Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Science fiction goes political

Based on what, in the article, exactly? His disdain for the "mainstream" media? Hell, something like 70% of America has that, according to polls.
    I dunno about anyone else, but my disdain for OSC has nothing to do with his novels (I haven't read that many of them). It has always been his social views, especially regarding homosexuality and gay marriage, that have gotten up my nose. Not to mention his support of so-called "Intelligent Design" in opposition to evolutionary theory.

I don't know him personally, of course, but everything I've read about him makes him sound like a fairly typical nutbar fundie.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's trying to get Harry Potter banned from schools, next...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron
    I dunno about anyone else, but my disdain for OSC has nothing to do with his novels (I haven't read that many of them). It has always been his social views, especially regarding homosexuality and gay marriage, that have gotten up my nose. Not to mention his support of so-called "Intelligent Design" in opposition to evolutionary theory.

I don't know him personally, of course, but everything I've read about him makes him sound like a fairly typical nutbar fundie.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's trying to get Harry Potter banned from schools, next...
    He is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints, but I've never heard of him yelling that we'll go to hell if we don't give up booze & caffine and start keeping a year's supply handy. Also, I'd point out that to Momons, "fundamentalist" has a rather specific meaning with regards being in favor of polygamy. Over all, I'd say Card's positions classify him as a typical religious liberal in terms of US politics. (IMHO, the widespead belief that those two terms were incompatable amongst a great many opinion leaders is part of what's been hurting the Democrats the past decade or so, but that would veer this even more into Sarek's Lounge territory.)

Here's an interview with Card about the novel.
    Last edited by Cybrludite; 12-22-2006 at 07:00 AM.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    Based on what, in the article, exactly?
    Based on nothing in that article. Or his work.

Like Aldaron, I think his "git-ness" has been established by comments he has made on various issues, social and otherwise.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrludite
    He is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints, but I've never heard of him yelling that we'll go to hell if we don't give up booze & caffine and start keeping a year's supply handy. Also, I'd point out that to Momons, "fundamentalist" has a rather specific meaning with regards being in favor of polygamy. Over all, I'd say Card's positions classify him as a typical religious liberal in terms of US politics. (IMHO, the widespead belief that those two terms were incompatable amongst a great many opinion leaders is part of what's been hurting the Democrats the past decade or so, but that would veer this even more into Sarek's Lounge territory.)

Here's an interview with Card about the novel.
    Having lived in Utah for 36 years, I am fairly familiar with the LDS religion (in fact, my wife and step-children are Mormon). Card's views as expressed, are common, but by no means universal...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Wow, for a board that is usually tolerant, I am basically very much surprised to see this sort of in the open combination of disdain, dislike, and loathing.

I have enjoyed reading work by both authors. But I don't get out much, so I guess perhaps there is much I have not heard about both gentlemen.

Learn something new every day, I guess.
    - LUGTrekGM

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Talking To the Sarek's Cave, Political Boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Having lived in Utah for 36 years, I am fairly familiar with the LDS religion (in fact, my wife and step-children are Mormon). Card's views as expressed, are common, but by no means universal...
    Responding over in Sarek's as we're likely to get bounced there anyhow.

EDIT: Link added.
    Last edited by Cybrludite; 12-23-2006 at 01:50 AM.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Completely OT, but I have to give props to blackcampbellq for managing to mention Walter J Williams and Tera Patrick in the same thread. I've enjoyed much of their work through the years

And yes, I'll join the "OSC is a git" group.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Who are these two you speak of? They are not SciFi writers names that I recognize.
    *looks around innocently*

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrludite
    Responding over in Sarek's as we're likely to get bounced there anyhow.
    Thank you. Hm... looks like most of this thread should have been in Sarek's. But lets keep this one open out here, as long the political part of the thread continues in there.

As I only recognize one of the three names mentioned in this thread, I don't think I have that much to add to the non-political part of the discussion myself.