Thread: Star Trek Legacy

Star Trek Legacy

any thoughts on the PC version of Star Trek Legacy?

the rumormill on the Internet seems to be all bad, but I was looking forward to this.

No one locally has a copy right now though...

The story is interesting, the graphics are nice (more than my system can fully handle right now at any decent setting), but the controlls are lousy. It seems to be a direct xbox to pc port (up to keeping the xbox control notations for what buttons to hit in the hints).

I'll get around to finishing it one of these days. I'm about halfway through the single player campaign right now.

You gonna Asspierce-me, or just send me a dead Rat?
    I hate the controls too, which don't appear to involve cloaking or tractor beams, and
    the ship models do look gorgeous, with an interesting ship selection too. Still, the graphics don't make up for the play control, and the moderate lack of ship variation.
    "Always beware of anything said by a person with a smile." -Cronan-sama
    http://www.cronan-memorial.com

http://sites.google.com/site/memoryeta
    Initially Trek, but haphazard Archival Site, no need to make it a Wiki.

http://web.archive.org/web/200410151.../ssd/ssds.html
    Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteo
    I hate the controls too, which don't appear to involve cloaking or tractor beams, and
    the ship models do look gorgeous, with an interesting ship selection too. Still, the graphics don't make up for the play control, and the moderate lack of ship variation.
    There are cloaking and tractorbeams, you just have to have your reticle over the target, hit a key (I think R but I haven't played for a couple of weeks so I don't remember exactly) and select the right option from the radial menu. It's a very annoying system.

Cloaking, when availible (so far only one or two missions that I recall) is in the engineering/self destruct menu (F i think).

For Tractor Beam its F key and for Cloaking its R key

With the Wii game coming out soon . . . I thought I would resurrect this thread. From what I am reading from user reviews, Legacy appears to be a good game concept . . . but sucked on delivery. Have the patches helped? Is there a modding community that has utilized this game and brought it up to what it was suppose to be?

Has anyone played it enough to let me know whether it is one to purchase?

I mean I bought Starfleet Command 3 . . . which was a great game concept . . . fun to play . . . but I never got into the modded community . . . where it seems to have been given a rebirth. But I don't know if that has survived the end of support of the multi-player server.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by ds9guy View Post
    the rumormill on the Internet seems to be all bad
    Well, I haven't played the game and don't plan to, but...

I just wanted to say that I think the above comment refers to everything that's EVER been discussed on the Internet.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Not always. Sometimes there is debate regarding theories. Sometimes is discussions of alternatives. Sometimes its people putting the truth out, which is better then the lie. Sometimes it is not rumor at all, but a picture, or a graph, or not even words.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I think the game play is pretty fun (with an occasional mission that's just impossible, even on the easiest difficulty), but failed to deliver a coherent experience.

D.C. Fontana obviously wrote a whole story for the game (hinted at during game play, and further explained in cut-scenes which are curiously on the CD as a complete extra viewable at any time). But the story is never conceived. Sisko's portion of the story is so completely trimmed down from what it probably originally would have been that Avery Brooks provides a voice for one, fleeting flashback mission.

And this could all be fixed for the Wii version... but it won't. Bethesda put out the game waaaaaay before it was finished to meet a release date. Patches can fix bugs, but they won't fix the fact that the game isn't complete.

Still... if you find it cheap, it's fun.
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon text."
    - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country