Thread: DM of the Rings

DM of the Rings

What LOTR would be like if played by D&D players who knew nothing about LOTR:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=14

Hilarious!

Thumbs up

Indeed

Quite funny. And sooo realistic...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Haha - if they'd have god pics for the book that would have been even funnier, with all the singing and rhyming couplets and the weirdness that is Tom Bombadil
    Ta Muchly

" Yes, black dragons are powerful. So are level-20 fireballs, demi-gods, and huge mythic beasts. But there is no force in the game as powerful as the combined selfishness and apathy of your players. "

Has he met my group?

I also liked "That which does not kill you was simply not permitted to do so for the purposes of the plot." haha
    Ta Muchly

What I found in the web comic that is similar to my experiences as GM is how difficult it is for players to stay in character. Often they say or do things which are completely inappropriate for their character or the setting. They often bring their meta-knowledge to the game too. By that I mean they will use their real world knowledge & experiences in the game even if their character doesn't have such knowledge or experiences. They will also use modern-day speech & slang in a fantasy or sci-fi setting.

The only time that works is when playing a modern-day setting RPG. But even then they often act in ways which contradict the character they've created.

I recognised almost EVERYTHING in that comic. It disturbs me that other groups have all the same flaws we do
    Ta Muchly