Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hailing frequencies closed...

Hailing frequencies closed...

...I'm going to head off for the second star to the left, straight on 'til morning, guys. TrekRPGNet isn't what it once was, I don't think. It seems to have become more of a stomping ground for certain groups to launch sneering attacks on others at the drop of a hat, and I for one am getting a little sick of being denigrated because I happen to share a lot of the philosophies with the background of the very series which this site is here to support.

I'm not sure why it's happened, but it's happened, and for me, at least, the spark is gone.

So I'll bid everyone a hearty farewell after, what, seven years? I hope to see some of you guys around the 'Net in other places, but we'll have to leave that to the winds of fate.

Owen, can you deactivate my accunt, please? Thanks.

Aldaron, signing off...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

I for one enjoyed your posts, and you will be missed
    Ta Muchly

Sneering attacks? Uh-oh. I know I haven't been around the boards much lately, but where is this going on?

Alas, I shall miss another veteran of the boards! Take care, Aldaron!

Cheers,

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Political forum, and yeah I am getting pretty tired of that place too - same old same old
    Ta Muchly

Ah, 'nuff said. There was a time when members could discuss politics at length in public forums here. A Tale of Two Boards, no doubt. But, to quote Spock, it was "Surely, the best of times."

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Damnation...
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

That's really too bad to hear, Aldaron.

But it seems to me that most of what troubles you comes from the political forum, where I sometimes get the feeling that a question as innocent as "Do you like tea better than coffee" would take approximatively five posts to degenerate into a heated argument between those soppy, tree-hugging, leftist Europeans and the self-righteous, bloodthirsty, fascist Americans.

So I'd advise you to keep away from that board for a while and see how you like the other parts of the forum. There are still some good things around here (provided you can bear the Enterprise-bashing, Voyager-bashing, Berman&Braga-bashing and... oh, never mind )

Then again, I should be working on my PC's writeup for the forum RPG game instead of writing here
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Yeah but at least Voyager bashing etc is STARTREK, which is what the forum is for!
    Ta Muchly

I'm very sad seen Alderon, or anyone that has been here for a long time go. Magnus saved our communitie's forums that we (old and new members) could have an ongoing opportunity to share thoughts and insights and have a (heated) discussion now and then. Star Trek itself is at a tunring point. Being off air right now, having produced two installments Enterprise and Nemesis that diveded the fans. But Trek XI is in the making, so Alderon, what about a long term break? Why has your account to be deactivated? Why burn all the chances of ever coming back? Just let it rest. And I hope that once Trek is taking wind again, this forum might do so as well. If more and more of the old time posters leave this place, it'll be quite sad...

Farewell, Alderon, you'll be missed...

You know, this is absolutely absurd. I left these boards for several years because of the political nonsense. Is there really a place for politics here? This is supposed to be a place for Star Trek and LotR roleplaying.

While I often enjoy a lively political debate, I also believe that - if it's driving away contributing members from the main purpose of the board - perhaps it's time to lock it down again. I'd much rather keep members like Aldaron around who actually have something Trek-related to offer. If I want to talk politics, I go to political bulletin boards and post.

Anyway, I am certainly sad to see Aldaron go. I hope it's not a permanent self-imposed exile.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Can't agree more! yeah we put a political forum up because people HAD to talk politics, but then it just became the same old crap every week, so I am leaving it myself. I can understand why he's leaving, I've had enough of it too!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Can't agree more! yeah we put a political forum up because people HAD to talk politics, but then it just became the same old crap every week, so I am leaving it myself. I can understand why he's leaving, I've had enough of it too!
    But have you leave the whole boards? Can't we just make it an option to renounce membership to the political boards as you yourself have opted for? Then we'd be able to discuss RPGs, Trek, LotR and all the other nice things that made this board into a speacial place!

Sorry I wasn't clear - I am only leaving the political forum, since it's subscription only ... as soon as I figure out how, or a mod does it for me
    Ta Muchly

I did get that, I was just hoping that Alderon would see what you are doing and might decide to go down that road as well, leaving the political forum behind and stay on at the gamers forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron
    ... the spark is gone.
    I know what you mean and I feel exactly the same. A few years ago, this place was alive, filled with enthusiasm. It felt good coming here because you could always be sure to find something interesting and exciting. And everybody seemed to share a love for the essence of Star Trek. That has changed.
    Today, everywhere you look, not just in the political forum, you find fear and animosity towards the unknown or those who are different, self-righteous condemnations of such differences, instead of exploring them with an open mind, and an inhumane indifference to human beings being robbed of basic rights, or even support for such grave injustice in the name democracy, patriotism, and a delusional fight against evil.
    It appears the ethics of Captain Picard have been replaced by those of Jack Bauer, and few people here seem to care.

I won't terminate my membership, although I've been seriously thinking about that at times, but I'll probably restrict myself to lurking.

Hope dies last.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost