Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost ICON Material

Lost ICON Material

Just out of curiousity - and since I clearly don't remember the past terribly well on my own - which ICON sourcebooks did Last Unicorn Games have completed, but were never published?

I know the Klingon book was done. I know that much was completed for Iron & Ash, the Mirror Universe book, and some other DS9 titles. What else? That is to say, what products were actually complete in terms of text?

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

IIRC the only books that had any hinting to were:
    Blood and Honor (Klingons)
    Iron and Ash (Cardassians)
    Sky Princes of Orion (Rigel System)
    Final Frontiers (TMP Era)
    To Boldly Go (TNG Era)
    Through A Glass Darkly (Mirror Universe)
    Merchants & Traders sourcebook (DS9)

A lot of the information can be found here and here at S. John Ross' web site "Cobalt Blue"
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Do a search for "Rigel" and "Rigelians" on RPG.net
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Again, what with my bad memory and all, was any of this material folded into Decipher's stuff or was it simply discarded?

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

Some of it is referred to in the Aliens and Worlds books, slightly altered. But nowhere near the depth of material has been presented in Decipher.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Do the non-disclosure agreements signed by those who saw the original unpublished ICON documents still apply as LUG is no longer a company?

Or, more to the point, do any of the old timers here who originally saw or worked on these documents (and presumably still have copies somewhere) feel like sharing some or all of that information?

mactavish out.

I have a copy of much of the Klingon material, including the character generation, which was supplied to me in order to create characters for the official GenCon/Origins Klingon adventure the year LUG was bought up by WotC and the license transferred to Decipher, (Does anyone know if that adventure was ever run? I've never been able to get any sort of confirmation one way or the other.) I did not sign a non-disclosure agreement, but the material was given to me in confidence. I'm not certain who actually owns the copyright on the material, but I'm assuming that WotC does - after all, they released some of the authors who had written discrete sections to post it publically, and they could very well have done that without ownership. However, the character creation was a team effort and couldn't be separated out that way, so it was never released.

This puts me in a bit of a quandary. I have the material legitimately, so I use it myself, but I'm reluctant to distribute any of it. That's too bad, because there's some really neat stuff in on the Great and Mimor Houses, Klingon psionics, and the like. The "Honour" mechanics are quite cool, but I've been abstaining from posting on the thread devoted to that topic (I will say this much: look at the Romulan "Glory" rules).

The Klingon adventure was entitled The Sword of Honor (sic) and can be found at http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...ghar/sword.htm and the characters at http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...mghar/char.htm

Well... is there any way to confirm who wrote what? If you could, the next step would be asking them. I mean, we already have a sizeable chunk of the book up at untaken treks and lost episodes...

EDIT: The stuff on great and minor houses is something I'd really like to look at...

I'd forgotten about this thread.

Owen, any chance you're feeling more like sharing any of the Klingon stuff you have squirreled away?

mactavish out.

I was really hoping for a reply to Mactavish's last post. Anyone heard anything from Owen recently on this subject?

Owen... which parts did you actually have?

EDIT:
    Correlating what's available with the list in the first preview...

Chapter One: The Klingons
    Chapter Two: The Lessons of History on Steve Kenson's Lost Episodes page
    Chapter Three: Masters of War and Destiny
    Chapter Four: The Empire's Hammer
    Chapter Five: Warships probably duplicated (sans illustrations) in the Klingon SRM for spacedock
    Chapter Six: Tools of the Trade
    Chapter Seven: Qo'noS
    Chapter Eight: Worlds of the Empire on Steve Kenson's Lost Episodes page
    Chapter Nine: Klingon Character Creation available from Owen E Oulton
    Chapter Ten: Klingon Traits available from Owen E Oulton
    Chapter Eleven: Narrator's Advice on S. John's Untaken Treks page
    Chapter Twelve: Klingon Supporting Cast
    Chapter Thirteen: Binding Time

So that's four out of thirteen chapters. Hmm...

EDIT: Updated, including Owen's material.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 11-09-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    IIRC the only books that had any hinting to were:
    Blood and Honor (Klingons)
    Iron and Ash (Cardassians)
    Sky Princes of Orion (Rigel System)
    Final Frontiers (TMP Era)
    To Boldly Go (TNG Era)
    Through A Glass Darkly (Mirror Universe)
    Merchants & Traders sourcebook (DS9)

A lot of the information can be found here and here at S. John Ross' web site "Cobalt Blue"

Does anyone know what the mystery of the Regulans=Caitians (from the link "but we couldn't say that").

The Caitians were from the TOS animated series, correct? Does anyone know why that is now taboo? I thought a recent Peter David ST novel brought M'Ress forward to the 24th century, and I think she was referred to as Caitian. Maybe my brain just supplied that tag from his run of the TMP era comics from DC about 20 years ago...God I'm old...

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    Does anyone know what the mystery of the Regulans=Caitians (from the link "but we couldn't say that").

The Caitians were from the TOS animated series, correct? Does anyone know why that is now taboo? I thought a recent Peter David ST novel brought M'Ress forward to the 24th century, and I think she was referred to as Caitian. Maybe my brain just supplied that tag from his run of the TMP era comics from DC about 20 years ago...God I'm old...
    That was never really answered; the Efrosians were called Atreonids for the same apparent reason, though.

Owen, I don't expect that your feelings on this will have changed over the last years, but it is worth a shot.

Would you see any way of sharing that material with us?

I, too, am renewing my plea to share this invaluable material with the ICON fans still making use of this most excellent system.

Please, Owen... PLEASE!

mactavish out.