Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GenCon Decipher-Trek Review

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Seriously, though, my own reaction after reading all of this is one of having a sick feeling in the pit of my gut. Yeah, I've read all of the above, and I DO understand what is being said, but let's face facts: "advancement" IS just another term for "level" and the principle is indeed the same, no matter how you dress it up.</font>
    It seems you are making far too much of this. Its one mechanic amongst many mechanics in the game and a mechanic we have really no idea how it works yet.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">With AD&D it wasn't the actual mechanic that bothered the serious gamer, it was the concept. </font>
    Whoa. "Serious" gamers liked AD&D too and even like the levels system. Its personal preference you are talking about - lets not start the age old AD&D vs. "real" roleplaying debate...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Levels made no sense. One moment you're suddenly much tougher and smarter (or whatever) than you were before. I don't want to store up points so I can get a new title or somesuch package of benefits all at once.</font>
    I will agree with you partially. Levels make less sense then "buy as you go", as least as I see it. Whether levels make "sense" is not as important whether they allow my character freedom enough. As I haven't seen the mechanic I am withholding judgement.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A good role-playing game has gradual increases for individual situations or talents on or near the time that the "lesson" is learned or the knowledge is actually gained, eg. real life. </font>
    Again its personal preference. A "good" roleplaying game is a very personal thing - I don't like Champions complexity but does that make it a "bad" game? No, because lots of people like it. Likewise, levels aren't bad just because people don't like it - its an aquired taste.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If I'm playing Trek and someone wants to know what my character is capable of doing, etc. then let them take a look at my rank and service record, things that are easily enough created and kept current by any competent referee. </font>
    I don't make service records so does that make me a incompetant referee? Kurgan, you must realize that GM and players styles differ - What Don says about Advancements makes sense to me as a player and a GM because of my gaming style. It may not to you but don't judge GM's by whether they spend time writing game logs and records. Many of us don't have that much time...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> We've by no means received the entire picture here, so can't make a permanent judgement, but the picture that is forming from the tidbits and repetition of descriptions is, I'm afraid to say, a bit bleak. </font>
    I'll judge a system but all its merits before I'll say bleak or no. No game system appeals to me 100% - there is always something I want to change. I would have preferred "buy as you go" system but until I read the mechanics on Advancement I have no right to spread doom and gloom.

Its not like Decipher is new at this - the LUGTrek Crew is behind it and they have a good rep with me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'll probably wait and see what general reaction is before considering a purchase, and even then will more than likely hit eBay for a cheap copy to play it safe.</font>
    Buying at E-Bay deprives Decipher of money (since its a second hand copy). Flip through the book at the store and if you like it buy it new - give these guys the money for the hard work they have done...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm actually starting to get a little nostalgic over my old Fasa books!</font>
    Again, some people like FASATrek, others like LUGTrek - play what you like. There are no DecTrek Borg out there assimilating you into the collective. I plan on playing LUGTrek for awhile before switching to the new game - I may never switch (although I will support DecTrek by buying their stuff). But I will make my decision when I have the books in my hands and have had a chance to read it.

Like I said; Decipher West deserve no less...

[This message has been edited by prophetsteve (edited 09-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by prophetsteve (edited 09-10-2001).]

Friends:

I've played and own many different RPGs. I like to think I dabble in systems. I've seen (and even used) everything from Steve Jackson's GURPS (which I think will be awesome with Prime Directive) to White Wolf's Storyteller System; everything from the Hero System to the Tri-Stat System; from West End's D6 System to the infamous D20 System.

One of the things that convinced me to get the latest Star Wars RPG was author Bill Slavicsek, co-author of the original game and hardcore Jedi junkie. I like most fans was a big fan of the original D6 mechanic, was sad to see WEG lose the license (although they have since rebounded with a fine superhero game from the DC Comics universe using a wonderful variant of that great system), and absolutely had to try the new game, even with the stigma of WotC attached to it, because I <u>knew</u> that because of the author's great love for the universe in which he had been set to play in, it would still capture that same feeling. I have grown affectionate of the Star Wars version of D20, and if I get any more D20 games, I wil probably, if possible, adapt them to the Star Wars material (mostly because I hate D&D, and will do my damndest to avoid buying any of it).

We have a similiar situation here. We have some of the best minds in gaming (including two who regularly read these boards, Steve Long, and the Don of the TrekRPGNet mob, Don Mappin) who not only worked on the last Trek RPG, and made a sensational game, but have been tapped to create a new one, with a new system which may very well surpass the superior Trekesque flavor of the Icon System.

It has been said here before and it bears repeating: we <u>must</u> keep an open mind when we see the new material. We <u>must</u> leave any preconceived notions about the mechanic at the door, except:
    -that it will be quick and cinematic
    -that it try to keep the Trekesque flavor we know and love
    -and that the people who have made this game love the Star Trek stories as much as we do, if not more so.

A gentleman named Ewen Cluney has a website where he has available a "traditional" RPG based on Street Fighter style tournament fighting video games (If you e-mail me I'll give you the address if you want it, I don't want to be seen as a spammer, thank you very much). In it, he quotes a line from a commercial anime game, which he calls "Rule Zero." Actually, he reminds the reader that every RPG in the last few years has this rule, but he gives his favorite version of the rule, which comes from the said commercially made game:

"If a rule annoys you, ignore it."

There are always other methods of doing what you want to do in a game (or in anything else for that matter). If you play DecTrek, and you don't like something in it, do it your own way. Just remember that if in playing your game, it feels more like an episode of your least favorite Trek show (in my case, Voyager [Sorry, Don.]) than an episode of your favorite Trek show (TOS, baby, particularly the movies; I love the TOS movies), you've screwed up.

I hope I have made my position clear.

Go boldly, my friends.

------------------
    Can I have some Amy Jo Johnson, mama?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    darkwingone@hotmail.com
    gameshowman@winning.com

Go to my other post about Game Trade Magazine if you would like to see a little summary of the game.

100 posts!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Kronok (edited 09-11-2001).]