Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GenCon Decipher-Trek Review

Post GenCon Decipher-Trek Review

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_4953.html

(Note, I'm just posting the link, I've no association with the reviewer which I know of).

/me cocks eyebrow ... levels ?!?

[This message has been edited by Calcoran (edited 08-29-2001).]

Levels??? Hmmmmm, well let's wait and see what it's like when they release it. I don't like the idea of levels, and I much prefer D6 based systems, to D20. But I'll buy it anyway, and judge it once we've played it.

Absolute worst case scenario, I buy all the books and reverse engineer them for the old ICON system

Darn, I wish they'd release it already....

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-74600, U.S.S. Intrepid
    Star Trek: Intrepid

I hope this isn't true. If the game is level based I won't buy it, and neither will the rest of my RPG group. Saw what D20 Star Wars looks like, and D20 Trek doesn't appeal to me at all.

[This message has been edited by tonyg (edited 08-29-2001).]

Angry

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tonyg:
    I hope this isn't true. If the game is level based I won't buy it, and neither will the rest of my RPG group. Saw what D20 Star Wars looks like, and D20 Trek doesn't appeal to me at all.</font>
    Your loss and a very close-minded attitude. You know nothing about the game and this one passing comment makes you immediately determine you will not buy the product?

It isn't D20, either. (Dear God, here we go again...)

With all respects to Will, whom I know, that "review" was devoid of any content. He didn't discuss abilities, traits, the professions, or the actual die mechanic used at any length or detail.

Granted, I wasn't at Gen Con but I'm pretty sure people who sat down for a demo game of the new RPG were not required to sign NDAs.

I'm of the opinion, based off the knee-jerk reactions I've seen, that this review did more harm than good. That's a shame, because it is a good game, it is better than Icon, and it is more flexible in design.

End rant.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 08-29-2001).]

There, there, Don! The review is not that bad!
    Actually, I must say it really made me looking forward to seeing/reading/playing it. It's just that there is this one word in the review that makes many gamers wince ... the dreaded L word .

------------------
    Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
    -- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)

[This message has been edited by Calcoran (edited 08-29-2001).]

Exclamation

I just took that comment about levels with a grain of salt. From the tidbits I read about the system, I know it doesn't mean to carry D&D style levels, so I'm calm and relaxed.

That doesn't change my situation. I'll buy the book during 2002, and not before.

------------------
    Chakotay: You didn't poison my coffee, did you?
    Janeway: Not any more than I usually do.
    "The Voyager Conspiracy", Voyager

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don:
    With all respects to Will, whom I know, that "review" was devoid of any content.
    </font>
    Does Will post here on the board? Or if not, could you con him to, Don? We'd appreciate more info from people who were able to attend GenCon.

I've e-mailed him this thread and hopefully he'll drop in and say something.

I agree--I think it's important that you all hear from people who have played the system firsthand who aren't bound by NDAs (like me). Ask them tough questions, their likes and their dislikes. Ask about details.

That's the problem I have with Will's review: it tells you how much he likes the system but skirts so many important details about the actual game that it makes it difficult for someone to understand if they would like it.

Honestly, after reading through the article and all the tangets and D20 references, the offhand mentioning of levels, the lack of detail and the comparison of a phaser to a wand of sleep (!) I can't blame anyone who walks away with the wrong impression about the new RPG.

------------------

I'm of the opinion, based off the knee-jerk reactions I've seen, that this review did more harm than good. That's a shame, because it is a good game, it is better than Icon, and it is more flexible in design.

</font>
    As I already said. I'll buy it and judge it when my group has played it, and we've had a chance to assess the system. If we prefer ICON, we'll stick with ICON, but likely still buy all the books as source and adventure material.

On the other hand, if we like the new system, we'll probably change over to it. 'Nuff said.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter

[This message has been edited by USS Intrepid (edited 08-29-2001).]

Friends,

I've read the review on RPGnet, and it piqued my already growing interest in the new game. I've also read the Game Trade article mentioned several threads up and that furthered my attention. Let me tell you, if I can get up the dough for these two books when they are released...look out. It's movie era time! (I'm still slightly bummed over Final Frontiers not being released, although Steve Long's SRM:TOS manuscripts have helped...) In any case, my thoughts on why Will did not reveal any of the game mechanic tell me that maybe he didn't want to get into any trouble concerning what are currently "trade secrets." Further, I would note that there have always been "levels" on Star Trek. Kirk had a level, Spock had a level, everyone we've seen in Starfleet has a level. What are these levels you ask? They're called RANKS. It might help us Trek players to think of levels in terms of ranks.

BTW, I just graduated from Cal State Fullerton in May (with a B.A. in Communications-TV/Film), and I've been working with the Career Placement Office there, and the person in charge of looking for TV/Film jobs for graduates is...former visual effects associate for Deep Space Nine, Laura Matz! She has a crew plaque made by the production department showing an Okudagram of the Defiant in profile, and a Defiant Development Project logo plaque as well. Just thought you'd like to know.

------------------
    Can I have some Amy Jo Johnson, mama?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    darkwingone@hotmail.com
    gameshowman@winning.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Game Show Man:
    Further, I would note that there have always been "levels" on Star Trek. Kirk had a level, Spock had a level, everyone we've seen in Starfleet has a level. What are these levels you ask? They're called RANKS. It might help us Trek players to think of levels in terms of ranks.

</font>
    That's actually a very good point.... And might be a reasonable approach to take. I hadn't looked at it quite that way.

Argggghhhhhh... November is so darn far off.......

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by USS Intrepid:
    As I already said. I'll buy it and judge it when my group has played it, and we've had a chance to assess the system.</font>
    I was referring to the ill-informed responses at rpg.net, the handful of e-mails I have received from upset gamers already, plus tonyg's comment, among others.

All within a few hours of the article being posted.

That's all I was talking about, Intrepid.

------------------

I was referring to the ill-informed responses at rpg.net, the handful of e-mails I have received from upset gamers already, plus tonyg's comment, among others.

All within a few hours of the article being posted.

That's all I was talking about, Intrepid.

</font>
    Hey, I was just agreeing with ya Don No explanation necessary.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter

Exclamation

What up,

My name is Will Hindmarch, and I wrote that demo review on RPG.net. Where to start?!

First off, let me say that I am happy to do Don's bidding. Post your questions, and I'll tell you what I know. I posed a few questions to the Decipher folks following the demo, but I don't really know much. I have not signed an NDA because I have nothing to do with the production of the game.

Second, I have to say this: I can make no apologies. As you say, Don, it's a fluff piece. I think the tone of the article conveys that. I want to be especially clear on this point: the "wand of sleep" parallel was drawn initially by the fellow who ran the demo, Mr. Ross Issacs, and he's totally correct. A phaser on "stun" setting has a very basic, binary effect on gameplay (as it does on storytelling in Star Trek episodes). That is, once hit by a stun blast, the target is either still conscious or it is not. Not unlike a wand of sleep.

Okay, yes, some folks are afraid of the character levels. If I say "Advancements," as they do in the game, will those folks feel better? Whatever. The point is this: don't bring your D&D bias to Star Trek, because the similarities are only in the most abstract terms. Boycott this new game and you'll be missing out. Seriously.

Lastly, let me offer up the thoughts behind my little article. I'm excited about the new game, and I wanted people to talk about it, ask about it, spark some more info from Decipher. As it happens, there's plenty of info coming out from Decipher now, which has nothing to do with my article. When I wrote it, though, I couldn't even find a press release on the Decipher site. I wanted to share my anticipation with y'all.

I separated my demo review/preview/whatever from the RPG reviews, you'll note. Likewise, I was vague on the game mechanics because it would be irresponsible of me to review a product which I have not seen and have not sufficiently played. Granted, it might not be wise of me to write an article just about how I am brimming with fan-boy joy for this new game, but I warned you all right at the beginning of the article, didn't I?

The article is what it is: a vaporous wisp of anticipatory babblings. One hour of gameplay with Vulcans, Bajorans, phasers, and transporters sparked that. Sounds like a good game, then, eh?

word,
    will