Thread: Corgi Star Trek ships

Corgi Star Trek ships

Have you all seen these ships from Corgi?

http://www.corgi.co.uk/CorgiSite/1/0/StarTrek/
    http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/7771.shtml

I currently have the Bird of Prey and Enterprise-D. They're quite detailed and impressive. FYI, they're also available from U.S. retailers.

Are these supposed to be scale models? That seems hard to believe for the Enterprise-D, but I notice that the BoP would come out at about 150 meters to the original Enterprise's 288.6. Considering how many bloody sizes we've seen in BoPs, that doesn't seem outrageously out of scale...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

They're not scale models, and they're not in scale to each other. Corgi makes die-cast toys.

Actually, Corgi are better known for their scale models these days - although they are diecasts. They target the "I like accurate models but can't be bothered to build and paint them" market, especially for WW2 aircraft. It seems to be quite lucrative - some of the aircraft models trade for over £100!

These models are scale - in the sense that they're collectible, accurate replicas, but are definitely not to scale with each other. IMO, the TOS ship is gorgeous - the other two are a little over-detailed! Weirdest packaging I've ever seen though!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)