Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alterniverses

Romulan-Vulcan Hegemony
    This, an expansion and adaptation of the "All Our Yesterdays" Universe in which the Rornulans Reconquered Vulcan in 1270, is a universe wherein most of the AQ and BQ are under the thumb of the Two Empires of the Vulcanoid races, although the Romulan and Vulcan sections of the Hegemony compete against each other. The R-V Hegemony is countered somewhat by the "Warriors' Alliance" made up of the Klingon, Gorn, and Kzinti Empires. Though officially hostile to one another, the Two Empires are nominally allied against all others - should some other power attack one, the other would most likely intervene - through their sense of racial superiority.

The Vulcan Empire: Romulan now in nature if not in name, the Vulcan Empire also includes many of the 'Federation' races of 'our' universe, having conquered Earth, Alpha Centauri, Tellar, Betazed, and Trill, and brought the Andorians and Talarians into the Empire as near-equals. Vulcans have more respect for 'diversity' than their Romulan counterparts, and their partners can be seen serving in important positions. Conquered peoples, however, are still generally second-class citizens. Admirals Sarek and Spock, his son, are revered figures in the Empire. Three of Spock's proteges, Captains Saavik, Tuvok, and Valeris, are among the most decorated individuals in the fleet.

The Romulan Empire: On the other side of the Neutral zone, although extending significantly farther into what we know as 'Federation' space, the Rornulans keep an uneasy eye on their neighbors. Led by Praetor Tomalak, the Rornulans and their Intelligence branch, the Tal Shiar, engage in subterfuge against their enemies throughout space. Subject races in the Romulan Empire enjoy far less freedom than their counterparts in the Vulcan Empire.

The Warrior's Alliance is made up of:

The Klingon Empire: Led by Chancellor Kang, nominal head of the Alliance, and led into battle by Generals Gowron and Martok, Captains Worf and K'Ehleyr, the Empire also harbors a small colony of Humans, calling themselves the Maquis, who lead a secret resistance action against the Hegemony.

The Gorn Empire: Close friends and allies of the Klingons, the Gorn Armada's "hit it until it breaks" strategy, while brutal, is very nearly unstoppable.

The Kzinti Empire: General Chaftig, son of the Great Patriarch Ral-Asha, forged an alliance with the Klingons and Gorn, and is probably the most respected Kzin in all space. His grandfather was responsible for the "Great Drive," which extended Kzinti space by a third, and his father held that space in the Battle of Donati, which resulted in then-Captain Spock's only military defeat. Chaftig looks eager to excel them both.

The Cardassian Federation includes the worlds of Cardassia, Bolius, and Bajor, and their respective colonies and associated worlds, aligned together in a mutual defense pact against the Vulcan Empire. However, it maintains ties with the Romulan Empire, and hopes to enlist its aid should it be attacked by Vulcan. Most likely a futile hope, but one Councilor Mot clings to with a passion, despite disagreement with Councilors Tain and Bareil, who advocate closer ties with the Warrior's Alliance.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Just for the heck of it (I know these are far from likely to be 'accurate')... Maps!

"Our" Universe

"Balkan" Universe

The Union of Worlds

The Terran Empire

The "Alliance" Universe

The Romulan-Vulcan Hegemony

Hope these work...
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Haha those maps are cool! I even like the slight 3D effect of one of them! Yeah that helps quite a bit
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    What if there was no Prime Directive? Imagine the FED, going around "up-lifiting" every civilization they found. Or maybe something not so drastic, but that could end up much worse: Using various means to guide an alien culture toward and enlightened one like the FED's! I know OUR FED would never do it, but that's not the point. One could see a group of Councilors argueing that if we don't make sure every developing culture in the Quadrent doesnt eventually become upstanding members of the FED, they they will one day have aggressor species in their own back yards!
    This is pretty similar to how the Taurhai act as it is their duty to bring enlightenment to the less fortunate and while peaceful means is preferred if they have to use force so be it.

Having played with the Taurhai in my Challenger campaign, I've always thought they would be interesting to explore in a Romulan campaign.

But let me add a twist given that the Taurhai can cross vast distances quite quickly, what if they ended up meeting this version of the Federation and given the similar goals they joined together in one large union with the Romulans trapped between them?
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Well the Federation united with the Taurhai would be the death knell of the Romulan Empire! This might not be a very exciting environment, as basically everyone we know would be in the taurhair Unity / Federation or destroyed!
    Ta Muchly

How about something involving a far more fundamental change?

Thanks to Annorax and his weapon ship, all life on Earth is erased from history. Now what?

Each power existing in the altered timeline would clearly have developed in a similar fashion to the point that they should have encounterd mankind. Canon sources set these dates as follows:

Vulcans - 2063
    Klingons - 2150
    Andorians - ~2150
    Tellarites - ~2152 (?)
    Coridanites - ~2151
    Denobulans - introduced by Vulcans some time prior to 2150 (likely late 21st century)

Obviously this prevents the conflict with the Xindi and the Suliban Cabal, and interactions with dozens of other races as well.

So the Vulcans remained isolated pretty much to their own planet as they seem not to colonize many other worlds. The Klingon Empire expands unchecked by humanity, spreading to, say, two dozen star systems by the end of the 22nd century. Andoria and Vulcan continue their cycle of small wars and dodgy peace throughout the 22nd century, culminating in a war that devastates Andoria and the Imperial fleet.

The Romulans continue their infiltration of Vulcan society, working to direct their cousins toward D'era and away from Tu'Surak. This plot ultimately fails when Surak's katra is recovered in 2155 by T'Pol after the death of her mother. When the katra is transferred to T'Pau, Romulan influence - while never discovered as such - is quickly marginalized and eventually ends altogether.

Fragmentation among the Xindi due to the influence of the Sphere Builders leads to a four-front war between the Primates and Arboreall, the Guardians and Reptilians, the Insectoids, and the Aquatics as a friendly neutral to the mammalian alliance. The Sphere network is destroyed in 2163 when an Aquatic vessel sacrifices itself, crashing into one of the control Spheres and collapsing the network. The Reptilians are systematically hunted to extinction by the Primates and Arboreals, and the Insectoids establish a new homeworld beyond Xindi space.

A union between Vulcan and Xyrillia (with Denobula Triaxa, Coridan and Breen as junior members) creates a stable interstellar society in 2189, but few other warp-capable races express much interest in membership or even formal contact beyond the occasional trade agreement. The Deltans are an associated race, but keep mostly to their own world.

Betazed is swept by a plague in the late 22nd century that kills over 40% of the population. The unfortunate incident was actually the result of tampering with their history courtesy of the Cabal and their 26th century masters.

Bynaus becomes the center of computer technology for much of the quadrant, and lucrative contracts with the Ferengi Trade Consortium ensures their technologies are found well beyond their homeworld.

The Ferengi, ever eager to make a profit, return to Valakia in 2160 and sell them a cure for their genetic degradation (developed on Tandaar Prime with the assistance of Bynar medical expert systems).

Likewise, the Valakians acquire warp drive and fusion technologies from their Ferengi friends, and they quickly colonize the fourth planet in their system, eventually relocating the Menk population in its entirety. Thanks to their adaptability, the Menk thrive on the barely Class-M world, eventually building an Iron Age society with various modern supplements, courtesy of their Valakian patrons.

The Axanari conquer a series of systems populated by several Stone and Bronze Age societies. They establish the inhabited planets and client worlds and install military governors to manage their holdings. While some (mainly the Vulcans) are concerned by this, no one takes steps to prevent it until the Klingons go to war with Axanar in 2202. The war lasts for nine years and ends in a Pyrrhic victory for Qo'nos, whose fleet is in tatters. The Emperor is unseated by the Great House of Duras, and the Klingons consolidate their remaining assets around Praxis, their key energy production facility. So long as Praxis remains secure, the Klingons have nothing to worry about...

The other races of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants influenced by humanity remain relatively unchanged despite the lack of contact with mankind, though the natives of Sigma Iotia II instead remade their society in the image of 17th-century Vulcan when a copy of The Teachings of Surak was discovered in the wreckage of a Vulcan survey vessel c.2168. Vulcan explorers were pleased (or at least as pleased as Vulcans can get) when they eventually rediscovered Sigma Iotia II in the mid-23rd century and brought the Iotians into their union shortly thereafter despite their lack of warp technologies.

The late 23rd century fell into chaos when the Klingon moon exploded and Qo'nos declared war on the Xindi-Primates and their allies in a desperate grab for power and resources. They were rebuffed thanks to aid from the Valakians and Malurians as well as several companies of Nausicaan mercenaries. The Klingon Empire fell in 2299 and was rebuilt from scratch when it was bombarded by the Diaspora Device, a Xindi prototype device that scoured clean a planet's ecosystem and remade them into completely new, Xindi-compatible worlds.

This same technology was stolen by Ferengi merchants and sold to the Suliban Cabal, who used it against three Tandaaran worlds before they were defeated. A convoy of non-Cabal Suliban also acquired the technology and used it to revitalize their ecologically-devastated homeworld, and Suliban throughout the sector began returning to their homeworld in the early 23rd century.

The Tellarites fell afoul of the Axanari (before their defeat at the hands of the Klingons) and were forced into exile when their world, Tellar, was destroyed by fusion weapons detonated in their atmosphere. They wandered the galaxy in small convoys of ships until the mid-23rd century, when the 250,000 survivors were granted sancutary in Vulcan union space and settled on various worlds therein.

Without mankind, the future is unclear. While removing Earth from the equation returned the Krenim Imperium to their greatest level in history, it caused unimaginable havoc in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Annorax retired his weapon ship and returned to his wife where he leads a life filled with happiness and contentment.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    They don't have much else to export, do they?

Gotta point out that oil is used in many other industries, it is broken down into chemical feedstocks for plastics, medical, agracultural, and many other uses.

So they'd suffer a major setback but they wouldn't collapse.

Having watched the "Voth" episode of VOY (Origin, i think is the title), I came up with this one:

One Galaxy Under Voth:

Divergence point: Rather than evacuate the planet, the Voth save their world. So, 65 million years ago, Voth Prime (Earth to us 314's) is host to a space faring race. So, when the Vulcans, Klingons and everyone else got warp capable, the Voth were there, ancient and wise and WAAAY more advanced. Soon, either by Diplomacy, war or trade, the Voth have created a virtual utopia.

Ok, i know we all hate the "altered world is better than ours" scenerio, but there are a couple of ways to throw 'serpents in the garden'

Maybe the Voth havent been as 'benificent' and 'giving' as they appear to be; perhaps they've been culturally engineering worlds to suit their needs. Maybe there is unrest amoungst the members of the Voth Union (Klingons and Cardassians probably). Maybe the Borg are coming, and there is nothing they can do to stop them.

Or, maybe a crew of a small ship from something called "The Federation of Planets" shows up, and they claim to be from the third planet of the Sol system, that many of the Union members are allies and developed independently in their reality, and that they know how to change it.

I like the Voth idea... also, there are a lot of other ancient empires for the Voth to interact with over 65 million years...

Maybe the Voth's being around might have kept some other folks around, too... instead of Federation, Klingons, and Romulans, we'd have Voth Union, H'urq Empire, and Iconian Republic...

I like to use that weird "Echoing" in my universes... in reality, everything should be vastly different between universes like The Federation and the Terran Empire, and in the TE, there should be no nearly identical people... and nearly identical people in nearly identical situations (on the Enterprise or DS9) should be out of the question... but there are, and there usually are in my other universes as well.

OTOH, I suppose if you really want to play with reality, you could always have a Voth "Captain Kurr'khh" and "Mr. Sss'pok"

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Alright, this thread has inspired me to write a couple timelines to use as BtFF articles. I invite y'all to do writups for consideration too...
    Well, I wouldn't mind doing that with mine... I haven't had a BTTF credit since issue #1... and I can't remember what I did to get a shout-out in that one, either...

The only downside to the Voth idea is that you can't play with Mirror copies of the main characters, because humanity doesn't exist (or do they?). But it could be interesting.. Another idea of playing with the Voth is that in the episode Distant Origin, the Voth accept that Galen was right, and head to Earth, and ask to live there, arriving a few days later, with Voyager in tow, at massively fast transwarp speeds! - That could go really well for the Federation (New friends and allies with powerful technology) or really badly (The Voth occupy Earth!)

MacT I like your scenario.. It would be particularly cool if Humans turn up, and work out what happened (somehow?!) perhaps their appearance triggered an anomaly in Annoraxes equations, and his wife dissapears again! So back he comes, and tries to work out what is going wrong haha
    Ta Muchly

The ancient empires idea tickles me. Imagine a universe where things did go radically differently. When mankind reached for the stars with warp drive, he didn't find a galaxy of equals and even more backward technologies. Instead he came into the galaxy as it would have been if the major extinct empires of the regular show had never gone extinct: Iconians, Preservers, Sargon's people (TOS), etc. Instead of hundreds of little independent star governments, there are a half dozen spanning the entire galaxy. The hundreds of races we know are: member worlds, isolated single-world independents, subservient, or extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Well the Federation united with the Taurhai would be the death knell of the Romulan Empire! This might not be a very exciting environment, as basically everyone we know would be in the taurhair Unity / Federation or destroyed!
    Depends on how one spins it...
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

This isn't really an Alterverse as how I would have liked to have seen ENT go with the Romulan war (yeah, I know there's a thread on that, but this is alternative-Trek history).

Looking at WWII, and how we were allies with the Russians against the bigger threat of Fascism, and how things quickly fell appart after the war, and since most people say that the Klingons were a metaphor for the Russians (all the way up to DS9, were difference of opinions with our Klingon friends causes our alliance to begin to fall apart), and since ENT tended to throw cannon out the window anyway,
    What if the Klingons were our allies during the Romulan war? I always thought it would be cool if there was a race in Trek who was a (potential)member that falls out over missunderstandings, only to become a rival.

Sorry to clutter the thread.

Oh, and what if the Probe wasn't satisfied by finding 2 (and a half) whales in all of Earth's oceans? How does the Movie Era FED survive when it's HQ is gone? And is the Probe able to hunt out humans and revenge the cetacians? (And why didn't the Xindi acquatics help? I mean they must have an underwater translator, right? )

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    This isn't really an Alterverse as how I would have liked to have seen ENT go with the Romulan war (yeah, I know there's a thread on that, but this is alternative-Trek history).

Looking at WWII, and how we were allies with the Russians against the bigger threat of Fascism, and how things quickly fell appart after the war, and since most people say that the Klingons were a metaphor for the Russians (all the way up to DS9, were difference of opinions with our Klingon friends causes our alliance to begin to fall apart), and since ENT tended to throw cannon out the window anyway,
    What if the Klingons were our allies during the Romulan war? I always thought it would be cool if there was a race in Trek who was a (potential)member that falls out over missunderstandings, only to become a rival.

Sorry to clutter the thread.
    Well... no, think about it. Let's say that the Romulans attacked Rigel V in the course of their war (mentioned in the Sky Princes material, I think...) and Earth Starfleet, while fighting heroically, doesn't do quite so well in helping the Rigelians. The Rigelians have never been mentioned as being militarily powerful, but they do seem to have an extensive trade network. A devastating attack on Rigel V might change their attitude toward the war and cause them go far afield in looking for military allies. We know they dealt with the Klingons.

So the Rigelians make appeals to the most powerful Klingon houses for military aid, and maybe the incentives are strong enough to commit the Klingons fully to the war effort.

From here... well, I guess it's what you want to make of it. Does the war escalate into an apocalyptic conflagration that consumes the Beta Quadrant? The Orion Syndicate would totally clean up. Petty Nausicaan warlords would rule planetary fiefs in the dead systems that would have been the RNZ. The Vulcans see the fruits of interstellar politics and isolate themselves completely. The Romulans flee their ruined empire, the Klingon houses squabble over petty feuds. Humans and Andorians are the trash of the galaxy, drifting from colony to colony, trying to escape from slavers and totalitarian regimes...

Or... the Klingons make territorial gains on the Romulan Empire. Nothing drastic, but enough to make them wealthier than in the normal timeline. The Rigelians, seeing an opportunity for gain, formally ally with the Klingon Empire and insinuate themselves into the empire's economy. Perhaps a cunning and farsighted Klingon leader moves his house to the Rigel system (conquering Rigel VII for the Rigelians? You want the Orions to know who's boss now...) and declares the United Empire of Planets to be born. The Vulcans, aghast, isolate themselves. The Tellarites hop on board the Empire's gravy train. Earth and Andor are absorbed into the Empire or brought to heel with force. Flash-forward a hundred years to the heroic starships of the Empire battling alien computers, devious Tholians or engaged in brinksmanship with the increasingly aggressive Romulans.

This would be a good timeline for a "Find out what happened!" episode, as a timelost crew follows the nuances of temporal editing through a similar but disturbing universe, to a dramatically worse universe, until the real cause of the disturbance is found and space battles ensue.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry