Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinshaya

Kinshaya

Ususally I hate species that are nothing but slavering maniacs to menace protagonists, but there's something about the Kinshaya that intrigue me. Maybe it's the questions raised by the lack of information, or the quasi-mythic dread they're described as evoking in the Klingons. Whatever it is... I think they're cool.

I'm throwing out the question: How've you used the Kinshaya in the past? How'd the players like them? Or, if you haven't, what would you change about them, (if anything), to fit them into the Trek universe now?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I've had Klingon PCs get involved in a campaign I called Kinshaya Rising. This on going plotline features a resurgent Kinshaya fleet crossing the Klingon border in an unstoppable wave. In the best traditions of PCs, my players devised a tactic that ran so completely contrary to the way Kinshaya think that it helped the Empire stop the Kinshaya, but they lost about 20% of their territory and is called the War of Shame by the battered survivors. Things are almost like the immediate aftermath of the Korean war, no peace, in fact no negotiations have occurred. The quasi-armistice is just a pause. The Klingons are rapidly upgrading their ships to try and match the still ship for ship superior Kinshaya Globe Ships. The PCs are currently assigned on a long cruise to try and find replacement sources for the resources lost to the Demon Possessed. This campaigh is set just after the TMP period, during the lost years time frame.
    I have not gotten around to expanding the limited background of the Kinshaya, nor have I had the players meet Kinshaya outside of ship to ship battles yet, but that is in the works.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

I did something similar to what Pericles did except I had the Kinshaya reappear in the neutral space shared between the Klingon Empire, the Romulan Empire and the First Federation.

It was for a Romulan Campaign and the crew had no idea what they were as their ship was crippled. They managed to escape the initial assault but along the way uncovered that the Klingons were apparently at war with this 'new' race.

Their actions in turn ended up causing massive friction between the Romulan and Klingon Empires which eventually led to a three-way border war and the end of what remained of the alliance between the two.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Sorry could someone give a brief overview, as I have no idea what these are from, I've not heard of them before, and I am a big trek geek
    Ta Muchly

The Kinshaya are a mysterious race to the galactic south of the Klingon empire in the FASA Star Trek RPG setting. The Klingons fought them about a decade before the Four Years War with the Federation. Not much is known about the Kinshaya, they are only mentioned in the FASA Klingons RPG sourcebook and that was less than a page of infromation. The only hard facts are they use globe shaped ships, have a higher tolerance for radiation than even the Gorn. They fight without mercy and their ships are superior class for class than anything the Klingons have.

The Klingons found one body floating in space after a battle, beamed it aboard their ship and, to their horror, found out Kinshaya can also tolerate hard vacuum. The thing killed most of the officers with just a combat blade before being killed. The Kinshaya fight with such a fury that it gave them that name, which in FASA Klingon means "Demon Possesed."

There is a crude illustration of the one captured Kinshaya, roughly 2.5m tall, about 150kilos, bipedal, massive arms and shoulders, head attached directly to those shoulders, bat like vestigial membranes under the arms, two large eyes, no nose, flaps of skin where the mouth should be, and according to the FASA narrative, a cude motion sensing organ in the back of the skull. That is pretty close to the extent of official information on the Kinshaya.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Why is it that these weird-ass aliens without limbs fly round in really cool ships

Seriously though, yeah they sound quite cool and could be a very intriguing alien species for the players to come across, and give them quite a few shocks... beyond that, there could be further exploration of their society... For one thing they aren't much known about, so that means there could be many layers to why that is, post Tos (Something tells me their planet may have went the way of the Tribbles haha). It could be quite intriguing to carve out that corner of the universe
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian

Seriously though, yeah they sound quite cool and could be a very intriguing alien species for the players to come across, and give them quite a few shocks... beyond that, there could be further exploration of their society... For one thing they aren't much known about, so that means there could be many layers to why that is, post Tos (Something tells me their planet may have went the way of the Tribbles haha). It could be quite intriguing to carve out that corner of the universe
    Although in my Lost Years campaign the Klingons are no where near ready to strike back, the Klingons are both livid and embarassed to have been so completely outclasses and outfought by the Kinshaya. Plans for revenge burns hot throughout the Empire and if things go the way the Klingons hope, there will be a bloody good reason no mention of the Kinshaya is made in later eras. First, due to galactic geography, none of the other powers of the Alpha Quadrant know about the Demon Possessed, and two, the Klingons hope to launch a war of extermination to expunge the current humiliation caused by the War of Shame.

Just found this when i was looking for pics of the meni-cruiser.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Just found this when i was looking for pics of the meni-cruiser.
    There is a lot of Terok Nor in that ship

Haha yeah Atolm is a pretty cool drawer

Sounds interesting, and yes, it could be a bloody battle for the Klingons. Of course, if these aliens are blood-dripping savages, why did they just stop at the one ship, and leave the Klingons alone ?
    Ta Muchly

Haha yeah Atolm is a pretty cool drawer

Sounds interesting, and yes, it could be a bloody battle for the Klingons. Of course, if these aliens are blood-dripping savages, why did they just stop at the one ship, and leave the Klingons alone ?
    In my campaign, they were only stopped after conquering nearly a quarter of the empire when the Klingons (the PCs) found a tactic that confused the linear thinking Kinshaya, at least in my concept of the Kinshaya they are linear thinkers, and allowed the Klingons to halt the Kinshaya juggernaut. Things have slowed to a hostile stalemate while both sides reorganize, reconsolidate, and plan for the next step. I do intend to add more detailed information on the Kinshaya culture as time allows.

Actually that might explain those huge battle-spacestations the Klingons have in the Heartland - like Tyko G'kor (sp?) that may well have been to try and halt their attacks !
    Ta Muchly

Actually that might explain those huge battle-spacestations the Klingons have in the Heartland - like Tyko G'kor (sp?) that may well have been to try and halt their attacks !
    Where are those from? Never heart of any big klingon space stations in their hartlands...FASA stuff?

Err no... DS9 ! It was in the episode where Sisko and O'Brien go hunting shapeshifters in the Klingon Empire
    Ta Muchly

Oh my, I have seen the episode recently. Well, thanks for clearing that up for me I should rewatch Trek again anytime soon!