Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CODA Trek Books for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by D.S.McBride
    Pretty much verbatim what my (and the gang's) feelings were on the matter, LQ; we gave Coda its three-session trial run, and the broad consensus was, "It just doesn't feel like Star Trek."
    You know, I find this viewpoint interesting. I've never had any problems making my CODA-based games "feel like Star Trek". And I've been running it since the original playtest (through four games, with another in the planning stages).

*shrug*

Maybe it's just me...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    You know, I find this viewpoint interesting. I've never had any problems making my CODA-based games "feel like Star Trek". And I've been running it since the original playtest (through four games, with another in the planning stages).

*shrug*

Maybe it's just me...
    I wonder if people have trouble making LotR feel like LotR.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I'm not sure how mechanics can make it feel more or less 'like Trek' in any way? I just massively preferred the mechanics of Coda, because they were more streamlined and simple to run, without removing the complexity of the genre.. If anything it felt 'more like Trek' because I wasn't battling with confusing rules!

I also had zero problems with meshing the source materials from Icon books with Coda anyway, so I feel no need to ditch either set of rulebooks!
    Ta Muchly

ICON, CODA ... ta-may-ta, ta-ma-ta ...

Let's discuss who's gonna buy my books dammit! I got five Ferengi kids to feed!

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

P.S. I got ten, check nine, posts to go to the thousand club.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

I want the starship book.

I certainly hadn't intended to stir up any hornets' nests here, but since there have been some questions posed, I'll try my best to answer them (and quickly, since I've got a student waiting on me ).

The Coda system was, at least from our perspective, very much influenced by the d20 concept; one person - can't remember exactly whom - referred to d20 as the lingua franca of the RPG world. The group and I just couldn't seem to shake that impression - we kept seeing WotC trademarks popping up, and the feeling that we were part of having the Trek round peg mashed into the d20 square hole. Yes, the system is much more streamlined (in a number of ways); yes, it avoids at least some of Icon's inherent problems. Yet for every Windows *, there must be a Linux: the counterpoint that makes an issue of standing out from the mainstream.

I'm not going to try to proselytize for Icon as the RPG world's Linux, but I think we do need to have something that differentiates from the "standard"...if said standard is not fulfilling needs, even ones as subjective and ultimately unquantifiable as "feelings". Anyway, have to go - the student's chewing on the ankle and it's staining the carpet. Later.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Don't argue with cheap books, man ¬___¬

What other material do you got written?
    Sorry, TK, I'm late on this one.

For what game? ICON or CODA?

LQ

Sorry, Thierry, another board member beat you to it.

LQ

Quote Originally Posted by ThierryD
    I want the starship book.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidator Queeg
    Sorry, TK, I'm late on this one.

For what game? ICON or CODA?

LQ
    Both/either.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Are you doing the layout stuff for BTFF? You may have some of it. I wrote a few bits of stuff for BTFF. I have more but never did get around to submitting it, though.

Other than my Ferengi stuff, I've done (waiting in BTFF queue):

Beyond the Final Frontier Submission #1
    By Steven A. Cook
    January 23, 2006
    Word Count: 5,500+

Contents:

1. Merchant Professional Abilities
    2. Free Trader Professional Abilities
    3. Merchant Professional Development Packages
    4. Rogue Professional Abilities
    5. Rogue Professional Development Packages
    6. Personal Development Packages
    7. Edges and Flaws
    8. Subterfuge Technology
    9. Starship Officer Professional Development Packages and Advancement Packages

Beyond the Final Frontier Submission #2

Cross-Profession Advancement Packages (36 in total)
    By Steven A. Cook
    April 10, 2006
    Word Count: 3,000+

The ICON stuff I'd have to dig for on my archive cds. I ran three series (exploration TOS, exploration TNG, and a raiders DS9 series), so I have all the sector info for them, advancement packages, episodes, NPCs, and all the other normal notes and stuff one generates during campaigns.

Cheers,

LQ

P.S. I never did finish the stat write-ups for those Ferengi ships you drew! I guess selling my books I won't be able to now!

P.S. I never did finish the stat write-ups for those Ferengi ships you drew! I guess selling my books I won't be able to now!
    You can always do the stats before you ship the book off. I feel fairly certain that the new owner would understand the delay.... (Basically, this means, "You don't get off that easy!")
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I don't have all the files... but somehow, deep down, I knew I'd end up doing the stats too : P

hopefully I'll be able to use them in a game soon...

LOL! I'm just not a very good ship stat kinda guy. Character options and fluff writing I love to do, but ship stats put me to sleep...

LQ

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    I don't have all the files... but somehow, deep down, I knew I'd end up doing the stats too : P

hopefully I'll be able to use them in a game soon...

LOL! I'm just not a very good ship stat kinda guy. Character options and fluff writing I love to do, but ship stats put me to sleep...

LQ
    I enjoy the window-shopping, not the calculating (and isn't the weapons purchasing thing kinda weirdly over-complex?). I kind of wish there were more ship edges/flaws though...