher on Trek RPG!

http://www.decipher.com/rfd/index.html

Important elements from Christian Moore's appearance on Radio Free Decipher. I have paraphrased and used short quotes from Christian. All question should be directed to him; this is all straight from the horses mouth:

- new system to be more more of a "gamer's system" as opposed to the "freeform, dramatic" Icon system

- you can design the character that you want, know where you want your character to go and "take them there"

- Christian considers it to have "more structure" and will be a game that "people come back to and keep playing"

- Christian felt like the Decipher West Coast was not under some of the time constraints; fan feedback was important; they made big improvements and they are very happy with the game; they were able to use some of what they learned at Wizards of the Coast (they used a combo of their Icon with what they learned working on D20)

- first book: Player's Book

- second book: Gamemaster Book

- of course, it is one gameline this time around; very similar to LUG's Star Trek: The Expanded Universe gameline, which itself was "well-received"

- the guts of the system are being used for Lord of the Rings; Christian uses an analogy of Decipher Trek-Decipher Lord of the Rings being similar to each other in the way that LUG Trek-LUG Dune were similar

- Lord of the Rings Adventure (introductory) game (boxed set)is in approvals right now and is due out around the time of the movie; it is aimed for people who have just seen the film or fans who have not "been exposed to role-playing games"; Christian says that the production values on LotR are very high but those really looking for the core game should wait

- 7 Decipher West employees under the wing of Christian; a lot of overlap; Owen and Christian work on everything; pretty much it is a creative staff without worrying about marketing, etc.

- some issues on finishing Decipher Trek; Christian pronounces LUG as "lug"

- the process is appealing to Christian; the current games are the only ones in the works for now

-announcements over the next eight weeks including "a new minatures game for Star Trek" and something about "a live action system for Trek"

- once the production really gets going by the six month point, there will be 8 or 9 things in the wings at "Any one time"

Christian or anyone else from Decipher, if I've gotten any of this info wrong, feel free to post about it. I know I'm excited about this!

[This message has been edited by Caretaker (edited 09-15-2001).]

IMVHO, I prefered the freeform dramatic system over the planned gamer's system. It shouldn't make much difference though, I'll be buying the stuff like crazy.

I like the sound of Caretaker's second point.

I guess it's good that the Player and Narrator books aren't released at the same time.

I still think I'll give the LOTR game a try.

Another very humble opinion: Maybe Decipher should eventually try making a generic fantasy RPG and a generic Sci Fi one. Maybe one designed for historical games throughout the timeline, or choose one appealing historical setting, for example precolumbian America or ancient Northern Europe.

the production rate sounds awesome!

------------------
    Games... The... Final Product. These... are the books... of the Star... Trek RPG. Their five... year license. To explore... strange... new roles. To breathe... new... life into get... togethers. To bold... ly play what no... fan... has played... be... fore!

Cool

"A live-action system for Trek"

Bet we'll be seeing this at cons everywhere... at last, something for those not pretentious enough for White Wolf

This all sounds very cool... I can't wait.

Hugh

------------------
    "We have engaged the Borg... ceremony at noon, reception following."

Talking

Cool,

MINATURES game announcement in eight weeks or so? I wonder if that will be scope and scale, possible rough ideas for it, or a call for playtester, either way, what 3-4 months down the road it might be making an appearance, or at least starting to gel.....

I have goosebumps! I don't know what I want more, the ships or just squads of Klingon Assault troops to kick ass all over the table.

I would love to see this minatures game...I can't wait for some new starship minis...A Steamrunner...an Akra...A Nova...ohhhhh...A Sovereign!!!!!!!!!!!

Braeth son...breathe...okay! Whew...got all excited there

------------------
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Visit Star Trek:Lexington at;
    http://www.usslexington.net
    =-=-=-=-=-=

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Captain Zymmer:
    ...an Akra...</font>
    An Akra? What's an Akra? You must mean the Okra-class vessel. Yep... including the famous USS Gumbo.

<ENGAGE HUMOUR MODE>

In the immortal words of LOBO...

"Bite me Fanboy."

And no I ain't talking about Sheriff Lobo either :P

<DISENGAGE HUMOUR MODE>

------------------
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Visit Star Trek:Lexington at;
    http://www.usslexington.net
    =-=-=-=-=-=

I want the miniatures, but I'm not quite so sure about the minis game. Norway! Uff Da!

------------------
    Games... The... Final Product. These... are the books... of the Star... Trek RPG. Their five... year license. To explore... strange... new roles. To breathe... new... life into get... togethers. To bold... ly play what no... fan... has played... be... fore!