Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth HS aims to disarm sword-wielding senior

Portsmouth HS aims to disarm sword-wielding senior

Portsmouth HS aims to disarm sword-wielding senior
    Patrick Agin's portrait is welcome in the Portsmouth High School yearbook, school officials say, but that medieval broadsword over his shoulder has got to go.
    http://www.eastbayri.com/story/287629847034321.php

I don't know if the Principal is being proactive before other students' parents start to complain, or it is his own overreaction. Sounds more like the latter, unless there are reports of parents defending his decision.

But considering it was just that one broadsword, maybe he should have a reshoot. If that's going to cost him money, his fellow SCA members can always chip in.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

And if it had been a civil war or a revolutionary war reenactment troupe, you know something oh more patriotic, would they still be calling for a new picture? I say let the photo stay, if Mr. Agin is known for his SCA activities, to the point of wanting to include it in HIS senior photo for the year book, it's not going to affect anyone else's world views.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    And if it had been a civil war or a revolutionary war reenactment troupe, you know something oh more patriotic,
    I heard their school mascot is a patriot armed with sword and gun.

Ooh, how's this for tasteless and inappropriate art? An American revolutionary patriot with a bomb vest holding an American flag.

--proud to have a DARK side of humor.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Nope, here's the mascot I found: Image Link.
    No visible weapons - just the head, two flag poles, on a shield you have a winged shoe, stylus and looks like a book, and the 7 snowflakes (no idea what they are).
    Phoenix...

but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

No visible weapons - just the head, two flag poles, on a shield you have a winged shoe, stylus and looks like a book, and the 7 snowflakes (no idea what they are).
    Maybe not the logo, but one of them goofy mascots that tries to hang with cheerleaders at sporting events.

You know what would be an ironic turning point in this story? That the senior got so frustrated over the yearbook photo hassle, he lay siege to the school brandishing that same sword. Then we go through the motion of "he was such a nice, quiet boy."

-- a nice, quiet boy ... with a very DARK humor.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Maybe it's just because I'm in the SCA and have had my picture taken many times with armor and swords (even in church!) but I think that principal is a politically correct paper-pushing desk jockey. The SCA doesn't promote violence, it promotes chivalry, courtesy, and good sportsmanship. And I'm sure it does that 100 times better than the HS football team.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

I'm pretty sure those really are snowflakes, Phoenix. I assume this Portsmouth is the one in New Hampshire, so they know what snow is.

I've been to Portsmouth many times. My grandfather was an engineer in the shipyard there and my mother grew up on the other side of the river in Kittery, Maine. I have a hard time imagining that Portsmouth High has a problem with violence; it's closer to Mayberry than Harlem.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Open letter to parents:

If your child's psyche is so weak that it's going to be detrimentally affected by a single picture of a kid in a yearbook with a sword...

You SUCK as a parent. Kill yourself out of shame.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

The paper is from Rhode Island, so I'm guessing that's where the high school is.

What about hands? They're weapons. Feet, too.
    Baseball bats are definitely weapons. Don't believe me, ask a cop.
    Actually, with a baseball bat (and certain knives) whether it is a "weapon" hinges on intent: "Why are you carrying that?"
    a) "Just coming from a game." = not a weapon
    b) "This neighborhood can be dangerous" = is a weapon

Since the sword in question is describes as a prop sword (unsharpened), it is at worst in the same league as a baseball bat. Bet they show people wielding those in the yearbook.

How about the wrestling team? Any pictures of their matches? *gasp* Actual violence!

Why can't people just act like adults?
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by spyone
    The paper is from Rhode Island, so I'm guessing that's where the high school is.

What about hands? They're weapons. Feet, too.
    *gasps for air*

You prove your points ... now put a sock on it. Whoo!

*sprays thread with Lysol*

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by spyone
    Why can't people just act like adults?
    Which version? American? Iraqi? Palestinian? Dutch?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Which version? American? Iraqi? Palestinian? Dutch?
    Human maybe.
    Phoenix...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    The SCA doesn't promote violence,...
    It doesn't?

Crap. Is there a pro-violent SCA type club I can join?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Talking

Human maybe.
    Human have MPD.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan